• You are not logged in.

Remove "Caps Lock unchanged" please!

• Started by clazz
    • 7 Replies:

I had Colemak 1.0 on my old XP x86 computer. It was great. It said "Colemak" on the language bar. Then I got Win7 x64 and the installer didn't work.

cOika.png

So I downloaded Colemak 1.1 on the web site. Now the layout says "Colemak (Caps Lock unchanged)" and it looks really stupid because I like caps lock = backspace! I use different keyboard layouts so I would like the layout to read "Colemak" instead of this long ugly wording. Obviously using the registry fix won't change this cosmetic no-no. It seems Shai made "Caps Lock unchanged" because there were a bunch of whiners on the forum who didn't like caps lock removed. Bullshit.

I want either the 1.0 installer to work in Win7 x64, or a version 1.2 that changes caps lock. Or if anyone could tell me how to fix this manually, that'd be great too.

Thanks!

Last edited by clazz (04-May-2012 22:05:24)

NM I fixed this myself by downloading MKLC and recreating the installer. I can see why caps lock is unchanged... MKLC doesn't let you change it.

Sorry, I was going to answer you but I forgot. Yeah, you can't remap CapsLock through the graphic interface. But there was a discussion about that in the forum and it might be possible by editing the file itself.

Anyway, I'm glad you sorted it out.

I am also a bit annoyed since I prefer Capslock -> Backspace. I remember I had to use registry mapping to set Capslock to Backspace.

Two versions of Colemak installers, 1) keep Capslock 2)changed Capslock to Backspace,  would be better.

You're making the wrong assumptions I think. That install came by because it was technically complex to make an installer with the CapsLock functionality (as you found out yourself it seems - and yet kept the rant in the original post...).

Besides, in my opinion it's better to keep it a separate function anyway (or do as I do and use PKL). Then people can choose modularly and freedom of choice is good.

Last edited by DreymaR (07-May-2012 14:28:14)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I found a link that offers an installer for a capslock-and-backspace-switched layout: http://www.mediafire.com/?gg3u3o0erpcka Installing that should be just as easy as installing from the colemak.com installer, and you do not have to do any silly registry mods.

Thanks for the link, I also would really like to change my CAPS lock to backspace!

I tried the download at this site, and it worked however now when I use caps lock key it acts BOTH as a caps lock and as a backspace which causes obvious problems. Has anyone found a solution to this CAPS lock problem without registry mapping or double CAPS lock key problem? Am I using the download incorrectly?

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by jrobbins59 (25-Aug-2012 18:36:16)
    jrobbins59 said:

Thanks for the link, I also would really like to change my CAPS lock to backspace!

I tried the download at this site, and it worked however now when I use caps lock key it acts BOTH as a caps lock and as a backspace which causes obvious problems. Has anyone found a solution to this CAPS lock problem without registry mapping or double CAPS lock key problem? Am I using the download incorrectly?

Cheers,
    Josh

If you use the link I gave in my previous posts, you shouldn't have any problems. It works nearly identically to the installer on the Colemak.com site except caps lock and backspace are switched. If you have any problems with it, it may be because of remnants from previous colemak remappings/installations. I used the installer on a completely new installation of Windows 7, and I've had no issues whatsoever.