• You are not logged in.

Experience learning Colemak with TypeMatrix

• Started by cgo
    • 1 Replies:
    • cgo

Hi,
    I thought I'd share my experience, now that I am using Colemak for about 7 months with a TypeMatrix keyboard.
    I didn't have any pains using qwerty, and I could type reasonably fast. I was merely curious.
    At first, I used a normal (now: "retarded") keyboard with Colemak.
    I first started to do the lessons linked to from colemak.com for a few evenings, then using ktouch on Linux,
    and finally gnu typist (at least I think that's the name of the program).
    At first, I was going very, very slowly. I was trying to use colemak for typing my normal texts and program code, as I am a software developer.
    My progress wasn't very fast until I started using colemak all day, accepting the fact that I would be much slower in the beginning.
    I improved  a lot within something like 2 weeks.
    Then I got a TypeMatrix keyboard and started using Colemak on that straight away.
    The transition was again a bump in the improvement, but I got more comfortable every day.
    In the beginning, I sometimes felt some pain in the left hand from typing, but that faded after I got more used to the new layout.

I found that I move my hands about much less than with qwerty, and that I can leave them resting on my wrist-rest most of the time.
    In combination with the TypeMatrix keyboard (that thing is really a blessing!), for me the Colemak layout is very comfortable.

But be warned, at least in my case the transition time was hard, even though not as hard as I had expected in the beginning.

Cheers,
    Christian

EDIT: Thank you for making Colemak! It's neat!

Last edited by cgo (19-Nov-2012 11:05:46)

Welcome, and may Colemak bring you much typing joy! :)

If you wanted a smoother transition, you could've tried a Tarmak transitional layout first. But going all the way may be effective albeit hard.

Last edited by DreymaR (19-Nov-2012 11:11:45)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***