• You are not logged in.

I'm now full time on Colemak

• Started by jammycakes
    • 8 Replies:

Just thought you'd all be interested to know: since July I've been using Colemak on my laptop as well as my ergonomic keyboard. I'm happy to report that this time it's proving to be a success.

I've had a few ups and downs with the transition, as many of you will no doubt be aware, but I'm now almost totally qwerty-free. I still use qwerty when I have to remote desktop into servers at work but that's about it. All in all I'm more than satisfied.

Oh, and btw I've taken down that post on my blog about alternative keyboard layouts being a waste of time :)

Welcome back James! Or back-fully or whatever would be most correct. Glad to hear that you're once again happy with Colemak. I always considered you an asset to our community, so I was sad to see you go.  ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Good to have you back James.

How did you get rid of your wrist pains for staggered keyboards? Did you alter your typing technique at all?

Also, I recall you were a 90 (?) wpm qwerty typer. Did you ever attain similar speeds with Colemak?

I'm not entirely sure why I haven't had any problem with Colemak this time round -- I haven't particularly changed my typing technique. Probably it's just that I've got used to it. A flat keyboard still doesn't feel as comfortable as an ergonomic one, but Colemak is better on both of them than qwerty.

I've just tried Ryan Heise's typing test again and scored 84. Given that my score of 90 or so was my record on qwerty (IIRC I usually clocked in at around 80 or so) I think my speed is more or less comparable. The main benefits that I've found though have been comfort, discipline, fluency and accuracy. I'm not making nearly as many typos as I used to on qwerty.

Welcome back-fully James!

It's been interesting to see what someone goes through that's a heavy user on multiple different keyboards.

jammycakes said:

Just thought you'd all be interested to know: since July I've been using Colemak on my laptop as well as my ergonomic keyboard. I'm happy to report that this time it's proving to be a success.

I've had a few ups and downs with the transition, as many of you will no doubt be aware, but I'm now almost totally qwerty-free. I still use qwerty when I have to remote desktop into servers at work but that's about it. All in all I'm more than satisfied.

Oh, and btw I've taken down that post on my blog about alternative keyboard layouts being a waste of time :)

I also do lots of remote desktop at work, but I have simple solution - use PKL on your workstation and run rdp not in full screen (then pkl translates everything fine like for normal window app). to use this but do not scroll each time in rdp window try to set  remote view just about your screen size, take into account window border size, and set "windows key combination" not to "in full screen only" in defalut rdp settings to use Alt+tab etc on remote if you prefer.

for example I have 1600x1200 workstation screen so I use command: mstsc /w:1550 /h:1100 /v:some_remote_svr_name_or_IP

Now connect this way with rdp and without touching the remote system it would be colemak all the time like your workstation :)

Anyway, I got used to rdp not in fullscreen and it is very comfortable. Lots ot the time I remote to 2-3 rdp to do some actual work on one and see some logs etc on onthers. For just screen monitoring small window like 600x400 is good enough and I place it side by side with other windows.

Last edited by bombadil (20-Sep-2009 11:46:17)

Good tips - thanks!

I wish someone would write a Linux 'PKL' soon...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

On Linux (actually X11) there is no problem with remote (Windows) desktop, all applications use your X server's keymap and the remote desktop client doesn't change anything about that.

Seems like linux always does things better :)