• You are not logged in.

Change Backspace to Capslock?

• Started by Voxarp
    • 6 Replies:

I have my physical capslock set to functional backspace, but due to habit I keep on using the physical backspace instead. So I want to change my physical backspace key into a functional capslock key.

How might this be done?

I'm using Windows, how might I do it through the registry?

You can just google it and you'll see, but might I suggest you a simple program that can do that for you? It's called KeyTweak, and remaps keys.

Btw, I would advice you to map CapsLock to the right Backspace only temporary, till you get used to the left location. After a while, try putting it back, so you've got two keys for Backspace. It won't take long time to lean to use both, depending on which side of the keyboard you're typing next (very much like the Shift keys). It's very useful for me, I wouldn't give up on either Backspace.

Last edited by pafkata90 (06-Sep-2012 08:50:08)

I use Portable Keyboard Layout for anything like that, because then it's simple to carry with you if you're using many different computers. (Of course, I don't do anything as crude as Caps-to-Backspace when I can use it for Extend instead, hehe!)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

if you do not want to map it through the registry you can use this simple autohotkey script under windows

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
    SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

$CapsLock::Backspace
    $Backspace::Capslock
    Last edited by nimbostratue (06-Sep-2012 12:01:00)

I used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MKLC) to manually map the keys. I edited the script which ends in .klc (in my case it was Colemak.klc) with Notepad to swipe CapsLock with BackSpace with each other, and then compiled the executable file (Colemak.msi) and installed a fully functional version of Colemak, with BackSpace in place of physical CapsLock, and CapsLock in place of physical BackSpace. For me, it's working like charm.
    Besides, you can use MKLC tool to map any key and test it in real-time, in a graphical interface. Unfortunately, that's only for Microsoft Windows OS.

An easier alternative is to use Colemak Portable Keyboard Layout (PKL) and edit the script Layout.ini to manually swipe between BackSpace and CapsLock.