• You are not logged in.

setxkbmap oddness

• Started by girzel
    • 3 Replies:

Hi,

I'm using colemak on archlinux, with the stumwpm tiling window manager. I'm a heavy emacs user, and stumpwm also uses a ctrl-based prefix key, so I've set capslock back to control. I also use the compose key, and like having two meta keys, so I reset Ralt as well.

That's just background: my actual problem is that stumpwm reads its prefix key differently depending on how I set my system to colemak. If I do a basic:

setxkbmap us -variant colemak

Then everything works as expected. I have Stumpwm's prefix key set to Ctrl-t, and that's correctly remapped to what appears to be Ctrl-f on my QWERTY keyboard.

What I'd like to use is this:

setxkbmap -option 'grp:shifts_toggle' -variant ',colemak' -layout 'us,us'

In this case, after I've switched to colemak, Stumpwm reads the first keystroke incorrectly: I need to hit the actual Ctrl-t key (what ought to send a "g" under Colemak) to make it respond. After that it reads keys correctly. So for instance if I want to send a "Ctrl-t Ctrl-t" to Stumpwm, I have to press "Ctrl-t Ctrl-f" (according to the QWERTY keylabels).

I've read a couple of threads where incorrect Ctrl-{X} keypresses are due to incorrect installation of Colemak. In my case, it came with my system, though I suppose my editing of the keymap file might have broken something. On the other hand, it feels a bit like a setxkbmap problem since it works correctly depending on the invocation. I've asked on the Stumpwm mailing list, but with no response so far.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
    Eric

Not familiar, no.

There's nothing in the Colemak layout definition making this a Colemak specific problem, so you should have the same result with another us variant; is that the case?

Also, if you've edited the us file I'd try again with a virgin copy to isolate the problem further.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks for the tip! I should have thought of trying it with another variant, and sure enough dvorak exhibits the same behavior, so I guess it's either a xkbmap weirdness, or else some particular interaction between xkbmap and Stumpwm. I have edited the 'us' file, but only to comment out two lines in the colemak variant section, so I don't expect that's the problem. I'll pursue this further, though I don't know yet where to go for xkbmap questions.

Thanks again for the reply, and for your other posts on this forum, they've been very helpful for this lurker.

Yours,
    Eric

Indeed, where does one discuss xkb oddities. I don't know if there's a thriving forum community for that but if there is one then I think I'd like to start following it. Should look into that...

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***