• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Tired of national layouts! I want to simplify and improve.

Tired of national layouts! I want to simplify and improve.

• Started by DreymaR
    • 15 Replies:

My Norwegian keyboard feels more and more annoying. To accommodate the three Norwegian special characters and the extra accent key, they took the [ ] ; / keys away but added the VK_102 key. AltGr takes care of the missing symbols and more. Okay, I could live with that. But then they went bananas and moved a lot of other stuff around and some of it doesn't make sense to me.

An interesting observation is that due to the English keyboard's dominance the odd symbols on it are getting more use every day, for things like programming and hotkeys. One example is the @ which used to be obscure but is a very common symbol in these emailing days (my keyboard has that one on AltGr). The caret, tilde and other accents are somewhat hidden-away dead keys on my keyboard so they may not work with applications that use them as hotkeys; and Vim's use of Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] leaves me similarly shafted. My Vim help sheet is a mess to use as well, since many of the keys are moved around.

So I think I'll want to make my keyboard conform to the US English symbol placements. I'll still sacrifice the [] keys for the Norwegian characters but I'll work around it. I wish I had a keyboard with at least 3 more keys on it instead; the right Shift key and the Backspace key are so long and the Space should've been at least 2 keys shorter too - but that's hard to remedy so I'll need a solution for a common 102-key board. I really don't see why all the national layouts should be such a mess when they mostly only need to add in a character or two plus some rare stuff on AltGr mappings.

Due to the hotkey and programming problematics, I'll try to make all the accents into AltGr dead keys. The plain key (such as shift-6) would give the accent straight away, and the AltGr key would give the dead key for the same accent. Similar to how the US International layout solves the ' and " key, but the other way around.

What's the deal with the UK English layout? It seems to change too much as well. The pound sign isn't used so much that it couldn't have been added as an AltGr mapping (ideally it should've been added on the NumPad!) and the rest seems just plain silly. EBCDIC characters?! Also AltGr material. And why switch the @ and " characters around? That's intrigueing; I've seen it on Mac boards too. Any point to it?

Once I have a layout that's essentially the English one with just a few keys changed for my national needs, it'll be a lot easier to make applications and other goodies that cater to both my own and the generic US English layout.

Another thing I'm very puzzled about though is the ; key. Shouldn't it really be a colon instead, with the semicolon on shift? Sure, C programmers may tell me they really love the semicolon but they can stuff it. It's a really puzzling placement. For one, if I enter time points I really want the colon easily accessible. And it's just so much much more common in general too.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by DreymaR (17-Aug-2008 18:26:46)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I wouldn't move @ to a better position, unless I typed about a hundred emails a day. One @ per email isn't that much. Besides, on my email, I can type in just the first letter or two and it looks at my contacts and figures out who I want to email. So I never really type @ unless it's a new email address, which I don't do often.

One thing that could be done on the American keyboard is to switch - = and [ ]. Colemak says that leaving [ ] in place is a benefit over Dvorak, which is kind of true because it makes it easier to remember, but it's not as good ergonomically speaking. It makes a pretty big difference.

The colon and semicolon should be switched, yes. In my letter frequency data (I use a good amount of semicolons, and had some C code) colon is about twice as common as colon. I was going to switch them, but then I didn't because I decided it would be too confusing. I have ! on an unshifted key, and a lot of time when I hit it, I accidentally hit shift. Moving between shifted and unshifted is very confusing, and I'm sure a swap like that would be even worse.

I don't think I have an AltGr key. :( I have the option key, which pulls up weird keys that I never use.

Switching accent and tilde would be good for the international market. A lot of languages that aren't English use accents, and (for me) accent requires the option modifier key.

Also I think swapping <> and () would be good. () is WAAAAAY more common, and is all the way on the top row.

I have my '-' key lowered down one, but Apple Keyboards use whatever key is in the QWERTY '=' position for the + and = on the numpad, so that one's not moved. I also have '?' and '/' swapped, so that '?' is unshifted (like ',' and '.' are).

I like that () <> swap idea, except for the fact that I do a fair amount of HTML.

SpeedMorph: The AltGr key (or on US keyboards, LCtrl+RAlt) is the Windows equivalent of the Mac Option key (and *nix Meta?). It isn't used on the plain US layout but on the US International and all other layouts I know of. No mystery there.

