• You are not logged in.

Anyone else get left pinky pain?

• Started by nil
    • 7 Replies:

I'm a pretty new Colemak user, and I'm at ~55-60 WPM after a week of practice. I'm using the full layout (with Backspace on homerow), and I'm starting to feel discomfort on my left pinky as a result of its excessive use (as Backspace, Shift, Q/A/Z/...). I feel fine when I use the original Backspace key instead, but I really dislike having to reach so far. I also normally touch type in QWERTY and haven't felt any discomfort before, so it's most likely the Backspace-on-left-pinky that's the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this generally something that the fingers just have to adapt to, or is it just too much for one finger?

Last edited by nil (15-Nov-2012 07:55:53)

Colemak (start 11.5.12): ~80 WPM.
    QWERTY: ~90 WPM.

I haven't heard it often but there have been reports. Finger strength varies between users; some of us even play the piano! :)

I'm happy with the Wide mods for a number of reasons, one being proximity to the right-hand Backspace and Enter keys. Together with a little symbol key load taken off the right pinky I think it creates a much friendlier keyboard environment.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

How my right pinky suffered when I first started out with Dvorak!  My pinky had never had to really do anything before that,  so it struggled.

Double burden to begin with, as you'll be correcting more errors most likely - putting more pressure on it.  You might be able to find a tutor that doesn't make you go back and correct errors, to give you a brief respite.

I know it was a real issue for me, it's what caused me to eek out this forum in the first place.

Last edited by pinkyache (15-Nov-2012 08:52:18)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Please wait for 2 weeks then report again. The right pinky in Colemak type a lot more than the left.

QAZ and Shift in Colemak are the same as Qwerty, so there is no difference between Colemak and Qwerty in that aspect.

Last edited by Tony_VN (15-Nov-2012 09:01:57)

Also Q and Z are quite rarely used so your pinkie's used to just stay in place and press A. For Shift and Ctrl you usually move your whole palm (I assume?). Now you introduce the stretching for Backspace which is new for your pinkie. It should get better as it gets stronger and gets used to the lateral stretching.

If you're up for it you could do like me – use both backspaces depending on the preceding/following letters. In some cases it's more comfortable to use the original position of BS than the new one. But that's personal preference and if it makes you more confused (since you already learn the layout itself) then maybe you can wait till you're comfortable with all keys' position and don't have to think which is where.

As recommended, I'll continue using Backspace on Capslock for a week or so, and see what happens then. I don't think it's necessarily any problem with the layout itself (I've kept using the Backspace on Capslock for QWERTY, and have started to notice some left-pinky discomfort as well).

This may also be unique to a much smaller subset of typists, as I only use the left Shift key, having adapted so (I find adapting to keys like "LShift+a" easier than reaching for the further-away RShift). So my left pinky is taking a much more concentrated load than others, e.g., the right pinky.

In case anyone was curious on an update, I've since adapted and have gotten use to the extra stress on the left pinky. This is probably due to a combination of having gotten used to Colemak (and hence using Backspace less) and the pinky just getting stronger.

I've also moved the Bacspace key to the Tab position, and have put Control/Escape  on Capslock instead (I'm a vim guy, though I also like the closer proximity of Ctrl for browser shortcuts). I then moved the Tab key to Esc position.

Glad to hear it's getting better. And I approve of moving the Backspace up, make it harder to hit and use it less ;)