• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Ubuntu 12.10 lock screen won't work and terminal shortcut is wrong

Ubuntu 12.10 lock screen won't work and terminal shortcut is wrong

• Started by Mondane
    • 6 Replies:

I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 and noticed that, when using Colemak, the shortcut for locking the screen won't work:

CTRL+ALT+L

Also, the shortcut for showing a terminal, stays on the same physical key:

CTRL+ALT+T

when I expected to have to press the new T position in Colemak, I now have to press

CTRL+ALT+G

Can this be solved?

Last edited by Mondane (12-Apr-2013 09:24:10)

Not cleanly afaik - redefine the keyboard shortcuts to their QWERTY equivalents.  So CTRL+ALT+F for terminal, etc.

Last edited by lalop (12-Apr-2013 16:01:59)

That would be an option, but not in my situation; several people use the system with QWERTY.

On my Ubuntu 12.04 that's not the case: Ctrl-Alt-T starts the terminal, not G.

Maybe we should clear up how exactly you use Colemak? I have it selected as the main layout from the keyboard layout GUI panel, using the layout in the us file (with modifications of my own which shouldn't affect this).

What does 'setxkbmap -print -verbose8' tell you? How about xev? 'xprop -root | grep XKB'?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

From a bit of googling, it seems that ubuntu uses the top layout (in your keyboard preferences list) for keyboard shortcuts.  You'll have to change the ordering then log out/in.

I ran into a similar issue on Debian under Gnome a while back.  Sounds familiar.  I was having problems in Gnome terminal.  It trashed my brain at the time.

Kind of related  and rather annoying, is that 'Opera Next' is still using the Qwerty shortcuts as default, which makes it useless for me (Debian Wheezy, Xfce v.4.8).

Come on vendors - it's the 21st century!

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

lalop said:

From a bit of googling, it seems that ubuntu uses the top layout (in your keyboard preferences list) for keyboard shortcuts.  You'll have to change the ordering then log out/in.

Indeed, I had the layout as 2nd for learning. Now I've changed it and the problems are gone. Pretty annoying bug I might say.

• Index
      • Technical
      • Ubuntu 12.10 lock screen won't work and terminal shortcut is wrong