• You are not logged in.

Resources for Colemak Neophytes

• Started by sgtkabukiman
    • 24 Replies:

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share some resources that I've used (and am currently using) to learn Colemak with anyone new to the layout.

During the first few days I found it helpful to have an image of the layout nearby.  I printed the layout but I found it disorienting to have to glance away from the screen each time I wanted to see where a letter was.  This led me to make my own wallpapers of the Colemak layout:

Colemak wallpaper: 1680 x 1050, center large

Colemak wallpaper: 1680 x 1050, corner small

This was helpful initially, but it didn't take much time to eventually not need it.

Next, I've been using Type Fu and Master Key for typing training.  As I'm on Mac OS X, I haven't found too many options for trainers out there, but of the ones I have found, both Type Fu and Master Key have lessons for Colemak.  I've had my eye on Keys but at present it only supports QWERTY.

Recently I've added Amphetype to this collection and I've been using it to type out eBooks that I've been meaning to read.  I open the eBook PDF, copy all the text to the clipboard, then paste it into a plain text document and clean up the formatting using an app called Clean Text (I'm sure there are other apps out there that can do the same).

Anyway, I hope this helps any newbies such as myself and if you have any resources or tips to share I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by sgtkabukiman (05-Feb-2013 22:42:48)

Find me on:  10FastFingers, TypeRacer

Nice work and tips there!

That fingering hurts the left hand. I know it's the standard, but like the QWERTY standard it's just wrong.

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Feb-2013 09:52:12)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Oh, man!  Go figure, I finally start getting used to the layout and I learn I'm doing it wrong… :|  lol

Thanks for the heads up, DreymaR!  Is there any fingering you would recommend?

Hit at least the "C" with the left pointer :). Z and X are middle ground you can press them with either finger, but they are very uncommon so they should not lead to much pain. The reason is that the pointer finger is usually quite flat on the keyboard and the very long middle finger can't get under it to press the "C". Z and X on the other hand are much easier to hit with the pinky and ring respectively since they are short and can get under the tall middle finger without much trouble. Personally I hit Z and X differently depending on how my hand is stretched/positioned, but always hit the C with the pointer, since in Colemak you never have to use another left pointer letter with conjunction with C.

Congratulations for being brave enough to switch to Colemak and  have a fun time with it!

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

Thanks for your feedback, vaskozl!  What you said makes a lot of sense.  I was definetely struggling with the 'C' key and quite a few of the other bottom row keys.  Incidentally, I received an ergonomic keyboard today and the keys are now all vertically aligned, so I'm finding it quite a bit easier to get at these.  Nevertheless, your comments are certainly appreciated!

And thanks for the encouragement!  I'm enjoying Colemak quite a lot (but dang am I typing slow!! ;)

Hitting C with the index finger introduces some problems when preceding or following T or V. You'd then have to use the middle for C and index for the other, if you want to avoid using the same finger.

I see you're from Canada, and if you use a keyboard with shorter left shift (if there is a key between the left shift and Z), you can instead move the left part of the bottom row one key to the left, so from –ZXCVB , it looks like ZXCVB– . This is what DreymaR meant when he said about the fingering. Check his signature topic and look at the Angle mod. You might even get other ideas there, it's good stuff.

Last edited by pafkata90 (05-Feb-2013 22:57:17)

Yes, like pafkata says I recommend an ergonomic mod that won't change the fingering per se but the important wrist angle. To use it optimally you'll need an ISO keyboard (102/105-key) though. I have an ISO board with US markings but they're very rare and mine's a bit DIY (from Unicomp). On my other keyboard I just ignore the markings but I only use ISO keyboards.

But there's more to it! I recommend using a different fingering for the top row too, based on how you stretch from a comfortable start position. You can just try it out to find what suits you actually, but basically I'll hit the 3 key with my middle finger most of the time because that's more comfortable for instance. The 3 6 and 9 keys are up to you how to type, according to your physiology and preferences.

As my signature says, check out my Big Bag for explanations and further links. Here's a color-coded image though:

Cmk-ISO-eD-Angle_90d-FingerShui.png
       An ISO keyboard with the Angle mod (ZXCVB moved one key to the left to avoid ulnar deviation)

(On a side note, that color coding scheme is inspired by the Feng Shui designations of colors and fingers. Completely on a whimsy, but nice I think.)

