• You are not logged in.

DopplerMak!

• Started by DreymaR
    • 16 Replies:
    DOPPLER COLEMAK

DopplerColemak.png?dl=1

I know, I know - you were expecting YAKL and instead you got a really silly joke.
    Based on a little something I found on Facebook today, but that version had the wrong layout... ;)

Then again, maybe the GeekHacker in you got a really silly idea just about now...

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Jun-2017 13:47:21)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Really, nothing? Big, fat, nothing at all?

I thought it was rather amusing... :(

Then again, I've been too much of a physicist for these boards before. :þ

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Sep-2012 18:46:55)

Rather embarrassingly I didn't get it.  The only thing I noticed was the down arrow on the caps... ?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Oh. Well, silly me then. For anyone else who didn't get it: Red shift is when a light source is moving away from you (wavelengths increase); blue shift the opposite. Useful in astronomy, for instance. :)

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Sep-2012 18:54:22)

Damn, totally missed it.  And the down arrow on the caps?  Or is that the clue?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Nah, the down arrow on the caps comes from DreymaR's big bag o' tricks – it's a modifier key that works the same way as Shift/AltGr, but with a different layer of symbols/actions.

Actually, that's not quite the right answer Pafkata. I hadn't given the down arrow a thought since it's been there for a long time, but it's in fact from a German keyboard I once saw and simply means Caps Lock. I found it prettier than the text label (particularly on that row), so I adopted that custom.

However, you're partially right because I seem to remember that I thought the arrow symbol was less bastant and therefore obfuscates the use of that key a bit so different users could do what they want with it. Some people use it for Backspace too you know. ;)

Once again, I get the feeling that I've surfed way too many keyboard-related pages...

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Nov-2012 09:35:56)

Hehe, it seems to me that I've surfed too few.. Thanks for the clarification. Always good to learn new stuff.

Okay, so enough about the Doppler Effect for now (proving that I am not, after all, Sheldon of The Big Bang Theory).

Here's one many if not most of you should get though:

Space-FinalFrontier.png?dl=1

:-)

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Jun-2017 13:46:23)

DreymaR said:

Actually, that's not quite the right answer Pafkata. I hadn't given the down arrow a thought since it's been there for a long time, but it's in fact from a German keyboard I once saw and simply means Caps Lock. I found it prettier than the text label (particularly on that row), so I adopted that custom.

However, you're partially right because I seem to remember that I thought the arrow symbol was less bastant and therefore obfuscates the use of that key a bit so different users could do what they want with it. Some people use it for Backspace too you know. ;)

Once again, I get the feeling that I've surfed way too many keyboard-related pages...

My keyboard has that down arrow key. It also has a smaller down arrow key on scroll lock. Just like on the image on the page you linked. Hence I would assume that the symbol signifies that the keys locks when pressed down. I agree it looks rather nice, exactly mirroring she shift key.

Last edited by vaskozl (13-Apr-2013 14:00:50)

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

I hate all of you: I want you to say ROFL, not debate key arrows! :D

Sweden has strong links to Germany in my impression, so that makes sense. And yes, it looks nice.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Apr-2013 09:50:43)

Sorry DreymaR I don't think I get the joke correctly so I chose to stay smart and quiet :P

There are no stupid questions? ;)

Ugh, I wrote up a decent explanation for the two pics above but a Ctrl-W accident ate it. You could always look up "Doppler red shift" and "Space – The Final Frontier" on Wikipedia I suppose...

Meanwhile and a propos, here's another joke image I made a while back:

ShiftHappens.png?dl=1

Last edited by DreymaR (22-Jun-2017 13:45:38)

Star trek reference – that would explain why I didn't get it (I was a baby when they were still running :D). And yeah, I know well about the Doppler Effect, just didn't get the joke with they keyboard. Anyway – an explained joke loses its charm :P

And btw if you'd pressed Ctrl–Shift–T that should have reopened the closed tab and in case you're using Chrome (possibly other browsers too, I don't know) all your filled information in the text fields would still be there.

Last edited by pafkata90 (15-Apr-2013 14:10:19)

Yeah, I like Chrome that way (I use it at home). This was a Ctrl-W+Firefox incident though.

I'm watching Star Trek: TOS these days! Old, but charming. I wasn't around for the first airing either.

I'm an infoholic, so to me an explained joke can sometimes be a double bonanza: Fun plus learning! :)

DreymaR said:

Sweden has strong links to Germany in my impression, so that makes sense. And yes, it looks nice.

As a matter of fact no Swedish keyboard I've ever seen has that locking arrow key. The only ones I've seen with it are the German QWERTZ Cherry keyboards (which is what I'm currently using).

DreymaR said:

Yeah, I like Chrome that way (I use it at home). This was a Ctrl-W+Firefox incident though.

That "ctrl+shift+t" shortcut works on most modern browsers including firefox.  Otherwise as the general geek public has agreed - all browser suck beyond repair. Chrome sucks the least, but I'm shamefully using Firefox because I can't live without the wonders of pentadactyl, where reopening the last closed tab is as simple as 'u'.

DreymaR said:

Meanwhile and a propos, here's another joke image I made a while back:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145 … appens.png

This is by far the best joke :D

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

DreymaR said:

I just tested it on Firefox and it does save the content of the text field too. Anyway :)