• You are not logged in.

Hit a wall at 60 wpm...suggestions?

• Started by gauchopuro
    • 7 Replies:

I've been using Qwerty for almost 20 years, apart from some brief attempts at learning Dvorak and Colemak. My speed was about 75 wpm. In October 2010, I decided to switch to Colemak.

It took about a week to get to 30 wpm in Colemak; until then, I kept using Qwerty at work (software development) because I just couldn't get anything done with Colemak. 30 wpm was the magic number for me where I could justify a full switch, and I've avoided Qwerty since then to focus exclusively on Colemak.

It took about 30 more days to go from 30 wpm to 60 wpm in early November. Since then, I've flatlined at 60 wpm and haven't made any further progress.

I've used KTouch and random online typing games for practice, but since I work at a computer all day that constitutes the majority of my practice time. I'd like to get back to my prior 75 wpm speed. My goal from the beginning was to match this speed in Colemak, and then aim for 100 wpm.

I've seen a lot of techniques and suggestions for improving in the 0-50 wpm range. Does anyone have suggestions for the 60+ wpm range?

Thanks,
    Spencer

Right now I can probably type at about 110wpm on a good day, but usually around 95 is where I stand. I remember that I hit a wall at 60wpm and honestly all that you can do is continue typing and have patience. Work on your accuracy and the speed will come. Most of the speed tends to come as you realize all the finger rolls that you can do on Colemak, and get around the awkwardness of a few trigraphs like you, ion and ein, and stuff like that. Always divide things up by an inward roll and another letter when they are awkward like that in your head and you will have an easier time typing them.

Accuracy and rolls my friend, and best of luck. Colemak is really comfortable and at this point I just type and find that every few months I might 1-2 wpm sometimes. Nothing big, but you get stuck speedwise sometimes. Just relax and type as best as you can. The speed will come.

Colemak typist

The 60 WPM wall seems quite common. I think it's where you know the layout per se and further improvement comes from better typing technique and layout specific tricks such as alternative fingering.

A major source of further improvement is usually accuracy, flow and experience with multigraphs. What I mean is, by typing a lot now you'll build up familiarity with common words and word elements which will help your progress. But it takes a while and a lot of key presses to get there, and you may feel that you've plateaued out.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

There is a max speed of touch typing for each people. I think within 6 months of good training, if your speed stays the same, then you come to your breaking point.

For me, I got 60wpm on Qwerty, so I expect 70wpm or 80wpm is my max speed in Colemak ( right now my speed is 34wpm after 16 days)

I too moved to 60wpm fairly rapidly, followed by small gains over the last couple of years. I have eventually plateaued at around 90wpm. Don't sweat it, just keep using Colemak and you will continue to progress for a while longer.

So, no magic solution...not surprised. :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think working on accuracy will be the most important thing right now; I still make a lot of "qwerty substitution" mistakes, and correcting those slows me down. I'll focus more on that and see where it gets me.

I try Amphetype (programmed by tristesse member of this forum) and it has an option that automatically detect your weaker words from your typing and let you practise them. I think that will help you to improve, not speed-wise but accuracy-wise. The speed just gradually increase with time and practice, you don't have to push it.

Here the Amphetype project homepage:
    https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/

Download Amphetype (Windows, OSX):
    https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/downloads/list

ss6.png
    screenshot2.png
    ss7.png
    ss8.png

Backstory of the author tristesse
    =====================

About 4 months ago I attempted the difficult switch from Qwerty to what is commonly referred to as the Dvorak layout. I didn't know touch typing, so I had to learn that at the same time. It was hell on Earth. It probably took me a full week just to be able to snail away at 20 WPM and after a full month I was still only at 40 WPM. Dvorak is impossibly hard to learn.

That's when I discovered Colemak, a layout that promised to be even more efficient that the Dvorak and much easier to learn. I was intrigued and found that it fixed most of the issues I had with Dvorak, which only added to my frustration over not having discovered it sooner after having put so much effort into learning Dvorak. But finally I made the decision to switch again. Since this time I decided I was going to do it right I even went ahead and made my own keyboard layout based on a mix between the Colemak and the Norwegian Qwerty, but moving a lot of the common punctuation to the home and upper rows using the AltGr key.

After a week I was already as fast as my best speeds with Dvorak, and after a month I was at a more comfortable 65 WPM. Today I am at around 75-80 WPM, which is almost as fast as I once was on the Qwerty (80-85 WPM).

Now, in my long quest for learning a new layout, I have grown fond of programs and sites that help you measure and improve your typing. However, there is a lot of things lacking from most that I'd like to see. The two main things are:

* Texts that make sense: I am a big fan of Typeracer where you type actual quotes from popular culture (books, movies, songs). This gives you some shallow entertainment as opposed to just typing nonsense language-agnostic syllables which I find very dull and unrewarding. I also played some with TyperA which gives you random sentences, but they are cut off at awkward points (can't separate "." in abbreviations from proper end-of-sentence punctuation) and sometimes they're part of a joke that you don't get to see the follow-up to -- very annoying! A better version in this respect is Hi Games' Typing Test which at least give you random fragments instead of just half-sentences.

* Automatic lessons based on problem words (not just keys): TypingMaster Pro Satellite is an ingenious (albeit commercial and Windows-only) program which monitors everything you type and tells you which words and keys you have problems with (probably inferred from speed and backspace usage). So far I haven't found any alternative to it, nor even a free program which tells you what words you have problems with.

So basically when I wrote the first version of Amphetype on a long and boring ride on the night train these two items is what I had in mind: the ability to type texts from favorite novels, moves, web sites, whatever, and detailed statistics about problematic words and keys which can be used to generate new lessons. And that's what I've done.

From feedback from friends I've also added the ability to type whole books fragment by fragment so you can read them while practicing typing.

Last edited by Tony_VN (31-Dec-2010 03:57:44)

I don't believe that you reach your max speed possible in 6 months of training, just like that. Maybe some do, but I doubt even that. What I do believe is that around that time and/or speed (for many, around 60 WPM) you'll plateau off and may not improve more without paying attention to your training. There's still lots of room for improvement (as I have experienced, at least!) but just typing along without focusing on your weaknesses and training a bit probably won't lead to a lot of improvement anymore by then.

That's my two coppers.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***