• You are not logged in.

Layout image with all Colemak typable characters

• Started by rajagra
    • 10 Replies:

I haven't seen a keyboard image incorporating the international characters and special characters (available on Colemak on the PC). While I am fluent and comfortable with Colemak, I sometimes have to refer to the listing of international characters for those obscure but sometimes useful symbols. So I thought I'd make myself an image.
    I think I see why it hasn't been done before, it's hard to keep it meaningful with all that info shown at once.
    Anyway, now I've done it, I may as well share it. Hopefully there aren't too many mistakes!

It isn't quite clear enough to be a reference, but should be good as an aide-memoire once you've read the details on the international layout page.

KeyboardTemplateColemakCrop.jpg

If anyone is foolish enough to want to modify the image, I've put the full Photoshop file at http://www.g-ray.co.uk/Colemak/Keyboard … akCrop.psd (Warning - 6MB file!)

Rajagra! Lots of work there, kudos. And you managed to squeeze in the extra dead key mappings too!

Of course, I'm not happy with those AltGr mappings meself. Too bad, I know. ;) I want to do something more colemakish: Keep the mappings from existing layouts that are fairly universal and make a lot of sense, and change what needs to be changed. I'm reworking my "edition DreymaR" right now so I won't post it until it feels more solid again.

You should lose the extra asciitilde character on the S key (and on Slash?). That's just mapped there because Shai prefers it to getting nothing when you mistype something.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

rajagra said:

I haven't seen a keyboard image incorporating the international characters and special characters (available on Colemak on the PC). While I am fluent and comfortable with Colemak, I sometimes have to refer to the listing of international characters for those obscure but sometimes useful symbols. So I thought I'd make myself an image.
    I think I see why it hasn't been done before, it's hard to keep it meaningful with all that info shown at once.
    Anyway, now I've done it, I may as well share it. Hopefully there aren't too many mistakes!

It isn't quite clear enough to be a reference, but should be good as an aide-memoire once you've read the details on the international layout page.

http://www.g-ray.co.uk/Colemak/Keyboard … akCrop.jpg

Very convenient; thanks. 

I'm curious why RAlt-\ isn't required to work on non-Windows as AltGr-\ (or Ctrl-RAlt-\) does on Windows.  In all other respects, Colemak seems to treat a non-Win RAlt the same as a Win AltGr.

See, on Windows we've figured out how to define our own content for dead keys (using MS Keyboard Layout Creator) but on Mac and Unix that hasn't been implemented for the Colemak installs at least. Therefore, the normal dead keys should be there as expected but the special Colemak dead key isn't. Is that what you meant?

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Feb-2012 12:41:29)

I’ve drawn a yet another picture:

Colemak layout chart

Last edited by JanK (31-Dec-2012 16:15:35)

@JanK How do you activate the light-blue characters?

(Sorryif this is a stupid question)

That's on the standard installs. If you get any of my files you'll get a different setup for AltGr called Colemak[eD]; choose which one you prefer, obviously. (Also, I use PKL for Windows and not an installer.)

DreymaR said:

See, on Windows we've figured out how to define our own content for dead keys (using MS Keyboard Layout Creator) but on Mac and Unix that hasn't been implemented .....

May it can be implemented using xcape ?

It's actually possible to do in X11, but I haven't figured it out. It's arcane.

DreymaR said:

It's actually possible to do in X11, but I haven't figured it out. It's arcane.

Indeed. I usually start with some xkb/symbols file that I don't use, tweak that and see what happens. The only risk is crashing your X server and needing chroot to repair the faulty file ..... :(

Dead key definitions are not in symbols. They aren't even in xkb, but next to it in the locale folder. And there there's a plethora of possibilities. Also, getting your changes to stick can be sticky vs different interfaces.