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Feb-2013 09:43:37)

I put the layout paper right under the display for two weeks. Oh such difficult days when I had to type in Qwerty as well...

That's awesome, Thanks guys!  I'll be sure to check out the big bag of keyboard tricks.  That angle mod looks interesting.  And sweet color-scheme!

Some time ago, when I started using Dreymar's extended layer (Great stuff), I tried out The ZXCV shifted to the left. Used it for a couple of days, but it just felt like I am relearning Colemak again (which is weird since it was only 4 uncommon keys that were moved to the left). Additionally even though I live in Europe (Sweden) I have to type on some ANSI boards (ones that don't have a key between z and shift) and the switch was really confusing/stressful.

pafkata90 said:

Hitting C with the index finger introduces some problems when preceding or following T or V.

Do you have English in mind? The only words that I found that actually have that problem are:

-Ctenidia
    -Ctenidium
    -Ctenoid
    -Ctenophoran
    -Ctenophorans
    -Ctenophore
    -Ctenophores

(which all have the same root)

and

-Tchotchke

If you are talking about non-English languages then maybe but otherwise there you would practically never have to use the pointer twice.

Yes, I did have English in mind. Now after I checked again, it seems that CV and VC isn't a problem, since it's not common at all. TC is also fairly uncommon but CT (anywhere in the word) is about 0.22% of all bigraphs (together with TC comes up to 0.25%). Which is not that low. The total same finger ratio on your left index finger jumps from 0.55% to 1.02%. The total same finger ratio for the layout goes from 3.95% to 4.18%. That's from about 1mil characters of English text, analysed with Excel. Of course other analysers probably will give you different total number for the same finger ratio, but this is for showing the difference at least.

It might not seem like a big difference but the numbers show that your left index finger's same finger ratio is increasing twice if you use it for C as well. I personally would like that factor as low as possible but if you want to benefit from using the suggested fingering, you could use the middle finger for C in those "CT" situations.

Last edited by pafkata90 (08-Feb-2013 21:48:00)

Ah, pafka good point. The the ct and tc like in "catch" might cause some problems.
    Then, as you said, you could use your middle finger if you like, there is nothing stopping you :).

Sean Wrona claims that his biggest advantage over people is that he doesn't use the same finger to hit one letter ever time (like most touch typing courses do), but rather uses whatever finger is most comfortable.

This is one of those few cases in Colemak where it would be reasonable to  use a fingering different from the standard  (the other major one I can see is the "Kn" digraph). Of course this C problem only exists with staggered board and the OP is using a matrix/ergonomic so he shouldn't have this problem.

I will now try to pay more attention when I hit the "C" key and experiment with the different fingerings to see what the optimal fingering would be :)

This may be off topic but I am interested to here what language you had in mind when you mentioned CV and VC.

I did talk about English, just didn't think it through. I saw the overall same finger ratio difference with the moved fingering and gave it to all CT/TC and CV/VC, without thinking that the latter weren't that common. And btw, KN and NK together are about 0.09% of the bigraphs. Just for comparison.

Last edited by pafkata90 (09-Feb-2013 12:11:02)
    pafkata90 said:

And btw, KN and NK together are about 0.09% of the bigraphs. Just for comparison.

Interesting, I'm not doubting the data, but I'm curious to where you get the statistics from. Moreover, do you look at how common the words that include the combination of letters are?

It is from a link, that is unfortunately not available any more, as I checked. I don't have the full words, only characters and bigraphs (including spaces). You can mail me if you want me to send the data over.

The spreadsheet was original work of BvoFRak from this forum. I modified and changed it to my liking and added some stuff that I needed back when I was designing a Bulgarian layout for myself.

Please do send it! I would be very great full if you do. Furthermore may I have a look at the Bulgarian layout you were designing?

Sure:
    Here's my original thread, where you can also find BvoFRak's original spreadsheet, if you want to take a look: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1206

And here's my modification with the layouts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2n10cz4sg1h1 … 0v3.1.xlsm. Unlike BvoFRak, I haven't analysed trigraphs in my version.

