• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Should I learn this? Some of my thoughts...Some advise please.

Should I learn this? Some of my thoughts...Some advise please.

• Started by Culinia
  • 36 Replies:

After about 2 weeks of learning how to touch type, and touch typing for about 4 weeks, I have got to what I think is an above average typing speed, at 53wpm and best 65wpm under the right conditions i.e. no symbols/numbers.

However I am starting to think about learning Colemak, however a few thoughts have put me off.

Some disadvantages (-) and some advantages (+) :

- Laziness, that's right - after going through all that to teach myself how to touch type, do I really want to be doing that again? Well, not really. It was not fun, but sure if awesome at the end that I am the only one that can type properly most of the time at the library or whatever - not that I care for status, just that it is nice to know I taught myself that...something useful.
+Would be even awesome to learn an entire new layout. Not only can you touch type, but another layout.

- For the sake of completeness I think I would prefer to reseat my keys, putting the f and j key out of place which would be not good for the bump would be out of sync for the home row e.g.
+ Who cares? Touch typing is exactly that - touch not look.

- Time, I'm at Uni and I do enough procrastinating as it is.
+ Teach myself eventually at summer break next year.

- Too many alternate layouts. All these different layout is confusing me, Colemak is the most reasonable I think in terms of shortcuts zxcv, but then again other layouts such as the 'workman' seem to me very convincing therefore I remain at the status quo.

- Dominance of qwerty: learning qwerty is like learning English, used much around the world, input lots of computers.
+ Apart from going to the library, what other computers would I need to use? (Can't execute program files so no quick switch to colemak)

+ Might as well start sooner or later before I increase my wpm on qwerty and be put off totally.

As you can see, I have pretty much cancelled myself out and I am now seeking advice from the experts. How would you recommend when is the best place to learn colemak if at all.

I don't do any heavy typing but if the claims are true about reducing RSI and such, then I think it would be a good investment as to not develop it.

Ok thanks for reading!

Some counter-arguments. ;-)

Culinia said:

- For the sake of completeness I think I would prefer to reseat my keys, putting the f and j key out of place which would be not good for the bump would be out of sync for the home row e.g.
+ Who cares? Touch typing is exactly that - touch not look.

I rearranged the keys on my laptop but not on other computers, and exactly that is confusing me.  When I do look down occasionally (usually for passwords), I'm used to mapping Qwerty to Colemak in my head, and looking down to a Colemak-arranged keyboard to type Colemak is ... more difficult for me.

- Too many alternate layouts. All these different layout is confusing me, Colemak is the most reasonable I think in terms of shortcuts zxcv, but then again other layouts such as the 'workman' seem to me very convincing therefore I remain at the status quo.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good."  So because you're not sure which keyboard layout is best, you stick to the worst?

- Dominance of qwerty: learning qwerty is like learning English, used much around the world, input lots of computers.
+ Apart from going to the library, what other computers would I need to use? (Can't execute program files so no quick switch to colemak)

Keyboard layouts are not like languages in that you don't need anyone else to know it to be able to use it.  Too bad you can't run Colemak in the library (if they ran Linux, it would be a standard option though ;-)), but typing Qwerty from time to time is not too bad.  I never practice Qwerty, but found out that I can still type it reasonably well (not touch typing though, but still faster than most people).

+ Might as well start sooner or later before I increase my wpm on qwerty and be put off totally.

A good touch typing technique will help nevertheless, if you decide to learn Colemak later.

I don't do any heavy typing but if the claims are true about reducing RSI and such, then I think it would be a good investment as to not develop it.

My biggest benefits from Colemak are not about RSI or speed as often cited, just comfort/efficiency, and the fact that people stay away from my computer. ;-)

The Workman is one man and possibly a few interested followers. Colemak is hundreds if not thousands of happy users. We're constantly arguing whether Colemak can be improved upon but mostly it falls down on personal preferences (and in many cases, creators not having thought things through quite as rigidly as Shai did - hehe); if you're so die-hard that you really want to find something ultimate for yourself and not necessarily the majority then you can pursue any of these alternatives but for a popular choice that improves majorly on QWERTY it's really down to Dvorak or Colemak I think. And of those two, I've tried both and chosen Colemak but others have chosen otherwise.

Having to type QWERTY now and then (for instance, on my Playstation) isn't really a problem for me at least. Mostly, I may type a character or two wrong before I settle in but after that it's smooth sailing. I look at the keyboard more when typing QWERTY but it's no biggie. And I feel a dissatisfaction that I'm not typing in the best layout I know, of course!

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Oct-2010 09:03:41)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Now now DreymaR, lets not make this too easy for the undecided. After all, if layouts were a popularity contest, qwerty would win! (Hint: In case y'all didn't catch it, this is ironic. Why: Winning doesn't have anything to do with it. Layouts are about finding what is best for you.)

So, in light of fairness we can't forget all of the other alternate layouts. Which I could list here, but I won't, since most of the interesting ones are already listed in the FAQ on the main page under "What are the other alternative layouts besides Colemak". You did read the FAQ didn't you? And there is a whole branch of this forum dedicated to experiences you might find enlightening.

To add my own bit of advice, check the carpalx website. Good data on various layouts, and a couple interesting layouts of his own with their own Portable Keyboard Layout program. I don't think they compare to Colemak, but the 5 and 10 step layouts are interesting concept pieces.

Last edited by cevgar (08-Oct-2010 13:04:58)

My take: If QWERTY represents, say, 30% goodness then Colemak and Dvorak represent something in the 90-95% range of what's optimal for any given typist. You may manage to tweak out a few more percents by making a layout that's suited for your particular needs, but the chance that any of the machine-optimized or just plain hacked-together layouts out there are substantially better than what Colemak with all its other benefits will give you is a gamble; you might as well end up with something worse than something that's better for you.

So yes, if you're really motivated to do a lot of research on the topic of what would suit you best then go ahead. If not, don't waste time skimming carpalx and the hundred other alternatives.

DreymaR said:

... but for a popular choice that improves majorly on QWERTY it's really down to Dvorak or Colemak I think. And of those two, I've tried both and chosen Colemak ...

Ditto !

Alright, awesome stuff.

ghen, that sure is a good idea for people to stay away from my computer. Although I'm sure the competent ones will know how to switch back to qwerty.

DreymaR, thanks for the summary, I will probably do some research anyway and do the switch.

Thanks for comments. I will try and learn Colemak sometime, perhaps when I have a three week break, after some research as and when I can.

It's a good idea to have some time on your hands and not expect too large results too fast! Best of luck!

Ok thanks!

lol, instead of my original plan I kind of went ahead of learning the layout anyway... Here's how I am doing so far: 31wpm

http://hi-games.net/typing-test,300/watch?u=4142

This is about 40 mins each day on maybe less than 20 on some days that I am busy and more when I am not. I have also stopped using qwerty from day one after 2 hours on the keyboard. 

Using TypeFaster and keybr.com and like one test on hi-games -

:D

Which also means that I can type my first essay in colemak I think later this week.

Last edited by Culinia (16-Oct-2010 15:55:47)
Culinia said:

Which also means that I can type my first essay in colemak I think later this week.

Yipee!

That's the spirit!

I wish I'd kept a diary so I could track my progress over time.

Luckily I had time to switch to a different layout when I wasn't pressured.  And went cold turkey from Qwerty.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

DreymaR said:

The Workman is one man and possibly a few interested followers. Colemak is hundreds if not thousands of happy users.

This implies that the workman is not a good choice because only a few people use it, when Colemak is used by a lot more.  I find it very ironic that this reasoning would come from a Colemak user.

