• You are not logged in.

Introducing...CHORDMAK!

• Started by asetniop
  • 29 Replies:

Hello there, Colemak users.  A few months ago I posted a proposed layout for a chorded version of Colemak.  It's a modification of a keyboard replacement method I've developed called ASETNIOP that reduces the keyboard down to ten input points.  What's the point of having only ten input points?  So that you'll be able to touch-type on gesture-recognition systems like the LEAP (and others) that will start becoming available in the near future.  I'm happy to announce that I've finalized the layout and I've decided to call it CHORDMAK - I hope you like it!

I'm reaching out to the Colemak community because I feel like Colemak users will have a head start in learning something like this for a few reasons:

1.  You folks are more receptive to learning something new: let's face it, if you took the time to learn Colemak, you've obviously got an open mind about trying new things.

2.  Colemak users already know how to touch-type.  I'm assuming that it's virtually impossible to use Colemak without having learned to touch-type. The whole point of CHORDMAK is to make touch-typing possible for 3-D systems.

3.  CHORDMAK is actually a little easier to learn than ASETNIOP (and a similar layout I'm working on for Dvorak), because the home/primary keys are exactly the same as they are for Colemak.

The big question I've encountered when trying to introduce people to this concept is: why should I bother learning a chorded method?  The answer is simple - with gesture recognition systems, there is simply no other way to touch-type.  You could adapt something like 8pen, which is clever but slow.  Or you could try something like Fleksy or Blindtype, which are too reliant on disambiguation.  With CHORDMAK you can actually be definitive without forcing the program to rely on a dictionary, which means you'll be able to use it for situations that require more flexibility (passwords, writing code, etc.)

Anyhow, I've developed a tutorial for you for both keyboards and iPads, you can find them here:

Keyboard Version (if you've got Colemak installed): http://asetniop.com/keyboardTutorialCol.html

Keyboard Version (if you're still running QWERTY): http://asetniop.com/keyboardTutorialColQ.html

iPad Version: http://asetniop.com/ipadTutorialCol.html

I'm looking for a few things:

1.  Feedback! Any comments/discussion on the tutorial or the method in general are welcome (just post your thoughts down below) and I'd appreciate knowing about any bugs that you encounter - just describe the problem and the slide number (you'll see it in the lower right hand corner).

2.  Suggestions! Currently I've got a "numbers symbols" layout, but I'd like to start developing a layout that's optimized for coding; I'd love to hear thoughts on what syntax would be important to include, both in terms of symbols (brackets, etc.) and larger macros. 

3.  Games!  I know some folks here have developed games and tutorials associated with Colemak; I'd love to make some of these available for people learning CHORDMAK (and ASETNIOP too).  Please contact me directly if you might be interested in working together to adapt what you've designed.

4.  Support!  I'm trying to get my hands on one of the advance units of the LEAP motion device so I can make ASETNIOP and CHORDMAK available right away.  If you're interested in this method and think it's got a future with LEAP's devices, please let them know! (info@leapmotion.com)

5.  Help!  If I do have luck getting hold of an advance LEAP unit, I'd love to have help developing the software package for it.  If you've got experience and might be interested, please contact me (zack@asetniop.com)

6.  Partners!  I've filed for a patent in the U.S. for some of the features that make up the autocorrect allow for stenographic combinations.  I'd love to file elsewhere; if you'd be seriously interested in collaborating on a filing in your own country, get in touch with me and we'll talk.

7.  Performers!  I can max out at a practical speed of about 70 wpm using ASETNIOP; I'd love to be able to show someone demonstrating a similar speed using CHORDMAK.  If you get the hang of it and want to show how fast you can go, let me know - I'm putting together a page with an embedded stopwatch you can use to make a little video.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by asetniop (11-Nov-2012 16:33:20)

Great to see your idea again. I gave the tutorial a shot and there's something strange. I'm using Chrome and Colemak layout (installed on Windows). I can't make any of the chords with the Colemak layout. I have to switch to Qwerty to be able to follow the instructions and type. Is that intentional?

I'm willing to give it a shot and see how I like it whenever I've got some free time.

There's something I didn't understand, and maybe it's because I only got through the first few steps, but why are you showing different letters on the on-screen keyboard than the one that are typed out when I'm hitting the keys?

Something I've noticed – it's quite hard to be careful about the lifting time of each key at the same time as the pressing time. Typing on a normal keyboard builds the habit of caring only about the pressing timing, so when I need to type something like AT on Chordmak, I end up with the Chord for A and T instead of AT. It, of course, is a matter of training to get used to but is something that slows down the typing compared to the conventional keyboards and requires a very good rhythm, but that's obviously normal, considering the whole idea of Chordmak.