And a few notes on the organization:
    – the sheets called "Test..." are where you change the layout's keys, you can see detailed information about finger frequency (which finger after which finger in percentage) on the first pivot table, and about row jumping on the second. The table after that represents which finger is responsible for which key. That's where I've changed the first layout's fingering.
    Remember to hit the button "Refresh Pivot Tables" to execute the macro which... well refreshes all the pivot tables for you :) Because they need to be refreshed for some values to be properly updated;
    – the sheets called "Compare..." is where you can more easily compare the results between layouts. With the first column you can choose which layout you want to see the values of others compared two. On the last column you can filter the layouts you wan to see in the charts. You need to have macros enabled for the filtering to work properly.
    – "Graph Tables..." are just tables with information for the charts;
    – "...Source" sheets contain the source data. The one for Bulgarian I've analyzed myself with a program that had some trouble with two characters, which sadly were missing from the results. But no source on the net for that...
    – "Calc..." are the sheets where the data from "...Source" is being formatted to get used by the pivot tables on the "Test..." sheet;
    – "Distance" is showing the distance used in calculating the distance factor for the layouts.

Last edited by pafkata90 (09-Feb-2013 23:26:02)
    vaskozl said:

Some time ago, when I started using Dreymar's extended layer (Great stuff), I tried out The ZXCV shifted to the left. Used it for a couple of days, but it just felt like I am relearning Colemak again (which is weird since it was only 4 uncommon keys that were moved to the left). Additionally even though I live in Europe (Sweden) I have to type on some ANSI boards (ones that don't have a key between z and shift) and the switch was really confusing/stressful.

Interesting observation. It took me a couple of days to feel completely comfortable with the ZXCVB shift! And once I was, there was no problem at all with it - except when having to type on unmodded boards which would throw me off-kilter for a few months before I got used to that too (kinda like how sorting out the QWERTY versus Colemak is confusing for a while after you learn the latter but that too settles in). During those couple of days though, there was a feeling like you describe that it felt "all new" despite moving only a few keys.

This was part of what sparked the "Gestalt" discussion back IIRC: That changing pretty much anything will break your feeling of completeness (allegedly, changing the height of one step in a stair by just a few mm could cause people to trip over that step more often?), but if the change is small your "normal" feeling will settle in again quite rapidly. It's what drives the Tarmak transitional layouts for instance, changing a few keys then getting used to that before changing a few more so you don't have to learn everything at once.

Maybe the ANSI boards are what took you out? Having to switch back and forth while the mod was settling in would be stressful and confusing for sure. Some users have a ZXCVB shift on those too but moving the Z away from the pinky may be too much.

Agreed DreymaR! I think the biggest reason it felt very strange was because the ZXCV have been there even back in the Qwerty days and I was too used to them. Also I noticed that I would get used to the C and V but it was much harder to get used to the ZX because they are very uncommon and I have to rarely use them. E.g. I type for 2 minutes and it feels just like regular Colemak, to the point where I forget that ZX have changed their placed - my regular muscle memory kicks in and I mistype them. Moreover just as I was getting used to it I would go to my laptop which has an ANSI keyboard and I would have to use normal Colemak, making the frustration even greater. Then of course I also had to relearn the ctrl+x,c,v due to the shifted position. Last but not least Colemak is pre-installed on Linux and Mac and hopefully on Windows soon, so I decided to stick with the standard.

I wondered for a lot of time what to use the extra ISO key for but ended up using the "SC056" (the key between Z and Shift on ISO boards) as the modifier to the extended layer I use - which is DreymaR's one with a few modifications. This allows me to both have an extended layer with a modifier that is very easy to hit and keep the caps lock as a backspace just like in original Colemak.

Last edited by vaskozl (10-Feb-2013 11:05:58)

Yes, if you don't use the "LSGT" key for an Angle mod I've seen it used as a modifier like yours. It's probably what I'd use if I needed a mirroring key for the left hand.

However, it's strange to me that your muscle memory gave you such a hard time. The point with this exercise is to adjust your wrist angle and keep the fingering, so I didn't feel like my muscle memory had to be rewired... past those few days of confusion. Ah well, YMMV.

Please note that I've implemented the Angle and Wide mods as keyboard models under Linux so they're layout agnostic. You could then use QWERTY, the pre-installed Colemak or any of my variants with the ergo mod.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Feb-2013 18:24:00)

DreymaR said:

Yes, if you don't use the "LSGT" key for an Angle mod I've seen it used as a modifier like yours.

