• You are not logged in.

Colemak Dell Mini 10v :D

• Started by Unreasonable Man
    • 9 Replies:

I'm just starting my Colemak adventure, but I thought I would say, "hello" and show off my "Colemak'd" Dell mini.

You will probably notice that some keys are *ahem* upside-down...on the Dell mini some keys' clips are....well oriented upside-down.

I MAY correct this with decals when I use decals to give my mini Mac style command keys, but I kind of think that it makes me look like a mad scientist when people see it. :D

dell3.jpg

Sometime soon I will swap the keys on my slim mac wireless keyboard and those should all be right-side up!

-Unreasonable Man

Last edited by Unreasonable Man (27-Jan-2010 15:36:04)

Interesting effect.

I've got a swapped Apple Wired Keyboard, and can assure you that all the keys go on the right way up:
    colemak-swap6.jpg
    I did a write-up here a while back: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=234

Additionally, right-thinking Mac users have the Dock on the side. Me, I like the left.

Uh?  My Dell Mini 10 could be properly Colemak'ized...

Edit: sorry, mine is a Mini 12.

mini12_colemak2.jpg

See this thread btw for more key swapping examples.

Last edited by ghen (11-Nov-2017 20:24:14)

Is that a variant of my keyboard image there on your screen?  :)

I really like the upside-down keys! Those are keepers if you ask me. On this Model M board I used a number '5' key with a nub for the 'N' but that's nowhere near as cool as yours and just looks alone and misplaced. The poor thing; but nubless typing is worse for me (the left hand is okay because of the 'F' and closeness to the edge).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I have something similar with my HP keyboard at work, but the F/J keys are rotated 90°, instead of 180°.  That makes it really awkward to put them in Colemak position, because their surface will be slanted (due to their asymmetrical shape).

I really wonder why so many manufacturers make their F/J (or sometimes G/H) keys different from the rest...

Korivak said:

Additionally, right-thinking Mac users have the Dock on the side. Me, I like the left.

I've always had it in the center, is it cause I'm ambi? o.0

ghen said:

Uh?  My Dell Mini 10 could be properly Colemak'ized...

Edit: sorry, mine is a Mini 12.

http://users.telenet.be/ghen/colemak/mi … lemak2.jpg

See this thread btw for more key swapping examples.

Hehe, yeah mine is a 10v as well which might be different than the 10 and the 12.

DreymaR said:

Is that a variant of my keyboard image there on your screen?  :)

I really like the upside-down keys! Those are keepers if you ask me.

Hehe. Well I'm certainly going to leave it like this for a while and enjoy people thinking I'm rain man!

Unreasonable Man said:

You will probably notice that some keys are *ahem* upside-down...on the Dell mini some keys' clips are....well oriented upside-down.

I MAY correct this with decals when I use decals to give my mini Mac style command keys, but I kind of think that it makes me look like a mad scientist when people see it. :D

http://nicmelody.com/tech/dell3.jpg

I thought the F and J were inverted so the nubs on them don't give false feedback!

I thought the F and J were inverted so the nubs on them don't give false feedback!

Ha! No, although that's a nice side-effect...

I got a skin for the keyboard, however, that has nubs so I have them in the proper place when I use my mini.