• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Modifiable Colemak layout and layout toggle (Autohotkey)

Modifiable Colemak layout and layout toggle (Autohotkey)

• Started by TheGopher
    • 1 Replies:

Note: This only works on Windows machines.

Autohotkey was built for remapping keys.

I created a script that you guys may find helpful. It's modeled after arkenflame's Dvorak script here: https://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic27474.html

It is really simple and versatile. If there is anything about the Colemak layout that you don't like, simply edit and reload the script.

You first need to download and install some software. It's called AutoHotkey and is extremely useful for just about everything.
    It can be found here: https://www.autohotkey.com/download/

Here is the script:

;START CODE

SendMode Input
    #NoEnv
    Menu, Tray, Icon, main.cpl, 8

;----------- REMAP TO COLEMARK

;q::' ;no change
    ;w::, ;no change
    e::f
    r::p
    t::g
    y::j
    u::l
    i::u
    o::y
    p::;
    ;[::/ ;no change
    ;]::= ;no change
    ;\::\ ;no change

;a::a ;no change
    s::r
    d::s
    f::t
    g::d
    h::h
    j::n
    k::e
    l::i
    SC027::o
    ;SC028::- ;no change

;z::z ;no change
    ;x::q ;no change
    ;c::j ;no change
    ;v::k ;no change
    ;b::x ;no change
    n::k
    ;m::m ;no change
    ;,::w ;no change
    ;.::v ;no change
    ;/::z ;no change
    CapsLock::Backspace
    Backspace::CapsLock

;----------- RELEASE KEYS FROM REMAP WHEN MODIFIER DOWN

*Ctrl::
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{Ctrl DownTemp}
    Suspend On
    return
    *Ctrl up::
    Suspend Off
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{Ctrl Up}
    return

*Alt::
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{Alt DownTemp}
    Suspend On
    return
    *Alt up::
    Suspend Off
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{Alt Up}
    return

*LWin::
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{LWin DownTemp}
    Suspend On
    return
    *LWin up::
    Suspend Off
    SetKeyDelay -1
    Send {Blind}{LWin Up}
    return

;----------- TOGGLE COLEMARK-QWERTY WITH RIGHT ALT KEY

*RAlt::
    Suspend, Permit
    Suspend, toggle
    Hotkey, *Ctrl, toggle
    Hotkey, *Ctrl up, toggle
    Hotkey, *Alt, toggle
    Hotkey, *Alt up, toggle
    Hotkey, *LWin, toggle
    Hotkey, *LWin up, toggle
    return

;END CODE

How to get it running:
    Once you have AutoHotkey installed on your computer, open up notepad and paste the script. Then save as Colemak.ahk. You could save it as anything as long as the extension is ".ahk". Now, go find where you saved the script and double click it to run it.

Features:
    Pushing the right alt button will toggle the Colemak layout on or off. I used right alt because I don't have a right windows button. If you want to use the right windows button instead, change the line of code that says "*RAlt::" to "*RWin::"
    This is good for gaming or applications where you need a QWERTY layout. You can quickly and easily switch back and forth between the two layouts as needed.

Holding alt, control, or the windows key will suspend all the hotkeys. This means that all hotkeys with control, alt, or the windows key will work as they would on a QWERTY keyboard layout. (Win + r, ctrl + s, ctrl + t...)

If you don't want this function, delete  the corresponding block of code from under the ";----------- RELEASE KEYS FROM REMAP WHEN MODIFIER DOWN" comment.

This script switches the backspace key and the caps lock key, turning your backspace key into a caps lock key and your caps lock key into a backspace key. THIS WAY YOU CAN STILL USE CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL. Or, BILLIE MAYS HERE WITH...
    If you want your backspace key to work normally like the traditional Colemak layout, delete the line of code that says "Backspace::CapsLock"

I think you can figure out how to change individual keys on your own it's pretty easy. Just change "x::y" to "x::z" where x is the key on your QWERTY layout and y or z is the character that the remapped key sends.

Also, for super-convenience, the Autohotkey software comes with a compiler. You can use it to compile this script into a portable .exe file that you can store on your thumb drive or as an e-mail attatchment so that you can have this wherever you go. You can just run the compiled script (which will be about  200-300 kb, extremely small) on whatever computer you're on be it a library computer, work computer, or a school computer and you'll have all the functionality of the regular script except you won't be able to edit it.
    To compile the script, just right click on it and click Compile Script. There should now be a Colemak.exe file in the same place as your Colemak.ahk script. Now you may do whatever you want with it.

I hope this helps someone, It sure made my life a lot easier.

Heh, that's been really really done before. But hey, grats on making your own version of it!  :D

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Modifiable Colemak layout and layout toggle (Autohotkey)