• You are not logged in.

Windows 7

• Started by Rampant
    • 9 Replies:

I cannot get it to install on Windows 7. It tells me that there is a common shell DLL error if I try to click on properties.

http://hi-games.net/profile/1596 (my 'colemak' profile)

Have you tried "recompiling" from the .klc file source using MS Keyboard Layout Creator? (If that works on Windows 7)

If that doesn't work, you could try getting the new Autohotkey beta (that's supposed to be fast) if the old AHK scripts are too slow for you? They aren't for me, but i "only" type at around 65 WPM.

I'm keeping an eye on the MSKLC and Michael Kaplan's blog to see if there are any Win7-specific issues, but so far I haven't seen anything.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Jan-2009 14:00:29)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I am using Windowd 7 Beta. I was able to install the standard (non-beta) colemak keyboard, but did have show stopping issues.

My installed keyboard configuration is:
      US -> Colemak (alt+shift+1), US (alt+shift+2)
      Korean -> MS Korean IME 2000 (alt+shift+3)
      (toggle language) -> (alt+shift)

At first the only issue I had was the alt+shift+3 command would not switch except in Windows Explorer. alt+shift could still toggle so this was not the end of the world, just annoying. alt+shift+1 and alt+shift+2 worked fine.

After a few days use I started losing the ability to use alt+shift+1 to switch to Colemak: I would boot into US and be stuck there. This is also the point where the the keyboard "properties" for Colemak stopped working (if I pressed it the keyboard layout viewer program just crashed). For anyone unfamiliar with the 'properties' button (I had not seen it in WindowsXP), here is a screencapture:
    2pquihe.png

I could solve this issue very temporarily (until next system restart) by removing US keyboard so only Colemak and KoreanIME remain, but after restart Colemak fails to be switched to again (resulting in being stuck in KoreanIME). Also I like to have the option to switch back to US for when anyone else gets on my PC.

So... I don't have any solutions yet, but hopefully some more info helps.

I downloaded Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 and tried loading/resaving/rebuilding the Colemak.klc file. I was able to create a new Colemak installer which seems in my testing (a few restarts) to not stop working, but it does not have the innovative CapsLock->Backspace switch.

I tried the "Caps to Backspace.reg" to get this functionality back, but it had no effect. If I had to guess I would say the CapsLock remapping is what is holding up the Colemak keyboard 'driver'.

I am using the AHK script with no issue right now as a stopgap, but I vastly prefer OS-level support... When I have a lot going on and my system lags AHK always can end up dropping conversions.

To anyone else working toward a fix on this, thanks :)

It's not a keyboard driver at all, but a system layout we're talking about. It's a .dll file that tells the winuser.h component which scan code does what (including modifiers, dead keys and whatnot) when called, as I understand it. A keyboard driver would make sure the scan codes got into your system in the first place, and also run things like the LEDs and special stuff; have a chat with the keyboard's microcontroller as it were.

The MSKLC doesn't allow more fancy remappings like CapsLock (or other special keys, or the NumPad for that matter). Keyman by Tavultesoft could do those things I think, but apparently with Vista it didn't work anymore because of new security policies from Microsoft. Windows has become more finicky about just what it accepts input from these days, which I guess makes sense from a security point of view, but it does make remapping harder. I think that's where it's stopped for the so-called 'Colemak beta install', too - Shai was mentioning Keyman before as a means to getting everything including the CapsLock key into one install.

If the .reg file doesn't do anything, that's a bit annoying. It's supposed to create a key under the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout that holds the values for remapping incoming scan codes to other, virtual scan codes (i.e., at a very low level for the system). Very useful; I hope Win7 doesn't remove this possibility for us.

I don't use the CapsLock remapping anymore myself, in part because it's harder to do than the rest. I also like to reserve that key for 'extend/transpose' mappings in PKL and otherwise, using it as an extra modifier key instead. Very useful.

Regarding the Alt+Shift+# mappings getting lost, I've seen similar things happen on WinXP. I think it's a general weakness of that part of the system.

According to this post http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html , SharpKeys works on Windows 7. And SharpKeys is just a simple program that edits that particular registry entry.

So I can't think why there have been problems with Windows 7.  Unless you haven't been running the .reg file with Admin priveleges.  Cos it probably won't work unless you do that.

Hi, the registry caps->backspace is working now for me. I am not sure what I was doing incorrectly, but no matter it seems I am wrong about this *.reg file not working in Windows 7.

I don't remember the contents of that file exactly. If it makes an entry under LOCAL_MACHINE then it's for all users, if under CURRENT_USER then... well, that's self-explanatory. Might've been that you tried it without install privileges as mentioned, or maybe the file is a per-user one and you installed it under one user and tried it under another?

Guess it's water under the bridge by now.  ;)

I am currently using the caps-backspace.reg combined with the installer made from opening/resaving/rebuilding the colemak klc file with the newest MKLC and it seems to be working. It has survived several restarts and even better my 'alt+shift+3' toggle directly to Korean IME is working now.