• You are not logged in.

Hello, and newbie needs help

• Started by phil_stl
    • 6 Replies:

Hello everyone,

My name is Phillip and I'm 21 and my experiences so far are as follows: I already feel some pain in my hands + wrists; I'm using a qwerty microsoft ergonomic keyboard at home + a flat keyboard at work, I type 60wpm and use the computer 10-14 Hrs/day.  I want to buy two kinesis keyboards and I like the colemak and dvorak layouts.  I'm only interested in comfort, I don't need to share my PC's and can commit to one layout.

2ish Questions:
    Compared to Dvorak, are there any other advantages Colemak has other than: less finger travel, a few less awkward key locations for comfort & speed and the easier/quicker switch over from qwerty, if so what are they?

The thing that gets me is how Dvorak is more recognized by various operating systems and other stuff... how will that affect me?  And/or how will I use Colemak if I decide to go with it? Simply re-mapping keys to different locations through the memory of the Kinesis keyboard and then placing some hoolean stickers on the keycaps?

Did you RTFM?  ;)  (There's a point on Dvorak down that page.)

I think Dvorak and Colemak are about as good to type on once you know them equally well, but it doesn't stop there. The difference in ease of learning should be substantial, and you can even learn Colemak one hand at a time if you wish with the Tarmac (transitional Colemak) layout.

Using Dvorak I had trouble with some shortcuts: The worst was that Ctrl-W/V were next to each other and a really long stretch/move for the left hand to do. Attempting to paste text while mousing would lead to closing the window instead, and my forum post would be lost to my chagrin!

With Colemak, I also find it much simpler to use QWERTY computers. Most people will use QWERTY a little when they're at work or with friends, and then it's easier on the head that fewer keys move around each time you switch - at least, that's what I and several others feel. The ZXCVB and QW see so much shortcut use too, and as mentioned it isn't just that they're in a familiar place but that they're easy to reach with the left hand only so you can mouse with your right and copy/paste/quit/close/what-have-you with your left.

The implementation of Colemak isn't a problem to me. I have Windows, Linux and Mac installs/definitions with me on my USB stick, as well as the wonderful PKL program for Windows which lets me run Colemak in full Turbo mode ('extend key' goodness!) portably anywhere I'm allowed to use a USB drive! My USB drive is a U3 one that even autoruns itself when inserted, if the computer allows it.

I've never used stickers myself. Did you see my topic on making your own Colemak board? There's an awesome pic of a painted Kinesis there; if I had a Kinesis I'd paint it and just let it be unmarked - but if I needed markings I'd paint it and put Hoolean or other stickers on. Or you could go crazy like the steampunk modders, heh.

Last edited by DreymaR (27-May-2009 08:49:20)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

So if I were to remap the keys in the Kinesis advantage's memory then I wouldn't need to worry about changing the compatibility with any operating system or worry about re-mapping it on the computer correct?

Then I just buy some hooleon stickers, place them on and I'm good to go?!?

That is correct and will work as you expect. However, you may or may not find that:

* Software remapping is more flexible. Putting a USB stick into someone else's computer is easier than carrying your Kinesis around all the time.
    * Stickers are superfluous. You _are_ touch typing, right?

Yes and I may go the software route on usb later (so if use someone else's computer which I don't currently) but I'm not that interested in learning on how to run the software until I have to and I figure the keyboard comes with simple step by step instructions on how to re-map the keys.  Though I'm guessing the software is probably as easy as remaping with the keyboard whatever...

Yes I'm touch typing... you are right I probably won't need them though I am getting a free sample to see how confortable they are.  Though I do type just as much in french as I do in english and I figure that I may need to use them for any special caracters that I program onto ... wait I wonder if I can actually program the key to do different functions when combined with "shift" for example.

Running the software (Portable Keyboard Layout) is easier than remapping, but it's your call.

I like to have visual aid in the start. I learned the layout on a completely blank keyboard and it worked fine, but passwords and suchlike are a bitch. Besides, the visual aid helps the learning process I think. In PKL you get a help image that even shows the different shift states and dead keys. I find that very handy indeed; nowadays I know my Colemak so I only use it whenever I've forgotten where I put one of my many rarely used dead keys!  :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Being able to look down at the keys is also very convenient when you have to type single handed, eg. while on the phone. :-)