• You are not logged in.

Fully switched

• Started by dubzi
    • 2 Replies:

Hi everybody,

Wanted to let you know there's another happy colemak user out there.
    I had been using QWERTY for all my life, and i read about colemak somewhere, and thought it would be fun to try it out.

So, what started as just fun, became my keyboard at home as well as at my school (it's fun when people try to type something when they're helping me out but don't know what's going on)

I never typed blind on my QWERTY the proper way (not using all fingers, i was just using a few), so this was the ideal way to just start over, and learn it properly. I have no idea how fast i typed on my old layout, and i don't know how fast i am right now. Don't even wanna know, it just 'feels' good, and that's what matters to me.

The thing i probably enjoy most is the capslock to backspace mod. Who ever uses capslock anyways? And this is just so much easier when you're making a mistake.

I learned it by replacing all my keys on my laptop so it looks like the colemak layout. Even though that wasn't suggested, it worked for me. I was tired of 'looking' for a key all the time ;) Right now i type without looking at all, so the layout doesn't matter anymore. In the beginning i did a lot of those typing games, and just typing tutors, to learn the basics.

My iPhone also had the colemak layout for a while, and this may sound strange, but i type more effectively on qwerty on my iPhone. Perhaps on the iPhone it's a good thing the keys you use most are far away from each other, so you don't press the wrong letter all the time.

That's about it. I'm using it fulltime now, and love it. Thanks for making an awesome keyboard layout like this!

dubzi said:

I learned it by replacing all my keys on my laptop so it looks like the colemak layout. Even though that wasn't suggested, it worked for me. I was tired of 'looking' for a key all the time ;) Right now i type without looking at all, so the layout doesn't matter anymore. In the beginning i did a lot of those typing games, and just typing tutors, to learn the basics.

I also reordered the keys on my laptop to Colemak.  It's really convenient in situations where you have to look at the keyboard, eg. when typing with one hand while on the phone.

ghen said:

I also reordered the keys on my laptop to Colemak.  It's really convenient in situations where you have to look at the keyboard, eg. when typing with one hand while on the phone.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4534&d=1253015620
    Image courtesy of Rajagra on GeekHack

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***