• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • How to change Caps Lock to Backspace ONLY on the Colemak layout.

How to change Caps Lock to Backspace ONLY on the Colemak layout.

• Started by Garneac
    • 8 Replies:

Hey everyone,

I've been reinstalling programs and stuff after my laptop was reformatted, and have now gotten around to adding Colemak.  Still relatively new to this alternate layout, but I'm gonna stick to it. 

That said, this version of the layout doesn't have the "Caps Lock = Backspace" change, which I thought was great.  Is there a way to change Caps Lock to Backspace, but only for the Colemak layout rather than all, as the Registry Remapping page's instructions suggest will happen?

Best,

Garneac

Off the top of my head, the only way I can think to do that is to use software instead of a registry remapping.  Something like AutoHotKey (or its sibling PKL) should do the trick nicely if you are running Windows.

If you do go down this route, I would recommend just running the entire Colemak layout via AutoHotKey/PKL (instead of using a system keyboard layout) so that you can switch between Colemak and Qwerty in one step. There should be plenty Colemak implementations floating around if you don't want to pull on your 1337 haxxor gloves and create the script yourself.

Last edited by tomlu (01-Nov-2010 11:33:06)

Hey Tomlu, thanks for replying.

Don't mean to brush aside your advice or anything, but I downloaded the kmapper bundle on the Registry Remapper page, and used it to remap the Caps Lock to Backspace, and was asked to restart the laptop for the change to come into effect.  Think that'll work?  (Well, I'm going to restart right now, so I'll know in a bit, right?) 

As for switching between layouts: I thought the Ctrl + Shift combination worked pretty well.  Still, been reading a lot of good things about AutoHotKey.  Will try out if Kmapper fails.

P.S.  I wish I had 1337 haxxor gloves.  The relationship between me and my laptop would be a lot easier.  But that's why we have reformatting.

From cursory examination it looks like Kmapper remaps using the registry, which I believe will not let you toggle backspace between different layouts. Let us know if your findings say otherwise.

Yeah, you're right.  Nearly crapped myself when after the reboot, my English (US) layout was now Colemak, and what should've been my Colemak layout began its homerow with a, p...  Fixed it though.

So, um, do you want to maybe explain how this AutoHotKey/PKL works? >_<" Links are good, too. 

Or...  is there a download link to an earlier version of Colemak with the Caps Lock/Backspace switch?

Last edited by Garneac (30-Oct-2010 04:29:57)

http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe

I think that one should work nicely, providing it is the one I think of. (PKL.) I can't test it right now, as I don't have a Windows machine running.

Oh HELLZ YES.

Much thanks kqr.  Works great.  But then I got curious and tried out PKL as tomlu had suggested, and that was even better! 

(Lesson learned: advice given by professionals usually tends to be right.)

So, thanks a lot, tomlu! 

Now, how'd I go about changing the suspend function?  As it's currently set up, it's Left Alt +Right Alt.  Is there a way to change it to something like Ctrl + Shift?  If there isn't, no biggie, because I have what I needed: a Colemak layout with the original Caps Lock  = Backspace, AND thanks to PKL, Colemak is applied "universally," if that makes any sense--and I can switch between layouts!

Once again, thanks you guys (or gals) for your help.

EDIT: Got the Suspend function to work as Ctrl + LAlt.  Is there a way to get the suspend to work for the RAlt as well?  And why is it that trying Ctrl + Shift (^+) didn't work?

Last edited by Garneac (31-Oct-2010 08:12:36)

Here's my hotkeys - I really recommend them, as they don't get in the way of anything but are still easily hit with one hand:

; Toggle the help images on/off
    ; https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm#Symbols
    displayHelpImageHotkey = ^+1

; With this hotkey you can switch between layouts
    ;changeLayoutHotkey = LAlt & LShift
    changeLayoutHotkey = ^+2

; The original mode for non-ASCII characters may not work with 
    ; all programs (for example GTK applications, like Klavaro or Pidgin)
    ; so you can try alternative modes with this hotkey.
    ; If you have found the best mode, you can write it into the 
    ; nonASCII.ini; and please send it to me as well!
    changeNonASCIIMode = ^+3

; Exit from the application
    exitAppHotkey = ^+4

; Suspend (disable/enable) the application.
    ;suspendHotkey = LAlt & RAlt,RAlt & LAlt
    ;suspendHotkey = LCtrl & RCtrl,RCtrl & LCtrl
    ;suspendHotkey = LCtrl & SC029
    suspendHotkey = ^+SC029

The SC029 is the key to the left of the number 1 key. Commented out are a few options I tried before; should give you a hint on how to work the magic. Oh - you can't refer to a key using the shorthand notation (such as '+' for Shift); that only refers to the modifier state and not the key itself. So +RCtrl should be Shift(any) and RCtrl. However, not entirely sure that works when assigning hotkeys where the '&' notation with the key names usually works better.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hey DreymaR, thanks for the code/tips!  Only needed to change the following three areas:

; Toggle on/off the help image
    displayHelpImageHotkey = ^+1

; Exit from the application.
    exitAppHotkey = ^SC029

; Suspend (disable/enable) the application.
    suspendHotkey = ^LAlt,^RAlt,RCtrl & Shift

Tweaking complete.  Now I just need to download a typing program and then I can really get started on learning how to touch type. 

Once again, thanks for the help you guys.  Much appreciated.

• Index
      • Technical
      • How to change Caps Lock to Backspace ONLY on the Colemak layout.