• You are not logged in.

Tweaking Dvorak

• Started by Isaac
    • 17 Replies:

Looking at the Dvorak layout, I got to wondering what changes will bring it the most benefit. Little things, not changing the whole thing.
    So far the most obvious changes for me are switching U and I, and moving L to someplace else (where?), but still leave it on the right hand.
    Any ex or current Dvorak user here that always wished some little thing was different? What is it?

When I switched to a grid-style keyboard, the SL on the pinky really bothered me.  So i swapped the C and L keys (and for the hell of it, I also swapped the I and U, but that made almost no difference that I could feel) and it felt noticeably better.

On normal keyboards, however, the SL wasn't a problem since I use non-standard fingering.

Otherwise, typing on dvorak felt very nice. I would not have switched to my current layout, but I was making too many 2-letter-swap errors - I guess my left and right hands are not very well coordinated. :)

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot.... I also switched the G and M keys based on my timing-data.

Last edited by makdaddyrak (26-Jul-2008 23:52:49)

Can you elaborate on your non-standard fingering? I think hand position is as important to comfort as the layout, so I am always interested in unorthodox fingering (and then wreck my brain how the new fingering changes the layout's properties...).

Isaac said:

Can you elaborate on your non-standard fingering? I think hand position is as important to comfort as the layout, so I am always interested in unorthodox fingering (and then wreck my brain how the new fingering changes the layout's properties...).

It's using different fingers to increase typing speed. It lowers same-finger keypresses and keeps me typing in constant motion. Comfort increases since you're not locked into typing using unnatural motions.

The downside is that the complexity in learning the layout increases slightly (some phrases would be typed using alternate fingering, while other phrases would use standard fingering). Hence, a slightly higher level of concentration is needed until you get used to it. The end result is that accuracy and speed is improved (at least that was the case in my situation.)

For instance, on standard dvorak, in order to type S-L-I-P, the following standard fingering would be used: right pinky-right pinky-left index-left index.

The fingering I used was: right pinky-right middle-left index-left middle.

I also used other optimisations, but those were just minor "tricks." (like "sliding" fingers between rows, or rocking the finger tips to hit 2 keys simultaneously, etc.)

I employ the same type of tricks on my current layout with words like "know", "ledge", "only", "damn", "queue", etc.

HTH :)

Last edited by makdaddyrak (28-Jul-2008 18:47:38)

When I was using Dvorak, I made two modifications: switching I and U, and switching Y and P. The second is a very minor improvement. Other improvements I considered:

-switching C and L
    -switching G and M
    -switching G and L
    -rearranging the bottom keys so that there was more weight on the left hand

There are some other problems that cannot be easily changed. A major one is that the punctuation is in too good of a position, which is a result of putting all the vowels on one side. A vowel should not be put on the index finger. Here's a quick attempt at fixing that:

'.ULWFGCYP
    AOERHDTNIS
    ;QJKXBMV,Z

This version has much better same finger, and more rolls (in/is). Also I think the travel distance is lower.

Swapping F and P would reduce same finger, but that would require moving F from its original position.

This version keeps 17 keys in place. Several more only move a little, like V.

It looks like both Dvorak and Colemak assume that the qwerty-G position is easier to reach than the qwerty-E position.  My subjective experience over a long time reaching for these keys doesn't bear this out.  I find stretching a finger sideways, even on the home row, to be more effort than moving a finger directly up by one cell, especially on the left hand.   Maybe the weighting system shouldn't automatically assign everything in the home row a higher ease value.

SpeedMorph said:

There are some other problems that cannot be easily changed. A major one is that the punctuation is in too good of a position, which is a result of putting all the vowels on one side. A vowel should not be put on the index finger. Here's a quick attempt at fixing that:

I actually find that to be a positive quality of Dvorak, though it caused me to have too many 2-letter swaps. After re-visiting colemak (and various variants) over the past 2.5 months, I have to say that I prefer the overall typing style of dvorak. If I were better coordinated, I'd have stuck to it. In fact, it looks like I might be switching back if I don't see more improvements in my typing speed soon.

SpeedMorph said:
    '.ULWFGCYP
    AOERHDTNIS
    ;QJKXBMV,Z

This version has much better same finger, and more rolls (in/is). Also I think the travel distance is lower.

Swapping F and P would reduce same finger, but that would require moving F  from its original position.

This version keeps 17 keys in place. Several more only move a little, like V.

LOL. But this would have a completely different typing style/dynamic than dvorak. He'd be better off learning something more standardized...like Colemak. ;)

It's almost futile to try and tweak the standard dvorak layout. The improvements would be so minimal as to be inconsequential. I think it's better to figure out what kind of typist you are and pick a layout that matches that style.

ds26gte said:

It looks like both Dvorak and Colemak assume that the qwerty-G position is easier to reach than the qwerty-E position.  My subjective experience over a long time reaching for these keys doesn't bear this out.  I find stretching a finger sideways, even on the home row, to be more effort than moving a finger directly up by one cell, especially on the left hand.   Maybe the weighting system shouldn't automatically assign everything in the home row a higher ease value.

I find that to be true. I think part of the reason for this is that the middle finger is long, and it almost wants to stretch out to the key above it.

