• You are not logged in.

Capslock as backspace with repeating using ControllerMate

• Started by Korolen
    • 4 Replies:

Hi,

I just wanted to report success using ControllerMate to remap capslock to backspace, as well as a good amount of other changes. Everything works like it should, including holding down to repeat, and you can even disable the normal backspace key to train yourself to the new one. In addition, you can create somewhat complicated macros, such as a simple double tap of the backspace deletes an entire word (alt+backspace).

The process is quite simple. Once installed, simply drag the keyboard into the list of pages on the left and find the row for capslock. On the bottom, you can change it's action to backspace.

I believe the ControllerMate demo contains all this functionality, but if you like it, you might consider buying it.

I might google this but it'd be better if you specify it in this topic I think:

- What is this? A Windows app?
    - Does it have to stay resident, or does it remap-and-leave?
    - A link, please?
    - If it's commercial, what does it cost?

Thanks in advance.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

This is exclusively for Mac, for which the "Download" page recommends DoubleCommand to remap capslock to backspace. That program, unfortunately, does not support holding the button to repeat, and in my experience, is also rather finicky.

ControllerMate is a commercial program that costs $15, but I'm pretty sure everything I mentioned can be done with the demo. It must have a resident process running for it to work, but it is relatively unobtrusive and has worked very consistently for me.

https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

I remapped the Caps Lock as Backspace using DoubleCommand and PCKeyboardHack on Tiger. The new Backspace does repeat and the caps lock light is disabled. I don't have an Apple keyboard, I'm using 2 Kinesis boards (Freestyle and Contoured Advatage). I beilieve it has worked flawlessly.

But I would like to change the original backspace key!

Last edited by Input Nirvana (26-Sep-2009 05:42:10)

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!

Sweet, ControllerMate solved my "no-repeat" problem on Apple External Keyboards... Thanks!

I wanted to add I still use PCKeyboardHack to disable the CapsLock led/light from turning on.

Also I wanted to note that the DoubleCommand/PCKeyboardHack (I'm not sure if you need both...) does turn CapsLock into Backspace, but I had the repeat problem like the OP, and disabling those 2 apps, and running ControllerMate with two mods for internal/external keyboard (from capslock to backspace) does work for me.

Thanks!