• You are not logged in.

Bug with Windows 7 + colemak layout

• Started by therealmeal
    • 2 Replies:

I recently downloaded and installed the colemak windows binary, and it worked fine for several days.  Then I had to restart, and when it finished rebooting, I couldn't login to my account anymore.  The screen would just go black and then log me back out.  This happened even in safe mode.  Other accounts could still log in.  It had been a long time since I installed the colemak layout, so I didn't suspect it, but thankfully I thought to check the event log.  I saw that winlogon.exe was having problems starting, and the debugging information mentioned colemak2.dll.  I deleted the two dlls with that name and suddenly everything was working again.

So it seems there may be some kind of bug with Windows 7.  I have attached some event log data in case it helps.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          3/13/2013 8:16:48 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      ...
    Description:
    Faulting application name: winlogon.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79fa6
    Faulting module name: Colemak2.dll, version: 1.0.3.40, time stamp: 0x45fdd522
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000003df8
    Faulting process id: 0x113c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce206258c810ae
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\Colemak2.dll
    Report Id: 9abac95c-8c55-11e2-893d-005056c00008

FWIW, I found the .klc file and compiled the installer, and my first logout/login attempt worked.

Odd, haven't heard of that one before.

I use Portable Keyboard Layout these days. Less intrusive, easy to plop onto machines where I don't have admin privileges, portable on a USB stick and it carries a lot of extra goodies. Works very nice with my Win7 at least (but you obviously won't have it at logon which doesn't bother me).

See my PKL sig topic if you're interested in PKL's extra possibilities.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***