• You are not logged in.

How did you hear about Colemak?

• Started by learncolemak
    • 13 Replies:

Hey, I'd like to get a better feel for the community and I was curious, how did you hear about Colemak and what was your main reason for switching?  Did you switch from Qwerty or Dvorak?

Personally I posted on Twitter that I was learning Dvorak and a friend replied that I should learn Colemak instead.  Later when my pinkie hurt from typing L on Dvorak, I agreed with him. :)  I changed mostly because I think it's sick that we all type on qwerty by default, since it was designed to avoid typewriter jams.  Also, I was getting some pains in my hands and I figured typing in Colemak could reduce the pain and hopefully will give me an increase in speed eventually.

Learn Colemak, no download necessary: www.learncolemak.com

Originally I tried out Dvorak together with a friend for fun. We both felt how advantageous it was, but he never really got the hang of it in the same way as I did. I tried it back and fourth a while. Sometimes forgetting about it, then picking it up again a month later or so. I never reached any real speed this period.

Then, some day I went into the IRC channel #dvorak to ask some questions, where ethana2 queried me with some info about Colemak. I visited #colemak and I felt Colemak would be even better. So, same procedure, forgetting about it, picking it up a month later. Rinse and repeat. Until, I forgot about it for almost a year.

And then, when I was on some kind of private mini LAN party, I was suddenly hit by a, « Hell, I need to convert to Colemak », just like the several other times before. So, I had about five or four days before the winter break was going to end and I went cold turkey. And I stuck with that. So here I am, almost  three months later now.

Heh, I can't remember all the details anymore. I was on a Dvorak mailing list and starting to notice some deficiencies in (Norwegian) Dvorak. I don't think anyone told me about Colemak - I just searched around and found it, together with some other layouts. Spent a while shopping around and thinking, and then argueing with Shai about whether everything really was perfect. I ended up accepting all of his arguments and ever since I've been a happy Colemak user.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I switched from windows to ubuntu a while ago, and after a while I realized that I had no typing programs installed, so while looking for one I came across a program named Klavaro, which advertised colemak on it's home page, so I read about it and less then a week later I had made the switch :)

I began using Colemak officially November 17, 2008 and now never use Qwerty unless I'm playing one of those MMOs.

I learned about Dvorak about a year before learning Colemak, and I tried it when I first heard about it, but it was so difficult. So I figured I would delay until a time I felt that I was ready. In November, I just decided, heck, I'll learn Dvorak my fingers will thank me. Then I got on keybr.com to practice on that first day, and I noticed another option. It was Colemak. It was similar to Qwerty, yet it seemed to have the keys in the right places. After a quick Google search, and about 20 minutes later, I was set. Colemak was for me.

Colemak typist

Thanks for all the responses... was really interesting!

Learn Colemak, no download necessary: www.learncolemak.com

I started out with Colemak in February 2008, but I don't really remember anymore how I found out about it.  I switched from Qwerty four-finger hunt 'n pecking (but at 80+ wpm) to Colemak touch-typing (along the same speed after a year or so).

I had first seen Asetion, Colemak's predecessor, over 5 years ago though.  I didn't switch, but I have used the recommendation to remap Caps Lock to Backspace since then.  It was an additional Colemak selling point for me seeing that it did the same thing, not knowing initially that it was created by the same man. :-)

I found Colemak while I was looking at the available keyboard layouts installed on my pc, and I got curious, so I decided to look up some information and came on this site :).
    Have been using it for 2 weeks now and type around 30wpm (used to type around 80-90 on qwerty).

Last edited by Meeps (08-Sep-2010 15:37:16)

So getting Colemak included with OS distributions and typing tutors really helps attracting new users.

Probably heard of Dvorak in some blog, then as a consequence of my obsessive personality, started to look into other alternatives, and settled at Colemak after spending some weeks comparing them. :P

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
    ~ Albert Einstein

I started investigating alternative keyboard layout when I realized some people don't actually look at the keys before typing. I was hunting-and-pecking at the time, since like 10 years and couldn't really type a word without reaching for the backspace key. That and the fact that programming was a bit painful using QWERTY. (Thank god Quebec kept QWERTY instead of that monstrosity known as AZERTY. Typing AZERTY should be a criminal offence)
    So really for me what started it all was a desire to learn typing anew, though this time "blind". It was clear my old QWERTY habits would have been *impossible* to break, hence switching layouts.

The first thing I tried was Dvorak. After reading about how dvorak thrashes your pinkies, I found out about Colemak, probably either from Googling or Slashdot and decided one day at work to switch cold-turkey. I started out trying each and every key until I found the one I wanted (no printed layout or guides, nada) and eventually reached the stage where typing happened. Here I am now, more than a year later, long having surpassed everything I could even dream of typing-wise.

Anyways, what I love so much about Colemak nowadays is its multilingual features. You can literally type any ABC language using this layout: äåãøßœöó»« etc.

I find out about Colemak after some googling about ergonomics. First I found Dvorak, tried it for 2 days, then switched over to Colemak

A co-worker told me that QWERTY was only the result of 100 years of inertia, and I was shocked. I started looking about optimized layouts, and first found about Dvorak but also Colemak. It seemed the best option.

It´s been two years and I´ve never looked back.

I honestly cannot remember. But you know what - I am so glad I did hahah :P