• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • What thumb do you press a space bar with?

What thumb do you press a space bar with?

• Started by Paul Somebody
    • 5 Replies:

A QWERTY-based touch-typing tutor I have used a while back, "Solo on keyboard", suggested alternating thumb usage depending on what hand you've used to press the last key, which seemed like a sensible policy to me; however, Colemak lessons I am taking now on the web-based typing tutor Type Fu suggest using a left thumb on all occasions.

Is there an official policy on that matter and how do you do this yourself?

No official policy. People's hands have different strengths and weaknesses and some typists experience problems with one or more fingers even when proficient. In this case I'd recommend taking some load off that finger if possible.

I mostly use the right-hand thumb for Space, and for my Caps+Space=Enter shortcut I use either thumb. I have strong fingers so it isn't much of an issue for me.

Some typing tutors are full of it, IMNSHO. ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Any thumb or any combinations you'd like. Mostly people use the right thumb, since it's in their preferred hand.

I use the left thumb, since I am left-handed.

I see. Those are good points, thank you.

If you're typing on a keyboard that's used for gaming with a lot of space presses, maybe it would be better for your keyboard if you used the right thumb for typing. Just a thought from when I started touch typing and I shared a computer with my brother.

I use right thumb. Only one because that's what what advised in the typing tutor I used first.

I use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard, much like this one — http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us … /B2M-00012 Amusingly enough, I use it with GNU\Linux and synergizes almost perfectly.

So, thank you, pafkata90, I think your point applies.

• Index
      • General
      • What thumb do you press a space bar with?