Some layouts that take advantage of this are Capewell's Layout, Arensito, and MTGAP's Layout (my layout) which can be found at the alternative layouts page.

LOL. But this would have a completely different typing style/dynamic than dvorak. He'd be better off learning something more standardized...like Colemak. ;)

I won't deny that.

Actually what I had in mind was to find out if some small changes could make Dvorak as efficient as Colemak (not taking into account the convinience of ZXCV in Colemak for the sake of argument).

In other words, if...

- Moving L away from the pinky
    - Switching U and I
    - Turning Capslock into Backspace
    - and maybe one other thing

...will be enough to solve any glaring issues with Dvorak.

All this because from the little I played with Dvorak, the hand alternation style feels very natural.

Last edited by Isaac (30-Jul-2008 20:45:14)

Efficiency is a very subjective/touchy term. Some people equate efficiency with minimising finger-distance. Others equate it with fastest speed attainable. Yet others incorporate a combination of comfort and abstract qualities like finger-rolls, same-key presses, row jumping to come up with an 'effort algorithm'.

It all depends on what kind of a typist you are. If you like the high hand alternation and you're better coordinated than I am, then dvorak will probably be better for you than colemak. It's just that good. This is without the 3 simple modifications (swapping U and I, C and L, Caps and Bksp).

With the modifications, it'll be almost indistinguishable on paper.... but you'll definitely feel the difference when you type.

Here's a thought - why not try them both?... :)

Last edited by makdaddyrak (30-Jul-2008 22:17:23)

It seems like reducing finger travel distance would increase typing speed, but it doesn't. Maybe it increases the typing speed limit. The real problem with speed is muscle memory, not finger strength. My experience on 5 different keyboards is that I can type equally fast on each one. Some are just more comfortable than others.

Isaac said:

Looking at the Dvorak layout, I got to wondering what changes will bring it the most benefit. Little things, not changing the whole thing.

In my experience, the most benefit comes from learning to type properly, and using a good mechanical keyboard (http://ergocanada.com/ergo/keyboards/me … tches.html)

Isaac said:

So far the most obvious changes for me are switching U and I, and moving L to someplace else (where?), but still leave it on the right hand.
    Any ex or current Dvorak user here that always wished some little thing was different? What is it?

Swapping U and I doesn't help much English typing. I do think Dvorak had good reason to put them where thI've swapped them, but I type mostly Italian, where vowel digraphs involving "I" are way more common.

What's so bad about L?

BTW, have a look at Capewell-Dvorak.

I think it boils down to this:
    - you are using a standard keyboard ->
          - you think hand alternation is good (I do) -> go Dvorak
          - you think finger rolls are good -> go Colemak
    - you are using a contoured keyboard with more keys for your thumbs -> go with Maltron or Arensito.

That's it.

Isaac said:

I wish the ANSI Dvorak layout were more similar to that developed by Dvorak on typewriters, instead of being a knock-off of ANSI Qwerty. Here is an image of an original Dvorak typewriter:

Dvorak_keyboard_OM.JPG

Notice placement of numbers and digits.

EDIT: added reference to switches comparison.

Last edited by spremino (27-Nov-2009 11:11:43)

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I imagine that if the dvorak layout were still shuffling the numbers about (albeit for the noble cause of getting the most common digits to your strong fingers) people would take it even less seriously than today and by a substantial margin too. That certainly isn't the way to go in my opinion.

Then again, it doesn't matter if you have a NumPad function key to get a NumPad to your home position - my preferred method.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

IME switching U and I trades speed/quality to get a lower distance.  We should do some tests and see how distance correlates to typing speed.  This would be incredibly easy to do because you could simply take many basic words in a typing test, record the speed at which they were typed and compare this to the "distance travelled" for typing that word.  I have not done this, but I would really like to see how much "distance" is "worth" and how it seems to work.

klalkity said:

We should do some tests and see how distance correlates to typing speed.

I don't think they are correlated very much. Some Qwerty typists are quite fast in spite of having to travel at least 40% more than Colemak or Dvorak.

Last edited by spremino (01-Dec-2009 09:40:25)

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

I don't think he was looking for correlations between different typists using different layouts, but for correlations in data from individual typists - eg. do you type 5-letter words faster if they involve less distance or not?

But there are more factors than just distance.  Anyone will be slower typing "htkin" than "think" although they involve the same distance.  The former is not a word and the brain needs more time to parse it letter by letter, while the latter is for many people a common word, typed in almost a single movement.

Many people learning about alternative keyboard layouts initially put too much focus on speed, while more experienced Colemak users often find the comfort factors far more important.  I think we should focus less on "speed" and more on purely ergonomical aspects when advocating Colemak (or Dvorak).

ghen, I think you have understood my meaning.  I believe that the problem you are talking about would be ironed out if we looked at enough words--a big enough sample.

For optimizing keyboards i'm wondering what's the correlation between letters and brains? Perhaps vowels or certain letters have more preference for one side of the brain (and hand) which would help make keyboards more intuitive.
    Considering hand alternating sometimes confusing, distance isn't always the issue, and learning the layout is an issue, has mental comfort been explored as much as physical comfort?