DreymaR said:

(and in many cases, creators not having thought things through quite as rigidly as Shai did - hehe);

This can be paraphrased as "Shai has thought things through more thoroughly and most others have not so Colemak must be the better choice." This sounds like a combination of Appeal to Authority and Appeal to Blind Faith --- at least some form of Genetic Fallacy.

I'm not saying that the workman is a better choice over Colemak or vice versa but I just think that these reasons are bad reasonings and it just peevs me to see them here. We can't knock the workman just because it is young. There might be a practical benefit to choosing the majority, but sometimes there aree good reasons to choosing the minority. Linux is an example. And bada bing bada boom, Colemak itself is an example. Not too long ago Colemak was in the same position as this new workman is now. That's why it's so ironic. Colemak's popularity gives it the benefit of making it more "convenient" than the workman at this present time but it does not necessarily make it a better or worse layout. Like Cevgar said, it's not a popularity contest.

I personally think that Shai did a great job on Colemak but this doesn't mean that the workman guy's ideas are not as thorough in fact the guy seems to have put a lot of thought into his layout as well. I give credit to where credit is due. If you read his blog, I would like any of you to argue that it is not well thought out. You can't. You can disagree with him. But you cannot say that he did not put some serious thought into it. Or that Shai thought more than him. The fact is... it doesn't matter whether Dvorak or Shai or this other workman dude thought more about their layouts or not. Instead it's whether the thoughts (or reasons) that they give you are right. Each person should look at the evidences and merits of each layout and come to his/her own conclusion as to whether the reasons given are valid or not. It's not whether you think the author or leader is better or smarter or works harder or what not. It's about the layout not the authors.

I've also seen things like "I'm sure Shai could disprove this or that, or Shai could tell you why Colemak is better". It could be true... or not. But the thing is, the fact that one resorts to this kind of reasoning tells me that person saying this doesn't really know why. So it's a pseudo-evidence in a way. It seems like he/she is giving evidence but really not. If you're no sure exactly why for yourself then you just shouldn't say anything and not try to put it on somebody else, or try to appear like you know when you don't. You just end up looking like a blind follower.

So if you decide on Colemak because it's more convenient for you, or it's good enough for you, then let that be your reason. But no one here should say (or even imply) that another layout is worse, or is a hack job, or not well thought out, without giving some real good, solid, logical evidences and reasons... not just imaginary numbers or statistics pulled from thin air.

I'm not trying to attack any person here in particular. I'm trying to be reasonable here.

Last edited by CaptainKirk (22-Oct-2010 23:30:53)

I'm not claiming that my arguments up there are infallible, Captain Kirk. They're arguments of convenience which indeed does seem ironic considering the QWERTY case. But no matter who you address there will be a balance struck between innovation and convenience and that's a hard fact. Workman may indeed be brilliant but my personal choice is to not spend the effort needed to determine whether that's the case. I haven't got the resources to start a proper scientific study of twenty competing new layouts for instance - to my knowledge, nobody has seen fit to do the required thing yet.

So you should consider my arguments not as attempting to prove anything (or derail anything) but as "gambler's tips". My guess is that Colemak does AT LEAST 96% of what the "perfect" layout could do versus QWERTY, and yes - that's a number out of my derrière. And for most people, the remainder of the argument will then boil down to... yes exactly, convenience. So I don't think it's wrong to point out that Colemak WHILE IMPROVING A LOT on QWERTY and in my opinion even improving a little on Dvorak, ALSO has a by now more convenient implementation than most of its competition in terms of support and whatnot.

Shai usually comes through with a compelling and interesting explanation for every little detail I manage to ask him about. That's why I mentioned it. Sorry if you took that as an attempt at derailing - which I can easily understand seen from the outside.

What both cevgar and CaptainKirk need to do in my opinion, is read the original post very thoroughly. The topic maker clearly states that (s)he's in doubt because of time and effort constraints as well as the daunting number of possibilities.