"LSGT" - does that stand for Less, Greater (<>) which is found on the Scandinavian/German boards? I have always wondered what to call that 102 key...
    When I was doing research on "extended layers" the only person other than you who I found using an extended layer is Rajagra and his Eezeboard on geekhack, but his one is intended for the Truly Ergonomic and it looks messy.

DreymaR said:

However, it's strange to me that your muscle memory gave you such a hard time. The point with this exercise is to adjust your wrist angle and keep the fingering, so I didn't feel like my muscle memory had to be rewired... past those few days of confusion. Ah well, YMMV.

I was trying quite hard to keep my hand at an angle so that the keys align similarly to the way they did before, but I never quite got it and gave up. Somehow the motivation that kept me learning Colemak wasn't there when I switched these keys. I honestly felt that I wasn't gaining much from it and I also, as previously mentioned, didn't want to deviate from the standard Colemak since then it would require even more work to get my layout running.

The wide mod on the other hand was very easy for me to learn, the only exception being the "/,?" key. Even though I don't use it because I'm to lazy to switch the nubs on my keyboards I found it not hard to adapt.

What I consider the real "lifehack" in your bag is the extended layer which I have added the windows + (shift) + t and alt + f4 shortcuts to and rearranged some of the combos. The extended layer now allows me to fully use my computer with no mouse whatsoever simply by using the arrow keys to navigate, letters to jump to a folder, menu key to right lick and enter to click :)

Last edited by vaskozl (10-Feb-2013 20:50:56)

Under Windows, the key is known as Scan Code 56 (SC056), Virtual Key 102 (VK_102). Under Linux, <LSGT> which as you inferred stands for 'less-than/greater', which is an alias for the rarely used <AB00>. I've heard it called <COIN> and code 18 on Mac. Most US peeps seem to refer to it as "that annoying key Europeans use to keep me from reaching the Left Shift" - even though it was IBM that invented it for US use too (IBM didn't realize just how conservative their users were even though they were all typing on a layout from the late 19th century...).

When anyone complain about the stretch to LShift past the LSGT key, I point out that that stretch is the same as the one to the RShift key. Of course, using the Wide mod we now have the reverse situation with a short stretch to the RShift... :)

Yeah, Extend is great and I agree it's more important than the Wide mod by far (but for me the Angle mod is quite important too - at least if you're in need of improved ergonomics without dedicated hardware!). I don't feel the need for an Alt+F4 shortcut myself since I feel that Caps+A+4 is very easy to hit with the left hand. The Cycle Taskbar (Win+T) shortcut is clever; I couldn't get used to that myself but I never tried very hard.

The name 'Extend' is taken from Farkas Máté, the creator of the ingenious Portable Keyboard Layout so you should count him as another of its users at the least. I've had others chime in about how nice it is too so there are more users. In Linux there are some half-baked attempts too, mostly just the nav keys. I'm still trying to figure out how I can make the A=Alt,S=Shift etc keys work under Linux...

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Feb-2013 09:57:43)

I made a new Colemak wallpaper for the Truly Ergonomic 209.

TE-209 Colemak

(DreymaR, I totally bit those Feng Shui colors ;))

Last edited by sgtkabukiman (17-Feb-2013 20:33:13)

Nice! Not to mention, awesome! And this time around, nobody could argue about the fingering I think. ;)

In my original scheme, I used a gold colour for the thumb keys. It goes like this:

Left hand: Yang – warmer
    Right hand: Yin – colder

Wood – green/blue (it's pure luck that the index fingers correspond to an element that has two colors!)
    Fire – red
    Metal – white
    Water – black
    Earth – yellow

So if you want the whole color scheme package, yellow/gold goes for the "earthy" thumbs. ;)

(And no, I don't believe in any of this but it's way pretty hehe.)

Last edited by DreymaR (18-Feb-2013 09:09:50)

Thanks, DreymaR!  Haha, no I think (hope!) not.

I like the colors, I think I will go for the complete look and update the graphic on here for anyone who is interested.  :)

On an unrelated note, (kind of), the TE-209 modifier keys are driving me a little mad…  Maybe I just need more time, but I may not stick with this keyboard much longer, rendering this whole graphic moot.  Doh!