• You are not logged in.

7 Weeks with colemak

• Started by Goles
    • 8 Replies:

Hey guys,

I switched to colemak almost 7 weeks ago... my qwerty speed was about 90 WPM.

I'm a software developer, and been really liking Colemak so far... still I think I have become a bit stuck at my current speed.

U02ax.png

You can see how I'm reaching a steady 60+ WPM... hope to progress faster though...

Hi Goles! Usually when you get "stuck" at a speed what really happens is you'll improve slowly unless you address your weak points. How's your accuracy (usually a culprit)? Do you have an effortless flow? If you want to improve faster, try doing some work on different aspects.

It took me a while to surpass my QWERTY speed with Dvorak and my Dvorak speed with Colemak though, so, well, people differ.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

What is your accuracy? You must type with at least 98% accuracy, otherwise backspace is slowing you down. Typing slower with higher accuracy usually means typing faster.

Try typeracer accuracy universe
    http://play.typeracer.com/?universe=accuracy

or you can try typing 1000 most common words and have a decent speed at it, say, 70wpm for now.

Last edited by Tony_VN (27-Dec-2012 09:02:59)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice... I haven't remapped the delete key. This is because I'm a heavy Vim user and for vim, my Caps Lock is my Control key...

This is my accuracy graph

VFZr8.png

It is definitely something you can work on if you want to get out of the plateau. As Tony said, having above 98% accuracy is a good goal. If you type with your current speed but reduce the errors to, say, 2%, you'll notice a speed increase of quite a few wpm.

Here's my progress in the last weeks:

1ZziF.png

I think I'm doing a bit better... worked a lot on left hand exercises...

Hi, Goles.  If you don't mind me asking, how are you making those swanky graphs?  Is this a report from a typing tutor?  Looks neat!

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer

I suppose it is from Amphetype typing tutor. Like mine.

Thanks, Tony!  I've played around with Amphetype a little bit but I didn't know it could do this.  Sweet!

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer