• You are not logged in.

The Best Ergonomic Keyboard

• Started by SpeedMorph
    • 4 Replies:

What is the best ergonomic keyboard that money can buy? A lot of people here seem to like the Kinesis Advantage Pro (http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage_pro.htm) or Maltron (cannot find good link) and they look excellent to me, but I've never used anything but a regular keyboard and one of those basic curvy ergonomic keyboards (like this one http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouse … x?pid=043).

Which ergonomic keyboard do you think is the best?

(IIRC this hasn't been discussed here before but my apologies if it has.)

It has been discussed before, and is very much down to personal style. I think the three things it most comes down to for me is:

* Grid (uniform or staggered). The normal staggered grid makes little sense for the left hand. This is a big decision, since you won't be able to easily type on a normal keyboard if you go with straight grid.
    * Extra keys. The Kinesis has lots of thumb keys which is fantastic. The TypeMatrix uses the space in the middle of the keyboard which is almost as good.
    * Key quality. I daresay most people here would agree that mechanical is the way to go if you can.

I like the Kinesis Advantage and the TypeMatrix, but they're not perfect. I've ordered a Truly Ergonomic keyboard and have promised a mini-review once it is delivered.

For conventional, staggered keyboards, most would recommend keyboards like the Unicomp, Das Keyboard or an old IBM.

My way is to get a good mechanical keyboard with the conventional layout. Then I fix the first points tomlu points out:
    - I use a AngleWideErgo mod that I feel solve the grid stagger issues for the left hand as well as the unfortunate distance to the right edge of the keyboard for the right hand.
    - On Windows at least, I use the PKL Extend mode to get all the extra keys I can think of and then some. Looking into similar solutions for other OS.

Fortunately, it's easy to move the key caps of IBM and Unicomp boards around.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Looking for an ergonomic keyboard.. i know this post is quite old, but is there someting new someone can recommend?

Check out the Hardware channel of the Colemak Discord server! There's a lively community of hardware enthusiasts. Be prepared to be tempted to spend money though. ;-)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***