• You are not logged in.

3.5 Years; Finally posting my "Experience"

• Started by Wehrdo
    • 1 Replies:

I started learning Colemak about 3.5 years ago. I was already a pretty fast QWERTY typist, but since I was involved with lots of computer related work, I didn't want to injure my hands in the long run, considering I do lots of fine electronic work and play the piano and bass. Keeping my hands healthy is very important to me. I just went cold turkey, and after a week was up to a very usable speed. Since I would often be using computers that weren't my own, I would spend the first part of the morning on QWERTY so I wouldn't forget it. After a couple months, I was typing my typical 90 WPM on both layouts.

Now I switch between layouts effortlessly. I don't do the regular "Morning means QWERTY" anymore, but I use both layouts with most of my time spent using Colemak.

My only complaint would be using vim. I wanted to use vim so I could code with less time on the mouse (thus quicker and easier on the hands), but I couldn't get a decent Colemak layout for vim. There's one made by Shay, but I couldn't find any documentation or easy-read layouts which would have been helpful as a new vim user. I've since given up learning vim for now. Maybe later.

Just thought I'd let the internet know I am a Colemak user. I think I read somewhere that Shay estimates the number of users by multiplying the number of registered forum members by 5. So hey, I just "added" five users to Colemak ;)

EDIT: Just took a test on TypingTest.com using Colemak and got 116 WPM with 85% accuracy, for an adjusted speed of 99 WPM.

Last edited by Wehrdo (11-Mar-2013 02:37:36)

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your story!

I just use vim out of the box. That's the easiest and best in my opinion, since vim is a tool you expect to find on *nix computers and I wouldn't want to start each new encounter with a configuring session.

What I do like to use though, is an Extend layer which lets me access the arrow keys from the home position not just in vim but from anything. See my sig topic if you haven't already. For my full Extend layer I do have to configure Linux or Windows, but in XKB there are light versions that could be used out of the box (but configuration would still be needed). If I'm without my Extend layer I do feel a bit sad but you can't have everything, now, can you? ;)

Last edited by DreymaR (11-Mar-2013 09:23:49)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***