• You are not logged in.

German Wikipedia Article Launch!

• Started by vilem
    • 16 Replies:

Finally I got round to finishing the colemak article at the german wikipedia! It is located at https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colemak and I hope you guys have suggestions for improvement.

Any ideas how it could be made to look more organised?? (",)

Last edited by vilem (01-Jun-2007 02:20:35)

I only understood a few words, but from the looks, it's great...good job :).

BTW, why is there a trash bin with a question mark at the top of the page? