• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Layout "US-English" added after running full-screen apps (Steam etc)

Layout "US-English" added after running full-screen apps (Steam etc)

• Started by ezuk
    • 5 Replies:

Hi everyone,

I tried tracking this issue down on Steam-related forums, but no joy. It also happens when running XBMC, so I searched their forums too, but nothing.

Basically, I use a dual-layout system (English Colemak/Hebrew). After I run a full-screen app, suddenly the English keyboard gets an extra layout, US English. So I have both Colemak and US-English on the English side, and Hebrew on the Hebrew side. Then when I write English, it switches to US-English (QWERTY) every now and then, driving me crazy.

The only solution I found is log out and log back in, at which point the extra keyboard disappears and I find myself Colemak-only again. I am using Win7 x64.

Has anyone had this before? What's the solution?

Thanks!

Last edited by ezuk (27-Dec-2010 09:22:46)
    • Shai
    • Administrator

Full screen application might ignore the active keyboard layout, and instead read the raw keyboard keys, and the keyboard layout is hard-coded into the program. As far as I know, the only way around that is to use the registry remapping solution.

Thanks for replying Shai!

I've read about the Registry Remapping Solution; per the Wiki, I should only use it if I have a single layout installed, but I use two layouts: Colemak along with a custom Hebrew layout (with Colemak layout when I hit Shift).

Will the registry remapping solution wipe my Hebrew keyboard?

Thank you.

• Shai
    • Administrator

It won't wipe it, but it will mess it up, as keys won't be where you expect them to be. You'll need to redo the Hebrew layout to accommodate the new key codes.

Oy vey... Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick with my current layout and just reboot after gaming. It's a bad solution but it's better than re-working my entire layout again.

Cheers,
    -e

One thing I've found is that some Win apps run with Administrator privileges, so if you use a Colemak app to remap your keys at user level the next app you use with admin privs will revert to Qwerty (or Dvorak if that's your base which the remapping is done from).

Might not apply here but I expect it will bite you at some point. I just "Run as Admin" the Colemak.exe if I encounter ASDF while working and it resolves every time.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Layout "US-English" added after running full-screen apps (Steam etc)