• You are not logged in.

A newbie to proper touch-typing's experience

• Started by caspersoong
    • 21 Replies:

Hi all! I never touch-typed qwerty properly even though I had been using it for about 5 years (I never typed when I was younger). I always used my index finger for typing "C", right middle finger to type "M", ring finger to type "P", and so on. I also used only the left shift key. Yet I could reach 70+ wpm on qwerty even after making corrections with my fingers flying everywhere. I then took a touch-typing course in qwerty and found it extremely uncomfortable. Having to re-learn typing, I chose to learn Colemak as it seemed to be the best for me. I am a student, not a Malay but can read, speak and type Malay. Interestingly, I used http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/ and it stated that Colemak is the best layout for many of the documents that I have typed in Malay!
    I started learning Colemak last week and typed a few hours a day on it. I am using a MacBook Pro, with OS X 10.8.3. I absolutely love the onscreen keyboard (Keyboard Viewer in the language and text menu bar item) that helped me through my first days with Colemak. For people also using Macs, it is a great feature. And if you are quitting qwerty cold turkey, you can use the Mac's in-built Dictation feature when you are tired of typing.

Right now I am capped at about 45 wpm because I am still not used to Colemak.

I have a few questions, though. Are there any modifications to the standard way of typing that can make it even better (other than ergonomic keyboards or physical changes to the keys)? Is there any benefit to retaining my ability in qwerty? And if you are typing a long series of characters in uppercase, do you repeatedly switch from left to right shift and back as the actively typing hand changes from right to left and back? It feels a bit awkward to me. Also, how do you type the right shift without moving your wrist or feeling awkward? And should I change to Colemak on my phone as well? Thanks!

[Edit - I am still quite unfamiliar with the layout and make mistakes often but I have surpassed my Qwerty speed! It took me 2 weeks. Colemak is really much more comfortable and faster!]

P.S. For people with jailbroken iOS devices, do you want to use Colemak on your device? If so, please contact iamharic, a Cydia developer who develops ABCD Keyboard, which has the potential to apply the Colemak layout. I have contacted him, and he said that he would add the layout in his free time. But that was a while ago, and he might have forgotten... You can find his email by searching for ABCD Keyboard in Cydia and tapping on Contact Developer. This will be especially useful for people wishing for Colemak on the iPad.

Last edited by caspersoong (09-Apr-2013 10:43:58)

1. Are there any modifications to the standard way of typing that can make it even better (other than ergonomic keyboards or physical changes to the keys)?
    Normal mechanical keyboards, or better, a Kinesis mechanical keyboard.

2. Is there any benefit to retaining my ability in qwerty?
    The benefit is too small compared to the maintenance cost.

3. And if you are typing a long series of characters in uppercase, do you repeatedly switch from left to right shift and back as the actively typing hand changes from right to left and back? It feels a bit awkward to me.
    I use AutoHotKey so by using a script I can turn on/off Capslock when typing in Colemak (Shift-Capslock or Control-Capslock toggle Capslock).

4. Also, how do you type the right shift without moving your wrist or feeling awkward?
    The awkward feel will be diminished after two weeks of practising.

5.And should I change to Colemak on my phone as well?
    Not necessary, since on the phone we use only two fingers to hunt and peck.

6.Thanks!
    You are welcome!

Last edited by Tony_VN (04-Apr-2013 16:32:56)

If I take a couple of questions from Tony's post's structure (sorry, I haven't read thoroughly the op):
    3. If it's a short word with only one switch between the shifts, that's how I'd do it. If it's longer, I would either hold only the left shift for the whole word (and use the most comfortable fingers for each letter), or toggle CapsLock (I'm also using AHK and my toggle for capslock is left+right shift). You don't necessarily need to remove the CapsLock from your keyboard though, there are situations when it's useful. Just keep it on a "forgotten" key, far far away, or use a key-combination shortcut.

5. I think Colemak would actually feel more awkward than Qwerty on a full on-screen phone keyboard, because most of the letters are close together on the home row, and "finger rolls" are actually counter productive on a two-thumb finger typing. But even if I'm wrong about that, Switching to Colemak on your phone would require you to learn that completely separately from your desktop. Keeping Qwerty on your phone won't mess up with your learning on Colemak on your computer – 100%.

If you want optimization for touch screen input – or even a brain exercising experiment – I can recommend you to check out MessagEase keyboard. See this thread for discussion on it: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1567
    A few members of the forum are happily using it now and I, for myself, can say I've never been happier or faster typing on a phone (with the exception of my the physical keyboard on my last Xperia Pro – better comfort of course, but actually the same max speed).

Regarding the shifting, when I started to touch type, I forced myself to alternate, which was a bit of a challenge.  I got used to it though.  Stick with it, you can deviate to whatever feels comfortable later.

As has been said, if you have more than a few capital letters, reach for the capslock.  Or you could even try sticky keys (much nicer...).  I struggle to hold and depress the shift lightly -  I feel it's a bit of an assault on my fingers.

I think I actually find the left shift more of an issue on my laptop in terms of twisting.  Then again it's a shorter key than the one on the right, which might not help.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Thank you so much to everyone for your answers. I really appreciate it!