Therefore, trying to boil it down and simplify at the risk of oversimplification is perfectly in order in this particular instance! Had the topic maker seemed, say, like a kid with infinite time and energy to spend on research, my answers would've been different.

If a banker's bet is asked for, nobody expects a thesis.

[edit: On the topic of Shai's answers, he just analyzed the Workman a bit in this post:
https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=939
Not because he's an authority, but because his answers usually are well thought out and therefore a good read!  :)  ]

Last edited by DreymaR (26-Oct-2010 12:04:33)

Whee! Ok, I'm not really sure how I got dragged back into this one, but to clear the record, I was being purposefully unhelpful. I thought that I was making a pretty clear statement that I didn't see much point for 'Yet Another Should I Switch' thread when I tried to direct Culinia's attention to both the FAQs page and the Experiences forum. That is what they are there for. Perhaps I should have been more direct. More likely, I should have just kept my trap shut.

Classy comeback there, cevgar!  :)  Thank you for not keeping said trap shut.

And so, the abbreviation 'YASIS thread' came to life.

DreymaR said:

What both cevgar and CaptainKirk need to do in my opinion, is read the original post very thoroughly. The topic maker clearly states that (s)he's in doubt because of time and effort constraints as well as the daunting number of possibilities.

Therefore, trying to boil it down and simplify at the risk of oversimplification is perfectly in order in this particular instance! Had the topic maker seemed, say, like a kid with infinite time and energy to spend on research, my answers would've been different.

Thanks DreymaR, and the others firstly for being patient in your response and sharing your comments and thanks especially to DreymaR for making me convert to colemak by your helpful answer. I am now at 53wpm according to a 5 min typing test on hi-games.net! Also I did finish that essay on colemak albeit at 30 wpm or something last week when I was slower.

(Not practising as much as I used to, perhaps an hour a day now that I am at a reasonable speed.)

Sounds like you're making good progress then. Best of luck with your further efforts and welcome to Colemak!  :)

All I have to say is that with my jedi typing (not looking, typing without looking, and not using 8 fingers (2-4 fingers) I type at 103 wpm peak. I tested my QWERTY speed 2 days ago. I type at 80-85 wpm on Colemak. I don't have a conflict between my muscle memory for both layouts are different. and honestly, I prefer 2-4 finger typing when it comes to programming.. I can't STAND touch typing for programming. Using my pinky for so many symbols? no way. I prefer Colemak for general writing. Since writing in general uses very few symbols and not every other second compared to programming.

What's wrong with the QWERTY layout?

It suffers from an extremely high ratio of home-row-jumping sequences (e.g. "minimum")

It places very rare letters in the best positions, so your fingers have to move a lot more.

It suffers from a high same finger ratio that slows down typing and increases strain.

What's wrong with the Dvorak layout?

Placing 'L' on the QWERTY 'P' position causes excessive strain on the right pinky. Colemak doesn't place frequent letters where the pinkies stretch.

'F' is on the QWERTY 'Y' position which is a difficult stretch on normal keyboards.
'I' is very frequent but isn't on the home position.
'R' is very frequent but isn't on the home row.

It is significantly lopsided so that the right hand does too much work.

'L' and 'S' form a frequent same-finger digraph on the right pinky. Same-finger for the pinky is very rare in Colemak.

(I attempted Dvorak initially but even as a novice I became aware of its limitations which is what lead me to find Colemak.)

I've never touched typed before, but now that I am cruising at 30 words per minute (week 3 with Colemak) my fingers are beginning to feel words without the brain getting in the way.  Colemak makes this effortless the way common letter patterns just tumble right into each other.  It is a well thought out layout that simply flows. I can only imagine what a difference this will make at 60 words per minute and beyond.