Sounds like I may want to try that colon-semicolon switch. It'll be really easy to change back for users who don't want it. I've tried to map a colon character to a NumPad decimal dot shift state, but that didn't work in the applications I tried: I think Windows' locale settings override that key or something, since they need to control decimal dot versus decimal comma settings.

I'm not so hot on the () vs. <> switch. I don't think the reach to those particular top row positions are so bad; about the same effort as the reach down to the bottom row <> positions actually. So if there's a benefit to the switch it'll be pretty marginal as I see it and therefore not worth sacrificing a lot of consistency for.

While getting - and = to more central locations may be sensible for a US user, most other layouts cannot afford it as they'll need those locations for national "weird keys that you never use" such as my æøåÆØÅ.  ;)

You don't want to see Azerty (used in Belgium and France)...  It's absolutely horrible, it moves almost every key (wrt. Qwerty) that Colemak left in place; Q, W, A, Z, M, and all punctuation, special characters and numbers.

Before moving to Colemak, I've always used Qwerty instead (as most IT people in Belgium do) and I'm still confused and amazed every time I face an Azerty keyboard - can you imagine Q on the home row?? :-)

Last edited by ghen (18-Aug-2008 22:31:36)

The () <> switch is more prominent on the Dvorak keyboard, which I was using when I thought of it.

Yeah, why the frick is Q on the home row?

"What's the deal with the UK English layout? It seems to change too much as well. The pound sign isn't used so much that it couldn't have been added as an AltGr mapping (ideally it should've been added on the NumPad!) and the rest seems just plain silly. EBCDIC characters?! Also AltGr material. And why switch the @ and " characters around? That's intrigueing; I've seen it on Mac boards too. Any point to it?"

Quite agree DreymaR. Since using portable Colemak, I have been wondering why on earth @ and " are swapped (even though I never gave it any though using qwerty). The only problem for me has been the pound sterling symbol. That is now remapped to alt gr + 3. Problem solved.

Keyboards are an oddity alright.

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." - Earl of Chesterfield

Polish, polish, polish...

http://folk.uio.no/obech/Files/Keyboard … olemak.zip

That's how I did it. I guess you've tweaked a lot more but I'm not sure what's necessary.

Right - I'm close to completion. I use the []| keys for åæø (in that sequence) as a Dane would; a Swede would have åöä and other nations with special needs would use them for other things (like ç, ñ - things that sit okay on dead keys for non-natives but not for the people who need them often).

My end solution was to put æøå on AltGr keys and keep the  []| on top. This is because I use English so much. If I were to write mostly Norwegian I'd switch to a cloned layout with only the æøå on top and []| on AltGr keys changed. This way layout maintenance is kept to an absolute minimum and compliance with the US majority is ensured.

I also worked away the accent key by putting accents onto dead keys like in the US International layout, which means that the extra VK_102 key is now pretty free! I'm thinking that it should be a "user customizable" key - there are many ways of scripting and/or remapping sundry usefulness onto it. My take will be to use it as an extra modifier key I think, since I'm becoming a fan of multimodal or "transposable" keyboarding.

[edit: Since then I've taken to using the VK_102 key for 'ø' since that's the most common of the national letters. The 'å' and 'æ' are still on AltGr+[] where they seem okay.]

Last edited by DreymaR (25-May-2009 12:43:27)

I use two different layouts for English and Swedish. Initially I used SG_CAPS to change quickly between them but I decided against it. Changing between them is alt+shift+number as per usual. This is more convenient than AltGr switching since they together are about as common as "r" is in English.

My Swedish layout is exactly identical to the English one, except ;[' that are öåä.

I decided that the (semi)colon and apostrophe are more important to me than ø and æ so I'm demoting the latter. The only downside I can see to that is that I'm moving the æ one key to the right which isn't overly compliant of me but shouldn't matter much. One upside is that the main part of the board is now exactly like the standard Colemak and the national characters (which are rare anyway) are out of the way but still as accessible as they deserve to be. I don't want the ø on the (semi)colon key because it's now a deadkey for diaeresis with AltGr.

I don't think it's about how common the three characters together are, but how uncommon each of them individually is - the nail in the coffin is considering that I type maybe 10% Norwegian during the day and the rest English (including programming which utilizes the square and curly brackets). It's probably even less than 10%, actually.

