• You are not logged in.

Previous hunt and pecker, switching over

• Started by Fizzid
    • 2 Replies:

I can hunt and peck qwerty at 40-75 wpm (depending if I can spew what's in my head or have to type what's on screen).  I use 3 fingers on my right hand, and 2 fingers on my left.  I can look away for brief periods while typing words I know well.  I have been programming professionally for 12 years, so it hasn't held me back at all.  My problem is that I have been developing RSI symptoms.  I think it's because I hover my left hand over the keyboard, which makes my arm sore.  So I figured I should learn to touch type finally.  While looking around I discovered colemak and dvorak, and figured I should try one of them since I'm starting over anyhow.  It's been easier so far learning colemak.  On day 4 I'm up to about 30 WPM without looking. 

Anyhow, figured I'd drop in and say hi, and maybe drop by every now and then and update you all on my progress. :) 

This was written in colemak so it took a few minutes :)

Nice to hear you're doing well, Fizzid. I've been using Colemak for about a year and a half. I can still remember the first few weeks when typing this would have taken several minutes.

As you are a programmer you may be interested in Colemak for Vim:

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=50

and Emacs:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Welcome Fizzid! You've made a wise decision. Just don't overdo it in the starting phase, because you're bound to experience a little stress while learning. And take care to observe other good habits like position changes, underarm rests if you can get'em, breaks, good enough lighting etc.

If you have real problems, I recommend ergophysiotherapy to strengthen the fine musculature and local circulation. Basically that's about a very light load and lots of reps, working the whole muscle ensemble from fingers to shoulders - but to get it right you should really have expert help because it should be fitted to your individual physique.

There's also those lovely Kinesis boards that transfer a lot of work to your thumbs and let your hands rest more naturally. Never went for one myself, but I hear they're good. Not sure what switches they use because that's another issue: I'm partial to buckling springs myself these days and I do believe that you don't want to be using cheapo membrane boards too much because you'll keep hammering your fingers into the bottom with those and those shocks aren't good for you - it's like running on asphalt with bad shoes! I believe the Kinesis boards use good tactile switches though - but they are expensive. Should be worth it if you need it of course.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***