As for other modifications and possibilities, look at my signature post – especially the color-coded fingerings (and note that I use an optional WideAngle mod for even better ergonomic benefit) and the Extend layer.

These aren't implemented on the Mac that I know of (although I think there's a Wide modded Colemak layout out there somewhere) but it should give you a few ideas of what you can do! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I keep making errors and mixing up the order of letters that I type. Do you have any suggestions that may help me, including tips and software? I have Parallels, so I can run all Windows software as well. What is the best software to continually improve my typing? Thank you for your help!

I've started my switch to Colemak on 28th March 2013, awkwardness starts diminishing after 10 days.

I trained using gtypist (ugly, text mode, unix software). I went through Colemak tutorial series, I also generated my own drills. I used word frequency data and my own script.

My current problem is: I can type with 97+ percent accuracy on typeracer, but only if I limit myself to ~30WPM, if I try to type any faster my error rate jumps sky high. My accuracy also sucks, when I do software development, or compose a message.
    Do you have similar experience? How do you cope with it?

The impatience is quite normal for you guys. You certainly want to type really fast as soon as possible. But if your accuracy is not up to par, you will only make mistakes faster. For the worse, the mistakes imprint in your muscle memory and let you repeat the mistakes again and again.

So the keyword is accuracy. You have to keep the accuracy above 98% most of the time, and the average speed will steadily increase, on its own accord.

Last edited by Tony_VN (10-Apr-2013 15:04:04)
    pafkata90 said:

5. I think Colemak would actually feel more awkward than Qwerty on a full on-screen phone keyboard, because most of the letters are close together on the home row, and "finger rolls" are actually counter productive on a two-thumb finger typing.

Very true in my experience.

My favorite qwerty-like keyboard for phones is probably dvorak, since its high hand-alternation rate translates to high thumb-alternation rate.  That should already be available on cydia (though honestly, you need an android - for some stupid reason, since keyboards are software and ought to be infinitely flexible regardless of platform - if you want to get at the real touchscreen-optimized keyboards like messagease).

Not sure what you're saying here lalop? MessagEase is available on several platforms including Windows and Apple phones.

I think that what he meant was that MessagEase cannot replace the default keyboard in iOS. MessagEase is only available as a standalone app. Even Cydia doesn't have it. The best alternative for faster typing is Touchpal keyboard which is available in Cydia and can replace the standard keyboard, but it does not support the Colemak keyboard layout.

Also, should I aim for a low viscosity in Amphetype?

Last edited by caspersoong (11-Apr-2013 12:06:50)

Sorry but what does that mean in plain English?

Do you have to type in MessagEase, and then copy over the text to another app?

Or can you just swap out the iOS keyboard and drop in MessagEase?  It piqued my interest seeing the virtuosity of high WPMs.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Sorry for the convoluted English! You're right, you need to type in the messagease app then copy and paste into other apps. It doesn't replace the keyboard in all apps.

On iOS, that is, and it is an iOS limitation.

Android allows to completely replace the standard keyboard, and that's what MessagEase does on Android.

My only problem is that I cannot get my version of Android to change the "unlock screen" keyboard to MessagEase.  Other than that--I'm using MessagEase in every "app" I have on my phone.  Apparently newer versions of Android provide the ability to change this, but I have a lower-end phone (LG Optimus V) that runs 2.3/Gingerbread.

Last edited by UltraZelda64 (11-Apr-2013 20:55:47)

Yeah, that's what I meant.

UltraZelda64 said:

Apparently newer versions of Android provide the ability to change this, but I have a lower-end phone (LG Optimus V) that runs 2.3/Gingerbread.

I see several 4.x roms.  It looks very complicated, though, might not be worth it.

Last edited by lalop (11-Apr-2013 23:07:18)

@caspersong, thanks for clarifying.  Seems that Android is at least going in the right direction.

I showed MessageEase to an iPhone user, he took one look at it, said it was ugly and moved along!

--

Haha, yes iOS users tend to value user interface and design very highly.
    Can someone help answer my questions? When I type I usually either think too fast to read too fast and that results in me typing the next bit even though I haven't finished typing the word I currently type. I also tend to mix up the order of the letters I type. Does anyone have any advice for me on this to stop these kind of issues?
    Besides, is low viscosity good on Amphetype?

Thank you in advance!

When I type I usually either think too fast to read too fast and that results in me typing the next bit even though I haven't finished typing the word I currently type. I also tend to mix up the order of the letters I type. Does anyone have any advice for me on this to stop these kind of issues?
    Type slowly to get accuracy at least 98%. Then try to increase speed bit by bit. If your accuracy falls below 98%, slow down to a comfortable pace.

Besides, is low viscosity good on Amphetype?
    Yes, it means you type in rhythms.

I tried to make Amphetype's creator realize that 'viscosity' is a poor term, but he didn't do anything about it. It suggest that you're trying to slow down or speed up but your "viscosity" prevents you from doing so. The natural interpretation of the term would then be that a low viscosity lets you change speed easily!

What he meant is speed inconsistency I think? So with a low whateveryoucallit your speed is more stable. Maybe the better option would be to report stability instead, turning the metric the other way up.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Apr-2013 09:48:01)

I agree, viscosity is inapt. I still am not sure I understand what it means.