If I thought I'd need it, I'd use two layouts just like you. My SGCaps set is otherwise busy anyway (Ι καν ωριτε Γρεεκ ωιζ ιτ!). For now, I'll try doing without the extra layout.

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Sep-2008 12:36:27)

I now use the VK_102 key for the 'ø'. If you need that letter, you'll likely have a keyboard with the extra key on it; it'll also be available on a dead key combination for those with US keyboards who rarely need to write it.

I read on Wikipedia that the letter 'ø' may come from Anglo-Saxon where it denoted a [ō]. I wish we'd change into writing 'āō' in all the Nordic/Germanic countries instead of all the silly 'æøäö' nonsense of today. Some Swedish and German people (such as cartoonists) use these 'lazy umlauts' already, and in handwriting the 'ø' is written by many as a sort of mean thing between 'ó' and 'ō' so to me that'd make a lot of sense. But I'm dreaming...  ;)

I started out with the semicolon and colon switched, but came to the conclusion that it simply isn't worth the confusion and effort. It's so nice to be in full compliance with the US Colemak (unless we're talking about AltGr mappings which are more 'work-in-progress' anyway). Also makes C coding nice, heh.

Having even a simple little change from the normal symbol setup makes for a lot of confusion and trouble. So many programs and web apps seems to assume that everyone worth mentioning have a US setup. Letter remapping works fine for the most part, but symbols give you a hard time. One reason for that is that many symbol keys send 'VK_#' virtual key codes, and messing with them causes trouble. Flash apps aren't always cool with remapped symbol keys either. There's also the matter of keyboard shortcuts and help sheets for them, and the fact that learning those symbol remappings seems extra confusing. Compared to all the trouble, the minute benefits one might wringe out of such remappings seem too small to me.

Last edited by DreymaR (04-May-2009 16:23:36)

If you're going to swap a key thingy, swap ? and /.

Some say that you should swap ;: ... some /? ... some =+ ... some -[ =] ... I now think that absolutely none of those are worth it! It causes so much more trouble than it could possibly alleviate, and I refuse to believe that it could noticeably affect my typing speed or comfort. As I've started using the symbols more (coding and suchlike) this becomes doubly true, which illustrates my point somewhat: The symbols that are relatively easily reachable will be used for several purposes as hotkeys and coding symbols, which makes them useful to have where they're expected to be.

And I fully agree with SpeedMorph up there: Switching a key symbol with its shifted 'sibling' is confusing and should not be attempted.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-May-2009 12:49:23)

• IBI

I think the semi-colon and colon are the way round that they are because of you generally want to use a semi-colon mid-sentence; to add more data. The colon on the other hand is often used for starting lists, so it makes sense (or made sense) to have the semi colon as the unshifted one.

simonh said:

Quite agree DreymaR. Since using portable Colemak, I have been wondering why on earth @ and " are swapped (even though I never gave it any though using qwerty). The only problem for me has been the pound sterling symbol. That is now remapped to alt gr + 3. Problem solved.

Personally, I've wondered why @ and " are the way they are on british keyboards too (and swapped them, despite being British). Couldn't really care about the £ pound symbol as long as it's somewhere, and # is easier to use where it is on a British keyboard (which is wierd considering it's got no literary use in English − wierd from a historical perspective).

IBI said:

I think the semi-colon and colon are the way round that they are because of you generally want to use a semi-colon mid-sentence; to add more data. The colon on the other hand is often used for starting lists, so it makes sense (or made sense) to have the semi colon as the unshifted one.

True; too many people seem to have forgotten what semi-colons are for; they can actually be quite useful. Not that there's much point pondering that now.

Some say that you should swap ;: ... some /? ... some =+ ... some -[ =] ... I now think that absolutely none of those are worth it! It causes so much more trouble than it could possibly alleviate, and I refuse to believe that it could noticeably affect my typing speed or comfort. As I've started using the symbols more (coding and suchlike) this becomes doubly true, which illustrates my point somewhat: The symbols that are relatively easily reachable will be used for several purposes as hotkeys and coding symbols, which makes them useful to have where they're expected to be.

I agree: firstly because of horrible experiences using Swiss/German keyboards (most symbols are remapped), secondly because I find having symbols on a third-level map (AltGr+XXX) much more effective than I imagine swapping a few of those keys around could be.

Last edited by Cyborg16 (19-Jun-2009 16:21:55)
      • Index
      • General
      • Tired of national layouts! I want to simplify and improve.