• You are not logged in.

Fully Switched to Colemak 50WPM

• Started by Voxarp
    • 2 Replies:

I'm 21, I use the computer all day every day. Earlier this year I switched to Colemak from QWERTY cold-turkey. I used a typing tutor program briefly and used it to learn only the home row, the rest of the letters were learned from forcing myself to use it. It was difficult to type with at first, which goes without saying, but after a month or so I had adjusted to the point where I didn't even have to think about it. Now I can type at 50WPM no problem (http://hi-games.net/typing-test/) and I feel better off for it. My previous QWERTY speeds were faster, around 60-70. I'm using a Deck 82 Toxic mechanical keyboard (Cherry MX1A-11NW, black), best keyboard I've ever owned.

I also set up capslock as backspace but I almost never use it. I feel I would if the normal backspace was disabled or changed to another key (capslock, maybe?).

What I found very interesting, is even though I exclusively use Colemak on my PC and I am no longer able to type in QWERTY (I haven't made any effort to relearn QWERTY so I can't switch back and forth), I can still type exactly the same on the QWERTY keyboard on my phone. It's like typing on my phone and on a keyboard is entirely separate in my brain. I have tried using a Colemak keyboard layout on my phone but I felt like it was unnecessary since there's really no need for better letter positioning when you're just typing with your two thumbs, and relearning the layout would be too much trouble.

Also as a gamer, I found some quirks when using colemak. Rebinding your keys for each game can be an annoyance, but there are certain games that will automatically set all QWERTY keys to their Colemak equivalents automatically, no keybinding needed! On the flip side some games don't have rebindable keys, this is a big problem if you want to dump QWERTY entirely.

Overall I'm sticking with Colemak for sure, I'll never go back!

In a while, your Colemak speed will match or surpass your old QWERTY speed, don't worry about that. Also, in a while it'll be easy to switch back and forth should the need arise; right now your mind has been preoccupied with learning the new layout which keeps it quite busy but as that settles you'll be more relaxed and things will flow naturally.

I can't blind-type in QWERTY anymore though, so my old QWERTY speed isn't attainable anymore. Who cares, heh. ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Another success story. Using Colemak along with a mechanical keyboard is doubly ergonomic indeed.

You are quite young and 50wpm after a month is incredibly fast. For your speed, I think you will soon surpass your Qwerty speed in another two months or so.

Last edited by Tony_VN (03-Sep-2012 17:24:01)