• You are not logged in.

Shortcuts with Mac Word

• Started by bjrubble
    • 2 Replies:

Leave it to Microsoft...

The command keys in Word 2004 for Mac seem to read as qwerty.  Command-F, for example, gets read as Command-E.  This only happens with Word + Colemak; all other programs read Colemak command keys just fine, and Word reads Dvorak keys just fine.

I'm picturing the whole set of preinstalled Mac layouts coded somewhere in Word, and handled through its own input system completely bypassing the Mac OS.  That strikes me as about par for the course for Microsoft.  Still, if anyone knows a way around this, I'd love to hear it.

bjrubble said:

I'm picturing the whole set of preinstalled Mac layouts coded somewhere in Word, and handled through its own input system completely bypassing the Mac OS.  That strikes me as about par for the course for Microsoft.  Still, if anyone knows a way around this, I'd love to hear it.

From the way Japanese IMEs are handled in Word (and other Office apps) in Windows, I'd be willing to wager that this is the case.

Unfortunately, no solution.

# Along the same lines, password entry windows brought up by the Finder stubbornly stick to QWERTY! Or, even worse, use Dvorak... despite setting Colemak+Japanese IME as the only keyboard layouts in System Preferences. Rather... inconvenient.

The only way to get badly programmed apps like that to behave that I know of, would be to rewire a board. One guy I know of is working on a solution to plug between the board and the computer that translates the scan codes. Maybe he'll make it work both for PS/2 and USB, and maybe someone will someday put together a Colemak version of it. But the chances are bleak unless you're electronically gifted.  :(

Sometimes on Windows, you can get "under" the level that the offending app uses with the Registry Remapping method. This can be done on a Mac too, but I don't know of anyone who's actually done that. You'd have to do some tricky coding I think.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-May-2007 09:14:21)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***