• You are not logged in.

Norwegian and 18 months a Colemakist

• Started by Jovlang
    • 6 Replies:

I started using Colemak 18 months ago. My old QWERTY speed was 90 WPM. It took me 3 months to reach 80 WPM on colemak, and another 6 to exceed 90. My speed is now 90-95 WPM.
    I'll make a pros and cons list of the switch, compared to Norwegian QWERTY, hopefully useful to prospective users. Weigh them for yourself.

Pros:
    - Somewhat more comfortable and less awkward typing
    - Somewhat faster
    - Consistent across all platforms
    - US symbol layout makes []{}~^ easy to type

Cons:
    - Takes a long time to learn, don't expect to ever make up for the lost productivity
    - æøå require Alt Gr -- somewhat slow and awkward, though I still type as fast as I did on QWERTY
    - Expect some trouble typing on Norwegian QWERTY. I recommend looking at the keyboard when typing on that, to prevent mentally mixing up the layouts. For a while I typed really slow on NQ, but then I spent a few days relearning it, and now I can type fast on both.

Note: If you're having pain issues, switching to a light tactile keyboard will probably help more than switching layout.

For Linux, I have a Norwegian Colemak that keeps Norwegian punctuation (with its ugly brackets and all), should anyone want that. And one that puts æøå on the LSGT and bracket keys so you don't have to use AltGr. Let me know if you need that! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I want the same layout on all platforms. I primarily use Windows nowadays. So I'm not switching to a Norwegian Colemak until it's available for all major platforms, if that ever happens.

Well, duh. Obviously this is not a Linux layout per se! Availability for Windows is as simple as making a definition file for MS-KLC (Keyboard Layout Creator) and/or PKL (Portable Keyboard Layout) and yeah - any number of people including myself could do that.

Therefore, the question was whether you'd be interested. Then, if you need help you could ask for it for instance.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I am mildly interested, but not willing to write my own layout definition files.

Last edited by Jovlang (26-Feb-2012 21:34:01)

i swapped the default US colemak by adding øåæ where the norwegian qwerty layout is påæ respectively.

works magic. i've got the PKL layout if u want for windows.

now the stranger characters are not where they are supposed to be i guess, but over 5 years of colemak, i can't say i've ever needed them. :)

Can you post that layout file?

Last edited by Jovlang (17-May-2012 22:41:04)