• You are not logged in.

Wanting to learn something new...

• Started by simonh
    • 3 Replies:

As this forum has no Off-Topic section, I've had to post this here.

Next month will be my Colemak anniversary. I'm keen to get stuck into learning a new skill - probably Gregg shorthand (Simplified). I've tried Teeline, but I find it too ambiguous to want to learn. Anyway...

Are there any other useful skills which a Colemaker should be using/learning?

On my list so far are:

learn shorthand
    learn a new language
    learn a computer language
    learn morse code
    learn to levitate *
    learn to become invisible *

* I have books on these subjects already. Seriously.

Any new ideas appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited by simonh (24-Mar-2009 19:32:45)

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

- Extend your keyboard layout. I could show you my own PKL setup, but I think there'll be stronger functionality out soon (multi-extension). I just lurv pressing Caps-A-4 (=Alt-F4) then Caps-Space (=Enter) to close a program, or Caps-F/P to back/forward on the browser, without my right hand ever needing to mouse around to get tendonitis - or it can leaf around in books instead, or my favourite: Coffee mug duty!

- Become a Vim (my preference) or Emacs (not dissing that, either) guru! Text editing was never so groovy.

- If you already know Vim, take on Vimperator? I haven't yet, but it may still happen.

- Learn a scripting language. If you're on Windows, AutoHotkey gets my vote with AutoIt a close second. Or, if you're serious, I hear good things about Lua (which is so fast and yet useable that WoW and several other games got written in it!!!). Scripting away your computer problems is simply GREAT!

- Learn to play a(nother) musical instrument. It's a big challenge, but extremely rewarding if you persevere. Your typing would likely benefit at some level too, as a side effect.

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Mar-2009 19:53:24)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I'm assuming you're doing this just as a hobby--to challenge yourself--and not because you're looking to make money with it.  If that's correct....

For natural languages, go for Esperanto, with the idea that Colemak:Qwerty::Esperanto:English.  :)

For programming languages, try Prolog, Lisp, or Smalltalk.  I can personally vouch for Prolog:  It'll teach you some things about formal logic, and once you have your epiphany and "get it," it can even help your general problem solving ability (as in, away from the 'pute).

Levitation and invisibility are iffy.  If you're going to go that route, consider delving into "Neuro-Linguistic Programming" (NLP).  Approach it with an open mind (not too open a wallet, though) and it'll change the way you think about thinking!  I can't really vouch for the persuasion side of the NLP, but the therapeutic side is quite interesting.  "Frogs Into Princes" is a good book to get started with.

Other interesting authors for mind-expanding books include Harry Lorayne, Tony Buzan, and Win Wenger.  The somewhat regrettably titled book "How To Be Twice As Smart" pools a lot of those tricks together into one place.  Some guy borrowed that book from me and never returned it, so I guess he liked it, too.  :P

Anyway, have fun!

Last edited by Phynnboi (25-Mar-2009 09:43:48)

Yeah, if you want to keep an 'open mind'...

Large%20Hole%20In%20Head%20Before.gif

...just make sure you know the difference between openness of mind and a hole in your head!  ;D

I love the concept of Esperanto and the language itself too, but after learning a bit it died off for me. Thing is, the opportunities to use it are so limited. Nowadays, I think I'd rather learn latin than perfect my esperanto. A lot more work, but also more useful - sadly enough. Mi amas la lingvon, sed neniam ĝin uzas nuntempe...  :(

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Mar-2009 10:08:47)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***