• You are not logged in.

Adapting to keyboard shortcuts?

• Started by sgtkabukiman
    • 4 Replies:

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Colemak and wanted to ask you seasoned users out there about your experience with Colemak and the use of keyboard shortcuts.  This is my biggest concern with Colemak.

To any of you who use media-centric applications such as Fireworks, Photoshop or Pro Tools, do you find that Colemak trips you up or that you need to change the layout back to QWERTY every time you use one of these applications?  Or do you eventually just get used to the new placements?  So far I'm having trouble adjusting even to the standard Mac OS X shortcuts…

I like the experience of typing with Colemak although this concern is giving me doubts about its utility.  I presume many of you have made the switch and are comfortably using Colemak now, so any feedback regarding your experiences with this are greatly appreciated.

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer

I don't personally use the software you mentioned but Colemak keeps almost all the letters on the same side as Qwerty. The only swapped are P and E (P – on the left; E – on the right). Depending on how much you use E for you shortcuts, and if you use default or custom shortcuts, this would be the deal breaker. (That – assuming you mouse with the right hand)

I find having P instead of the E on the left more convenient, since it makes more sense to assign shortcuts with P than E.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

Last edited by pafkata90 (01-Feb-2013 23:57:52)

I don't use the apps you mentioned, but like some others here I use a lot of command-key driven text tools, like mutt, vi, screen, etc which required quite some adaptation as well.  Yes, the first few weeks are confusing and difficult, as those commands are not part of a typing "flow" like the texts you practiced in a typing tutor — it's seems like another muscle memory to re-train.  You will learn them though.  One tip: DON'T switch back to Qwerty in those first weeks, as it will only add to the confusion and slow down your progress.

Last edited by ghen (02-Feb-2013 07:54:31)

Thank you pafkata and ghen for your feedback.

Well, I had decided to throw in the towel on Colemak after around ten days of practice with typing tutors.  I never learned to touch-type with Qwerty, although I had my own style of typing with it that was comfortable enough for my needs.

Now, after trying to go back to my practice with Qwerty I am making all kinds of mistakes.  Astonishingly, even my S's and R's are now mixed up.  So it seems I'm now partially trained in both Qwerty and Colemak and not good in either.  lol

One thing I noticed going back to Qwerty is how much more my fingers have to move to type and how many more words can be typed on the home row of Colemak in comparison.

So I've decided to stick with Colemak and I'll take your advice to heart, ghen -- I'll try my best to exclusively use it for atleast a few weeks to see how things fare.  And you're right, the keyboard shortcuts do feel like a different muscle-memory altogether.

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer

After being fluent in Colemak, it took me about four weeks to be fluent in shortcuts too. It's all muscle memory so you will get used to it after a while.