I've gotta say the feeling of typing a few words is like switching to Colemak, when most of the time you don't need to move your fingers from the home row. Now you actually don't move the fingers at all which feels pretty awesome.

Just my first impressions. I wish you good luck. It seems like a great concept which I could see getting popularity.

Edit
Right, I shouldn't talk much before completing the tutorial. I saw what tweaks you've implemented and really like it. It's very easy to learn, I can now type the whole alphabet after just a few minutes and remembered most of the letters. There are a few bugs on the tutorial though:

1. When I want to type THE with holding the three keys it works. But if I want the first letter to be capital I can't use the three keys method. I have to hit "shift" and type the three letters one after another, otherwise I just get Th

2. You say that sometimes it depends which keys you press first when doing these combos, like in when/new. For me it doesn't matter in what order I press them. It sometimes gives me new, sometimes when.

3. I don't know if that's intentional but if it is it's a bit annoying – I can't use backspace most of the time. So when I make a mistake I can't correct it.

Otherwise – What a great job you've done. I'm impressed. And it's so easy to learn. Hell if I do a couple of hours of training, I think I would be typing fluently without thinking.

Last edited by pafkata90 (31-Oct-2012 01:23:02)

No...I wonder if Colemak reassigns the input codes as interpreted by browsers.  I've whipped up a little test for this; when you've got time please go here and type in the following letters (using your standard setup): A R S T N E I O and let me know the numeric codes that come out.  Thanks!

http://asetniop.com/ColemakDebug.html

Ah, yes, I apologize, I forgot to update the initial parameters for the letters from the ASETNIOP version - it should be fixed now and you should see the Colemak home keys of ARST and NEIO throughout.

With regards to the dreaded step-on error, I've got a fix for that programmed and I swear it was working just fine last night - I don't know why it's not working now!  It simply decouples things (so if you type the word "qd" when you were intending to type "and" it can recognize and correct the mistake).  I'll try to figure out why it's not working right now and post here once I do.  In a more general sense, what I've found is that with the touchscreen version, the step-on error is much less of a problem (it's a much more discrete touch-and-release, whereas most keyboards have a spring action that makes overlaps more common) so I'm anticipating that the same will be true for gesture-based systems.

I did as you said. Went to asetniop.com/ColemakDebug.html and typed (using Colemak) A R S T N E I O and it typed out:
65 a 82 t 83 r 84 78 69 S 73 e 79 i

I hope that helps

Last edited by pafkata90 (31-Oct-2012 01:28:43)

Got it!  Yes, for users who have Colemak installed as part of the operating system, it sends different codes, so I updated the software accordingly.  The original link should work fine for those users.  Thank you pafkata90!

For users whose keyboards are still sending the original QWERTY codes, there's a separate version: http://asetniop.com/keyboardTutorialColQ.html   

If one of them doesn't work for you, try the other.  If neither works, please let me know - thanks!!! :)

I sorted out the autocorrect issue - there was a comma missing in one of my arrays.  That is NOT a fun error to try to track down!  I hope that was the only one.

pafkata90 said:

1. When I want to type THE with holding the three keys it works. But if I want the first letter to be capital I can't use the three keys method. I have to hit "shift" and type the three letters one after another, otherwise I just get Th

2. You say that sometimes it depends which keys you press first when doing these combos, like in when/new. For me it doesn't matter in what order I press them. It sometimes gives me new, sometimes when.

3. I don't know if that's intentional but if it is it's a bit annoying – I can't use backspace most of the time. So when I make a mistake I can't correct it.

Thanks - I'll give these a look - I'm worried the most about the backspace one.

1. Got it - I just needed to update the array for the capitalized version.  Nice catch.  A more sophisticated (i.e. future) version will actually have either one available; if you press the combo you'll initially get a "TH" which will change to a "THE" once you hit the space bar; if you're moving quickly it will happen fast enough that you shouldn't notice it. 

2.  I *might* have fixed that.  This is also a potential hardware issue - some keyboards (the one I'm using included) won't let you press four or more keys or so at a time (the keyboard never sends codes for the subsequent keys).  I wasn't aware that it was potentially an issue with only three keys, but it could be.  If so, unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it on the software end for the time being - but that won't be an issue with 3D systems.

One thing I forgot to mention that might help you – whenever I try the backspace and it doesn't "work", it sometimes shows the left arrow on the typing screen ← but doesn't delete the letter.

And the colemak version works well!

About the second problem I mentioned – yes, I didn't think that could be a hardware limitation. In that case would it be possible to at least be consistent and not randomly choosing which word to produce? Maybe something like a settings menu, where you could adjust these things. Possibly a personal dictionary would be great as well, but that could be hard to implement, don't know.

pafkata90 said:

One thing I forgot to mention that might help you – whenever I try the backspace and it doesn't "work", it sometimes shows the left arrow on the typing screen ← but doesn't delete the letter.

And the colemak version works well!

About the second problem I mentioned – yes, I didn't think that could be a hardware limitation. In that case would it be possible to at least be consistent and not randomly choosing which word to produce? Maybe something like a settings menu, where you could adjust these things. Possibly a personal dictionary would be great as well, but that could be hard to implement, don't know.

Cool, thanks for the details on the backspace - that's helpful to know (it sounds like it's recognizing what you're doing, but crashing out somewhere in the middle while it's processing the command).  I'll play around tonight and see if I can find where it's hanging up.  If anyone notices it happening on a particular slide, please let me know (slide number is in the lower right-hand corner).

The eastern/western version of stenographic codes is, for now, just something that I thought was kind of neat and wanted to share.  I'll probably just add a little note to the tutorial that it might not work for all keyboards.  It's too bad it doesn't - it's one of my favorite things.  Being able to get words like "the" and "good" with just a single action is (I think!) really cool.  You can also add suffixes, like "ing" the same way (though for the keyboard I'm using right now, the same hardware issue comes up).

Coming via google, registering to say this looks great and is fun to learn. A few things…

Regarding the 'other thumb', I'd like to be able to use X, as I hit space with the right hand and X feels better than C.
At some point (after it says we can now type 90%) the instructions confuse left and right.
When shifting and pressing a key, the shift key then appears dark grey as if pressed yet does nothing.

Are you planning to make a version for the leap?

gdaian said:

Coming via google, registering to say this looks great and is fun to learn. A few things…

Regarding the 'other thumb', I'd like to be able to use X, as I hit space with the right hand and X feels better than C.
At some point (after it says we can now type 90%) the instructions confuse left and right.
When shifting and pressing a key, the shift key then appears dark grey as if pressed yet does nothing.

Are you planning to make a version for the leap?

Absolutely planning on making a version for the LEAP - I'd say it's my highest priority right now.  I'm not sure whether they'll send me an advance unit, but they've got an advance software development program that I'm enrolling in so even without an actual unit to play with I'm hoping to have something ready (or as close to ready as possible) as soon as the first units ship.

Thanks for the heads up on the left/right issue; I've got that fixed.

No problem on adding more letters for shift keys - I'll code it up tonight and include all the bottom row letters including Z and X and the comma and period.  I'll see if I can find and solve the SHIFT issue; the background color of the button is supposed to go back to normal when the shift is done activating.  Shouldn't be a hard issue to solve - thanks for letting me know!

EDIT: Okay, think I've got those shift key issues solved.  Please let me know if the problems persist!

Last edited by asetniop (01-Nov-2012 04:13:24)

goodnews.jpg

I FIXED THE BACKSPACE ISSUE!!!

I think.  It seems to be working fine on my end now.  Sorry it took me so long!

this is great!  i think these layouts may have application for wearable keyers as well (my interest).  i doubt waving fingers in the air will be as effective as a tactile (physical) input device for speed or accuracy.

thanks for the neat browser demos.  could you add a line to *disable the regular backspace key*?  i keep hitting it by accident and the browser takes me back a page.

$(document).keydown(function(e) { if (e.keyCode === 8) { return false; } });

-mike

Last edited by mikekuehn (29-Nov-2012 19:23:07)

I work for Keyboardio and post code on GitHub

No problem!  Thanks for supplying the code and making it easy!  Give it a shot; it seems to be working fine from here.  Here's a direct link:

Chordmak Tutorial

Just a heads up to folks; I'll be releasing a few new pages that are designed to help you train (and test your speed) - they run a little better than the tutorials; all the helper features are active, plus there's a backspace repeater (so if you just hold both keys down for a little while, it will repeat the backspace key automatically). 

In more exciting news, my LEAP developer unit has arrived.  So you can probably guess what I'll be spending my weekend doing.  And you can DEFINITELY count on Chordmak being available for the LEAP when consumer units ship.

leap2-640x353.jpg

Hi folks!  I put together a pair of new trainers you can use to practice and test your speed with CHORDMAK - the best that anyone (aside from me) has done with the ASETNIOP version is 41 wpm - think you can beat it?

http://asetniop.com/ipadStopwatchCol-A.html
http://asetniop.com/keyboardStopwatchCol-A.html

By the way, I've added a new feature that makes the backspace repeat simply by holding the appropriate chord (left index and right pinky) for more than a second or so.  Give it a try!

Last edited by asetniop (08-Dec-2012 18:46:09)

awesome.  that leap motion dev kit, jealous to the max!  i hope you're having fun with it. have you tried air-typing?

I work for Keyboardio and post code on GitHub

mikekuehn said:

awesome.  that leap motion dev kit, jealous to the max!  i hope you're having fun with it. have you tried air-typing?

I have!  You can see it in the video below.  I'll hoping to have it working with both hands by the end of the week.

http://youtu.be/fAxZFC3iYGE

@asetniop, great little vid.

The LEAP device looks great though, could you utilise the 3D space?  The one handed typing on a flat surface looks a little awkward.

Last edited by pinkyache (03-Jan-2013 16:01:47)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Hovering hands for long periods of time would be uncomfortable. I hope the final leap implementation can distinguish between resting state and chord input.

How difficult will it be to edit the layout? I think the special characters in particular are difficult of access.

pinkyache said:

@asetniop, great little vid.

The LEAP device looks great though, could you utilise the 3D space?  The one handed typing on a flat surface looks a little awkward.

Thanks!  Ideally, it will work with two hands on any flat horizontal surface (with the device looking across it, not underneath like in the video).  The device isn't quite there yet (it can only track hands in a vertical orientation) but I don't think that's too far off.  I'll be putting together a version that will work in 3-D space so I have something available for when consumer units of the LEAP shift, but I don't expect it to be a true keyboard replacement until things work horizontally.

gdaian said:

Hovering hands for long periods of time would be uncomfortable. I hope the final leap implementation can distinguish between resting state and chord input.

How difficult will it be to edit the layout? I think the special characters in particular are difficult of access.

Making edits to the layout will eventually be a pretty accessible option - we'll probably even include a feature where users can define their own layouts (and skins, of course).  I'm hoping that the new handwriting recognition features will help reduce the need for that, though. 

Ideally, hands won't be hovering - as I mentioned above, they'll be resting/working on a flat surface.  I always figured that tapping eight fingers down would activate/deactivate the keyboard, but I'm sure I'll refine that idea once the LEAP has horizontal capability.

For those of you who are interested in trying the latest iteration, you can get an advance look at the ipad version or the keyboard version

I'll be modifying the keyboard version so that the visual interface looks more like an actual keyboard (hence the "proto") but you'll see it respond to ARST and NEIO when you switch over to the Chordmak layout (the drop-down menu on the lower left).  Some of the more recent additions:

Different colored skins to change the appearance
Upgraded autocorrect and autofill capabilities (use any of the bottom row letters as the shift/autocorrect key; you can shift your ARST and NEIO fingers up to the top row for more comfort)
Layout swap to have access to numbers and symbols (just press the "devil horns" of A, T, N, and O all at the same time).
Handwriting recognition of numbers, symbols, and accent marks (just draw the relevant accent mark immediately after typing the character you'd like it applied to; i.e. type "n" followed by drawing a "~" in the right ring finger pad and you'll get "ñ")

I always really appreciate any and all feedback - go ahead and use the "bug report" button if you've got any suggestions or run into any issues.

Just a quick update - a non-English version (with access to accented characters and deactivation of the autofill and autocorrect features) of Chordmak is now available.

http://asetniop.com/keyboardTutorialCol.html links to the DVORAK variant :(

Question regarding speed: are you using stenography to achieve 70 wpm?

Hi gdaiain, sorry for my slow reply.  Typically when I'm hitting top speeds I'll use stenography for some of the most common words (the, and, that, of) and sometimes autocomplete for the longer ones after I'm 4 or 5 letters in ("impossible", stuff like that).  Here's a (kind of boring) video demonstrating how things look at 65-70 wpm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nygdYinzpmk

Here's a link to the original Dvorak tutorial - http://asetniop.com/keyboardTutorialDvo.html

Things have really come a long way as far as the software is concerned, I have added a base keyboard page (http://asetniop.com/keyboard.html) that you can use as a standard text editor. You just need to swich the layout tab to Chordmak (or Chordvak) and you'll also need to switch the keyboard tab over to Colemak. Please report any bugs (or other requests)!  BTW - I wrote this post using the editor, you can copy and paste text from it using the mouse/touchpad controls (you can also copy/cut/paste *within* it using the Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V commands, but they're still under construction so they might still be buggy).

Oh, and for the DIY-minded, I've also put together a blog post on how to build your own set of keyboard gloves you can use with ASETNIOP (or Chordmak, or Chordvak) - it's here: http://www.asetniop.com/blog/?p=244

Bet you could do something with a MakeyMakey board?

It's quite configurable and has 16 possible keys I think, so it should suffice. Arduino-based fun gadget with possibilities.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***