• You are not logged in.

Shai: Could you include this new typing tutor for Colemak?

• Started by Jag02
    • 7 Replies:

Shai:  Could you include this new typing tutor for Colemak on the 'Learn' page?

Here is the website: https://www.sense-lang.org/typing/tutor … EN_colemak

Last edited by Jag02 (04-May-2010 07:06:54)

I don't really like this tutor. It doesn't take advantage of the fact that Colemak makes words on the homerow. One of the things about learning with Typemaster was that I was typing words from the very first lesson, no matter how simple they were, so it was at least a bit interesting and I was starting to get some finger rolls in. This just replaces QWERTY writing with Colemak and is just letters in an unnatural order for the first few lessons. This should be taken advantage to quicken learning and make it interesting.

It is of course an additional tutor, but there are better alternatives to this one. Each to his own.

Colemak typist

• Shai
    • Administrator

I've added it.

I agree.  I already hate it.  and in the advanced sections,  I can glimpse that the rate is getting in to the 70's and 80's but there is no history to look at the end, so you are forced to take quick looks which of course increases the likelihood of errors.   Also the sound effect is extremely annoying and like most flash it's a little sluggish so you can outrun it sometimes causing what it thinks are errors.   The whole thing just forces the idea of stop and go typing  every time you make an error.

Why don't you people contact them, and let them know.

Here is the contact address: https://www.sense-lang.org/contact.php

Last edited by Jag02 (05-May-2010 06:28:13)

I think, that maybe if they use Java, that would be much better and would ideal for fast typists.
    I personally think, that this could be a very good program, if improvements are made as you forum members have suggested.  It is unique, in that a diagram of hands popup if you make a mistake, telling you what the correct finger should be.

Also, if the program automatically converted the layout to Colemak from QWERTY, that would be great.

In case you guys from sense-lang are looking at this here is a link that you might be interested in;

https://colemak.com/Typing_lessons

Last edited by Jag02 (05-May-2010 06:59:11)

Typing trainers that don't use real words should always base their lessons on key position instead of letters: That way, they'd be completely layout independent and it wouldn't matter one bit whether you're using the Klausler or Arensito or...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Could you please also include my app? I have already introduced it in this post