• You are not logged in.

Ubuntu map Caps Lock to Control

• Started by lhr777
    • 2 Replies:

Hi all,

I am trying Colemak and I'm having some issues with my keyboard layout set up.

I want to use Colemak with Colemak's Backspace (QWERTY caps lock) mapped to Left Control but also want to be able to switch back and forth to QWERTY using the keyboard indicator icon in the indicator panel.

I currently use the following xmodmap settings file:

!
    ! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
    !
    remove Lock = Caps_Lock
    remove Control = Control_L
    keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
    keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
    add Lock = Caps_Lock
    add Control = Control_L

When I switch to Colemak, the Caps Lock character isn't mapped to Backspace and doesn't do anything (if I don't run xmodmap with that setting, Caps Lock is mapped to Backspace but I can't hold it down to delete characters and the Caps Lock light still goes on and off on each keypress).

How can I use an Xmodmap settings file to keep Caps Lock as Control_L regardless of what kbd layout I am in? (if this is even possible)

Thanks for your help.

LHR777

I think I've solved this by abandoning Xmodmap and using the standard Ubuntu keyboard settings from the indicator.

Anyway, this has been my first forum post using Colemak. Feels really odd moving away from home row so infrequently!

Welcome! On Ubuntu, I recommend using the settings panels if you're comfy with that. Fortunately, it provides a lot of CapsLock key options out of the box no matter what layout you're using so even non-Colemak users can benefit from them! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***