• You are not logged in.

Windows RT

• Started by mesonofgib
    • 4 Replies:

Hey all,

Microsoft's Surface tablet has been released... and I really like the look of the thing. I'm considering getting one, but I've just had a nasty thought. If Windows RT doesn't allow you to install any programs other than Metro apps (which are entirely sandboxed) does that mean that it's not possible to install custom keyboard layouts?

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can install Colemak on a Windows RT device? If you can't that's a complete dealbreaker for me. I've been using Colemak for about 5 years now and I can't type on QWERTY any more, I just can't.

• Shai
    • Administrator

As far as I can see there are two issues which have no solution at present:
    * There's no way to generate keyboard layout files for Windows RT (MSKLC doesn't support it).
    * Because the OS is locked down, someone would need to publish it to the Windows Store before it would be installable. So much for "Life without walls".

Can anyone that comes here please upvote the question at Microsoft support forums in hopes of getting an answer?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … 88dfb0d432

I tried, but I didn't want to make a community logon so I couldn't. Sorry.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I installed the registry hack and it works pretty well: USB keyboards, including the Touch Cover, get remapped to Colemak. The on-screen touch keyboards remain unaffected. It's a stopgap until full support comes around, but at least I can touch type on a physical keyboard again.