• You are not logged in.

Colemak experience – Short update

• Started by overscore
    • 3 Replies:

Hi!

I have made the switch to the Colemak layout on a whim a few years ago, I think it was three already. The wierd thing is that I don't notice myself using Colemak at all, and it never crosses my mind that people use another keyboard layout altogether, so it is always a bit funny when someone attemps to type something on my laptop!

Using Colemak is great, I never have to install anything, as my desktop is an Arch Linux installation and my Laptop is running Mountain Lion. Both OSes have included Colemak since forever.

My reason for learning the layout was to learn touch typing at the same time, and it worked very well. In fact, I can only touch type; if you ask me where a particular key is on the keyboard I will have to stop and think about it for a while before knowing for sure. My fingers have learned the layout as a "relative" system, keys are located near the home row position and that is how I can type. With QWERTY I was a hunt-and-peck-er.

My accuracy is not all that great, but I think a mechanical keyboard would go a long way toward solving that.

take care

Sweet story.

I don't think a mech keyboard will help your accuracy all that much. Oh, I love them but I'm not sure they help accuracy substantially. Training accuracy does that, and my preferred way is just to type a lot really. ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Type a lot, yeah, but try to do it accurate as well. That's all there is to it. Having fun and not getting bored helps as well (as with anything else, really).

I personally get annoyed having to explain every time why I'm using a different layout – since I'm in uni and sometimes people need to google something on my laptop. I admit, sometimes I just say "oh, it's another language", just cause I don't get asked all the same questions :D

Last edited by pafkata90 (09-Dec-2012 02:05:00)

Haha, nice pafkata!  I bet it can be tiresome explaining layouts each time someone types and is bewildered when they see giberish.

For fun while practicing I've been using typeracer but with my current Colemak ability I'm pretty much hopeless at it. :/

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer