• You are not logged in.

What about the Enter key?

• Started by spremino
    • 9 Replies:

For those who use the Enter key a lot, like programmers, having it that far is not comfortable. Among alternative layouts, only Arensito addresses this issue.

How would you suggest addressing it? DreymaR has said he's using an Autohotkey macro to map CapsLock + Space to Enter. Maybe, those with a 104 (European) layout could shift the bottom row under the left hand - as it's suggested for improved comfort - and map the Qwerty's "B" to Enter, to reach it with the index finger.

Programmers could also customize their editor, making it insert a newline after a line ending symbol.

Any other suggestion? Thanks.

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

The most intuitive I can think of is SHIFT + SPACE = BACKSPACE.

BUT, I've always had this gripe that the space key is not two separate keys. What a waste of a great potential shortcut!

shift + left-space = backspace
    shift + right-space = enter

I'm living in a dream world :(

Shift + Space will probably suffer from accidental backspaces.

RevRal said:

BUT, I've always had this gripe that the space key is not two separate keys. What a waste of a great potential shortcut!

Check out Japanese keyboards, they have a lot of keys for thumbs. This is a Topre Realforce 91UDK (without number pad):

2010087_0600.jpg

Last edited by spremino (21-Nov-2009 11:31:07)

I've thought about those boards but decided against actually getting one for reasons of price and compliance. They are cool, and pretty much how I'd have built a board (except for the row stagger of course).

The 'european' keyboards are referred to as 105-key (or 102-key if you don't have the GUI/RGUI/HomeMenu keys) not 104-key. Their real name are ISO boards I think, whereas the 'US' 101/104-key boards are ANSI boards.

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Nov-2009 10:52:34)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

I've thought about those boards but decided against actually getting one for reasons of price and compliance. They are cool, and pretty much how I'd have built a board (except for the row stagger of course).

Indeed importing a keyboard from Japan is expensive. However, since they are long lasting (Cherry switches are rated at 50 millions keystrokes) quality keyboards, you are not going to buy one keyboard a year. Let's suppose you end up paying 150 euros for one - which amounts to 90 euros more than a Cherry keyboard - and use it for (at least) 5 years, you would be paying 5 cents a day to use it. Wouldn't the enhanced experience be worth the extra 5 cents a day?

DreymaR said:

The 'european' keyboards are referred to as 105-key (or 102-key if you don't have the GUI/RGUI/Home keys) not 104-key. Their real name are ISO boards I think, whereas the 'US' 101/104-key boards are ANSI boards.

Yes (but you said Home key instead of Application/Menu).

Last edited by spremino (23-Nov-2009 10:18:46)

spremino said:
    RevRal said:

Check out Japanese keyboards, they have a lot of keys for thumbs. This is a Topre Realforce 91UDK (without number pad):

http://img8.zol.com.cn/bbs/upload/2011/2010087_0600.jpg

Very nice! A friend of mine is in Japan so I'll ask him to pick one up for me.

RevRal said:

The most intuitive I can think of is SHIFT + SPACE = BACKSPACE.

But you won't be able to make all-caps without caps lock. In colemak it is replaced by backspace.

Banned from Colemak

I suggest placing enter in the semicolon. Less of distance. Even better for CarpalX layouts which have separate layouts for moving/not moving semicolon so that enter or letter can be in homerow.

Banned from Colemak

Definitely a suggestion! But a somewhat radical one. I try to keep special/modifier keys in their roles for the most part, as otherwise there's bound to be more implementation troubles – especially across platforms.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***