• You are not logged in.

Hi

• Started by Just_nyasha
    • 3 Replies:

First post on the forum and i hope some of you can help me.

Right now i am a typer using the qwerty layout.. But i am going to change the day my laptop arrives.

Im 13 years old so i am not planning to use it for work but just for chatting purposes and other things i do. I also write blogs least everyday.
    the reason im planning on change is purely because i want more comfort and i want SPEED yep i wan tmore speed than i currently have. I type around 50wpm right now which is something i don't really like..

I wanna get my speed up to 110 wpm within 6 months, if thats possible.

Which layout is better for me to change to, the dvorak simplified keyboard or the colemak??

Thanks for the help guys.

Welcome!

I can promise you comfort, but the speed question is something nobody can answer. How would you do that research without funding?

I'm faster on Colemak than I was on Dvorak, and on Dvorak I was faster than on QWERTY. But I attribute that to the amount of conscious training I've put in, really. The speed record has been set by a Dvorak typist but they've been along much longer and I think that Colemak's ~ 130 WPM record isn't bad either; but there are QWERTY typists well into the 150 WPMish around. Your question is still, as I said, impossible to answer really.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I am pretty new here myself, but I will say this. Colemak is fun. Typing is a lot more interesting. Certain words are simply pleasurable to type. Everything feels so much more fluid.

Stick with it, though the speeds you want will take constant work on your part. You'll have to analyze your typing and concentrate on your problem areas.

I think speed is really about how much you are willing to train.