Last edited by slowfingers (03-Dec-2010 01:08:37)

Hey guys, I am now happy to report that I have persevered and am also happy to report that according to hi-games.net my typing speed is now 69wpm on a 5 minute test (85 on 1 & 74 2 mins) and it also means I have surpassed my previous qwerty speeds (mission accomplished). Quite an improvement since my last post. However I know that this is slow progress compared to most competent typists, but I am happy with limited practice a day :D hah, it's not like if I'm in a rush to complete this layout and go back to another keyboard layout now is it lol? :D Skills for life :)

Last edited by Culinia (04-Feb-2011 22:42:40)

Grats! I think that's sweet progress. It always seems that "everybody" progress faster than you but I think it's mostly a matter of publication bias.  :)

You've certainly surpassed my speeds. Good work!

Hey thanks DreymaR :D

You are a real motivator ;)

Just a quick update: well I've kept practising over the summer and, although not quite as fast some people learnt in the same time period on hi-games as I confess, I would like to convey with a bit of sustained time (2-5 mins per morning & evening) it is entirely possible to go to 100wpm which is my goal.

I say 'is' because firstly my top speed is actually 99wpm lol and secondly I do not have a consistent 90+wpm yet.

Anyway I am now pleased to update my score:
30 sec - 98wpm
1 min - 99wpm
2 min - 90wpm
5 min - 86wpm

Not bad, eh? With a bit of time and patience you can do it too!

PS: I thought I would emphasize it took a lot of time going from the 75s to the 90s. A real lot of time. I would also share with you how at least in my case I got to these speed.

My tip which I have became conscious of which allowed me to go faster than 70wpm (which was where I was at for a very long time, some several months) is to try and look at the words ahead whilst typing at varying speed. Easy words such as 'the' etc., and I presume with all the other really common words/ other words you type out on a daily basis can be done without thinking after time. Therefore I found the aim is to eventually break down the word with certain combinations i.e. certain smaller common words so that you can combine them into bigger ones (com-bi-na-tions) into one effortless movement (mo-ve-men-t). Try to break down words into combos - hard to explain but for example when I type ex-am-ple like that with the sli-gh-test pause as w-e-ll as the pre-vi-ous e.g.. When you are looking ahead at the next word and internally planning ahead you should get into a flow and when looking for it you should see the words break up in your mind. So bigger words become smaller easier to type 'words' (not really words, hence the term I use is combo). In other words, essentially you are trying to form a 'database' in your own mind of the building blocks of words whereby you can imagine them in your head when you read the text and type it real quickly. Because typing smaller combinations of words is much faster than typing big words all-in-one. Hope that makes sense. Also I found that trying not to make mis-ta-kes also helped a lot when thinking about this and what and where my fingers were doing.

Hope all that makes sense. LOL.

Last edited by Culinia (10-Oct-2011 00:09:15)

That's interesting, and a good wpm!  Can you sustain those speeds?  What's your keyboard - anything special?

My speed is all over the place, sometimes I level around 60wpm.  On the odd occasion I jump to around 90wpm.  It can even change quite dramatically during the day.  Yesterday - I could barely strike the keys in the morning, but by the evening I was in good flow.

I have just bought an old school mechanical keyboard.  At first I didn't like it, and was quite depressed that I couldn't get the same speed as my laptop keyboard or even my cheap rubber dome.

It has forced me into a slightly different fingering style, and I have a feeling this is changing the way I am keying - hopefully in a good way. 

I'm kind of averaging around the 60s,  I quite fancy beating the 80s - just because when I do attain that speed it strangely feels more natural - a feeling that's quite hard to explain.

When you are in a good flow - it's nice.  Making a simple mistake throws your rhythm all too easily.  Even some punctuation or the numbers can knock me.  And it can be hard to recover.  This makes me wonder if it's ever possible to sustain a fast wpm.

I guess my question is, did at any point you notice that your keying style had changed significantly - and did that suddenly afford you better speeds?  Oh, and has it changed your life for the better!?

Last edited by pinkyache (18-Oct-2011 12:22:27)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

• Index
  • General
  • Should I learn this? Some of my thoughts...Some advise please.