• You are not logged in.

Mac OS X installer

• Started by vilem
  • 37 Replies:

I created a cmk 'installer' for mac this morning. E-mail me if you want to try it out, I still have to finish testing it, but here are some screenshots that guide you through the installation:
step01zs5.th.png
step02qn2.th.png
step03og1.th.png
step04hj4.th.png
step05uf6.th.png
step06ia5.th.png
step07zv7.th.png
step08zm1.th.png
step09ge0.th.png
step10tn2.th.png

Way cool vilem.

Are you sure you need to restart the system though? Here on Leopard as soon as you open International, it detects new layouts automatically.

Edit: No it doesn't detect them automatically. However you can just log out and back in, no need to restart.

Last edited by endaka (28-Oct-2007 14:23:00)

Oh that's cool, I'll update the instructions to say that that's the case for 10.5.
Do you want to try the installer out?

Last edited by vilem (28-Oct-2007 14:19:40)

Eek sorry vilem... edited my post while you were writing yours :)

Sure why not, bring it on!

vilem said:

Oh that's cool, I'll update the instructions to say that that's the case for 10.5.
Do you want to try the installer out?

I thought that was the case for 10.4 ?

Yes, it is, sorry, my bad.

I'm planning to upgrade to leopard some time soon (in the next 2 weeks perhaps) and then I'll further improve the installer. I can't really do much now, though, because I can't use inkscape under 10.3 (panther).

Ugh, inkscape doesn't work for Leopard yet, nor does Pixen. Sorry~
I'm really keen on finishing this one, I'm hoping to find Inkscape compatibility for Leopard soon.

Ha! I got it to work. You have to open X11 before starting Inkscape. This is weird... I don't like the new version of X11.

Last edited by vilem (17-Nov-2007 12:59:05)

Watcha think of this logo? I'm not sure whether it fits into the menubar well, but i think it's not too obscene and matches the usual Leopard style very well. [Notice similarity to main menu apple logo on the top left]
colemaklogogradientaa3.th.png

*sorry for my messy dock btw, it's just that I keep piling stuff onto it and it just all builds up in messy... stacks...

Last edited by vilem (18-Nov-2007 00:47:59)

As promised, I continued working on the installer. I'm not perfectly happy yet and there are a few technical problems that I should be able to fix... [look into the menubar!!] I think the disk image window is too crowded, so i'll spread it out a bit. Please help me by posting about any possible improvements I could make, may it be to the readme file or to the layout of the installer!

picture1iy6.th.png
coblue256yk1.pngcoblack256yb9.png

Last edited by vilem (21-Nov-2007 23:29:58)

Very nice.

villem - for sorting out your stacks in the dock you should look at this small trick: http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

makes everything a lot cleaner..

Sorry for resuscitating this old thread—thought would be great to have the installer done once for all.

I'm not sure about the gradient logo. I think it looks nice in isolation but don't think it integrates well enough with other menu bar icons which tend to be monochrome.

Otherwise the installer looks great. Any chance it could be made available permanently somewhere?

Hey Guys, sorry, I'm in holiday at the moment. I really can't be arsed to work now, but I promise to finish the installer next year!
Oh, and concerning the gradient logo: I have already reverted that to the old style monochrome.
I wish everyone a happy and successful new year~

ugh.. I can't get the installer done any time soon. I've got some issues that trouble me more at the moment.

Don't sweat it, friend. I know how it is, and nobody's pressuring you I hope.

Hope those aren't serious troubles by the way!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

No, it's not serious, thanks for asking though!
If anybody want what I have got so far, just contact me.

Hey... As promised, I've resumed work on this small project. I wasn't really happy with the Colemak logos that I came up with earlier, so I made something new. I've got some mixed feelings about it though, I'm not sure it's the exact right thing. What do you think?
coev9.pngcouz3.png
Maybe it's slightly inspired by the creative commons logo.

Last edited by vilem (14-Jun-2008 00:01:08)

Hi Vilem

I liked the previous logo better, but it's hard to judge because it will end up being displayed at only 16x16. I'm using the Colemak site's favicon myself.

Do you know you can make a "real" installer package with PackageMaker.app? PackageMaker is a part of the free developer tools - optional install on the Leopard DVD.

Cheers, Oliver

Edit: fixed typo.

Last edited by boli (14-Jun-2008 17:29:40)

That's an interesting and bold logo you've designed. It's very striking.

However, I'm not sure that bold and striking is really the look for a keyboard layout icon - I use the monochrome "Co" icon with rounded edges specifically because it looks like an Apple-designed system icon and fits in nicely with the rest of my menu bar extras.

So, from where I sit, a very nice and inspired design, but not one that quite works for this particular usage.

To me, "cmk" is what says "Colemak". Could the logo say "cmk" or "Cmk" instead of Co, or would that look hopeless?

You'd lose that wonderful simple geometric circle look with CMK.  Also, the site's favicon is a little "Co", and I think that was the inspiration.

That's the dilemma right there. 'Co' is graphically sound, but I don't think 'Colemak' from seeing 'Co'. Even worse is 'Col' which gives several associations ranging from colonels to columns. Both 'co' and 'col' are also latin words which confuses people with latin knowledge (even if we are too few these days).

Unfortunately, 'cmk' doesn't easily give itself to calligraphic ligature. A good kerning might make it easier on the eye, but I'm no calligrapher myself. Not sure if it could be pulled off to striking effect.

WTF_4796.goth.3.JPG
   One of my favourite ligatures, heh

Well, I got inspired and made an attempt. I'll upload it after the weekend. Basically, I let the m and k share a stem (obviously) and cut the left stem of the m so it fit with the end of the c. Still undecided whether the lower end of the c should be made orthogonal to better fit in with its' surroundings, or left slanted for graphical effect. As I said, I'm no designer nor calligrapher really, so it could probably use an expert's workover.

That being said, you could do something else with 'Co' as well to make it distinct. Vilem is definitely onto something, but there are other possibilities too. I'm thinking about moving the small 'o' to the middle of the line, possibly inside the 'C' or halfway there?! Could be interesting. Still wouldn't make me think 'Colemak' I guess, but maybe I'm just hopeless.  ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Jun-2008 08:28:54)

Something like this? (Except better looking, of course.)  It evokes the idea of a planet and a moon for me, but then I'm also more into sci fi than the next guy.

co_logo_suggestion.png

Last edited by Korivak (15-Jun-2008 16:01:54)

Exactly. Someone design-savvy may judge how far the C and o should overlap, whether they should be compressed a bit horizontally and suchlike. Compression would mess with the planet-feel so maybe not.

I'm still more in favour of a cmk ligature though.