• You are not logged in.

Colemak and Microsoft IME

• Started by Reacon
    • 2 Replies:

Hello,

I switched to Colemak some months back (approx. the date of my forum signup here) and so far have surpassed my old fast-peck style typing speed on qwerty by a small margin, but it has remained stagnant for months. However, the layout does decrease the amount of stress by a larger margin, and therefore discontent is not the reason I seek your help today.

The root of the problem I present to you is somewhat of my own doing, and a combination of many different mistakes and circumstances.

- I use a Das Keyboard Silent with blank keycaps, so I cannot easily glance down to revert to qwerty without a lot of thinking.
    - Microsoft IME for typing in Japanese characters reverts my layout to qwerty.
    - My DAW supports using the top row of my keyboard as a makeshift MIDI keyboard when I'm too lazy to turn around, and cannot be rebound.

The overlying problem can be solved by using the registry hack, but producing music will be a magnitude harder without the easy keyboard, and I'm not sure how older games like HL1 will react (GoldSrc games won't accept my R key as backwards). I'm aware that I'm doing things the hard way, but I would like to avoid losing qwerty in case a need arises.

Thanks,
    -Reacon

Last edited by Reacon (07-Sep-2012 03:59:07)

Maybe PKL (Portable Keyboard Layout) can solve many of your problems. With it you can do advanced remappings, virtualkey remappings, and changing layout on the fly is easy (I use Ctrl+Shift+2 but you can set any hotkey you like).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks, that seems to have worked.