• You are not logged in.

Can't get Colemak to work in TypeFaster

• Started by mesonofgib
    • 7 Replies:

Just like to start by saying kudos for the new typing layout, I've felt there's something seriously wrong with QWERTY ever since I was a kid. I tried learning Dvorák and thought it was great for touch typing but rubbish at everything else - the keys needed for programming were all in the wrong place, it was hard to learn and the keyboard shortcuts I use about 2,500 times a day could no longer be performed with one hand! So I was really excited when I found a link to this on Wikipedia.

I've installed the keyboard layout in Windows Xp and so far no problems, but I can't get it to work in TypeFaster (I used TypeFaster to learn Dvorák and it's quite a good program). In the TypeFaster guide on your website it says "Start TypeFaster, click on the Edit settings button, then on the Change layouts enabled. And check the Colemak layout", but on my version of TypeFaster "Colemak" isn't there, and I can't find a link to download a TypeFaster keyboard layout anywhere on your site.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

- Richard -

• Shai
    • Administrator

You can download the lessons from where it says "Download Now" in the Colemak TypeFaster page.

Ahh I see, thanks!

In this post--prior to my editing it--I had written:

"TypeFaster no longer has the Colemak layout available."

In fact, the lessons are still available. I did not know how to extract/unzip the files properly which resulted in the TypeFaster program indicating: "The layout is no longer available." This caused me to incorrectly conclude TF no longer supported the Colemak layout.

A suggestion, therefore, for those of us less tech savvy than others, is to add a note to the list of TypeFaster installation instructions indicating that if this appears: "The layout is no longer available," the file was not unzipped [correctly].

This would have saved me from posting my original comment and question and then having to exchange emails with Shai for an answer and from editing this again. ;)

Last edited by Reality (18-Jan-2007 22:16:35)

Hi!  Sorry guys if this is really clueless...
    But on this page, https://colemak.com/TypeFaster 
    Step 2 says "download and unzip the TypeFaster lessons archive" but, where is the TypeFaster lessons archive? 
    I went to the TypeFaster page at Sourceforge and it only has an exe to run, which I ran, and Colemak doesn't seem to be there. 
    Any help? 

FWIW, I'm a 105 wpm Qwerty typist who's been trying to learn Dvorak for the past week... it is definitely better, so much more relaxing on hands, but frustrating to be 20 wpm again!  And I don't seem to be making much progress, the muscle memory is extremely strong.  And the right little pinky hurts.  And my fav shortcuts are gone.  Saw Colemak and it was LOVE... I really want to learn this!

Oooh, never mind, I got it...
    I was clicking the website for TypeFaster instead of the "Download Now" link... how dumb is that  :-) 
    Got it working now  :-)

good luck.   It's not magic.  You are going to encounter some frustration no matter what, you are too fast in qwerty not to.   Give it a least a month, read some of the experiences to see what others with like backgrounds have done.

I just started Colemak too.  I play banjo which is nothing more than picking the right string in the right pattern faster than you can think about.  But I have no problem using a dozen different picking patterns without even thinking about them.  I expect the same to be true in learning Colemak even though I have used Qwerty for 30 years.  Just clairify in your mind--this is Colemak, and that is Qwerty.