• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Solution to Remote Desktop keyboard layout mapping

Solution to Remote Desktop keyboard layout mapping

• Started by Wedge
    • 4 Replies:

I do a lot of work by remote on client's servers.  An issue I face with using colemak is mapping the keyboard layout on the remote machine.  These are business clients I work with, and many of them would not appreciate me running "unknown" programs on their secure enterprise servers.  So running colemak.exe or installing a new keyboard layout are pretty much out of the question.  In fact I'd prefer not to have to do anything at all on the remote machine.  It would be better if I could just connect, and it would just map my local keyboard layout to whatever layout the remote machine has.

RDP doesn't do this, apparently it used to, sometimes...  But the newest versions do not at all, according to my testing and experimentation.  I've also been through the whole list of rdp registry settings and there is nothing there that's of any use.

Anyway, I've found a solution that works.  It's not perfect, but it's a very good solution until I can find something else.  I use Google Chrome as my primary browser, and there is a Chrome Plugin called: "Chrome RDP".  I installed that, and tested it out, and it instantly works.  No changes or customizations or settings needed at all, it just works.  It is missing some features from the real rdp client, like clipboard integration, which is why I say it's not perfect.

I think this works because it is entirely software based, so it's actually working from your local windows keyboard layout.  Compared to the real RDP client, which is a little bit more hardware/kernel based, and so it bypasses your windows layout.  So, I'd be willing to bet that many third party rdp clients would work in the same way.

Can anyone else share their experiences with this?  Any other rdp clients that are known to work without modifying the remote computer?  Or possibly modifications to the local rdp client that can make it work?

Last edited by Wedge (29-Jan-2013 20:29:41)

This is a problem for me too. I found out that the "pkl" program (the portable Colemak layout application) works well with Remote Desktop. This is what motivated me to use pkl instead of the keyboard driver.

The problem with this approach is you have to use QWERTY to log in to Windows. This can be made sligthly less painful by picking a password that uses only keys that are common to both layouts.

Of course, another approach that works, is to use a hardware implementation. Recently i've been using the Typematrix keyboard, which has a Colemak mode. Very nice keyboard, small and comfortable, though i'm still not used to having Enter and Backspace in the center. YMMV.

Last edited by glauber (04-Mar-2013 22:16:06)

From a far, this looks absolutely excruciating.

When I'm ssh'ing from Linux (under a desktop environment - I'm not sure if it's the same from a console).  My local layout, is what I get to use on the remote.  Which is great.   I don't have to worry about configuring remotes at all.

Having said that, I remotely jumped onto a Windows 8 machine (Dvorak), from Windows 7 (Qwerty), and it worked fine.  I could even toggle my layout on the remote relatively easily.  But it had been set up prior to this.

If however I had say 20 servers, and shared administration with a group of people all with different layouts, that might feel a little like a ball breaker - pre configuring them.

So which way should it work, remote using the clients layout, or the client using the remote's?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Sorry, I'm confused as to how this works: You get Colemak on the remote machine but only as long as you're in the browser, or what?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Windows Remote Desktop is supposed to use the same layout in the remote machine as is set up in the local one. However, this doesn't work consistently, especially if you use keyboard layouts not provided with Windows.

On the other hand, PKL running on the local machine works transparently (at least has been working for me - knock on wood x 3) on the remote machine too. No need to run PKL on the remote machine. This is in fact the main reason i use PKL instead of the keyboard driver.

Unix is nice, isn't it?  :-)

Last edited by glauber (05-Mar-2013 14:01:48)
      • Index
      • Technical
      • Solution to Remote Desktop keyboard layout mapping