• You are not logged in.

English (UK) Layout

• Started by TomH
    • 5 Replies:

I've just started using Colemak but am getting a bit frustrated by its not having a pounds symbol. Is there an easy way to change this? I have a feeling it's probably not too difficult in the portable keyboard layout program, but that's not an ideal solution.

To the contrary, PKL is indeed a near-perfect solution in my experience.

However, you do realize that the standard Colemak download has a pound symbol on AltGr+$ (that is, AltGr+Shift+4)?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks. The AltGr thing is OK, but there are times when I use the pounds symbol quite a lot and that would just be a bit of a pain (I'm using Colemak to make my fingers do less work after all). I think I will switch to PKL then (it should also make it easier to give me a Caps Lock key somewhere on the keyboard, which would be nice). The main problem I've been having with that is that it's not well doccumented. I've been trying to run the perl utilities to generate .ini and png files for my new layout. I've got the first two to work (klc2ini and ini2html) but am having problems with the screen capture stuff. Any advice on how to get that working?

TomH said:

Thanks. The AltGr thing is OK, but there are times when I use the pounds symbol quite a lot and that would just be a bit of a pain (I'm using Colemak to make my fingers do less work after all).

You can use AutoHotkey to remap just the pound sign, then. You will learn how to use a very neat utility (that's how PKL is implemented). PKL has been reported to be slow, sometimes.

Or you can use Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to customize the Colemak layout for UK. Someone has done it already: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=229

Last edited by spremino (03-Sep-2009 13:02:41)

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Here's one I made from back when I still used UK keyboards: http://danieljacobs.googlepages.com/Colemak-UK.zip
    Unlike the one in the thread linked above, the VK_ codes are correct, so keyboard shortcuts will work properly. (the other one has Dvorak VK_ codes for some reason).
    To be honest though, I've grown to hate UK keyboards — I use the official version now on a US keyborad. It's much nicer.

Yep. Overdone national layouts are evil.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***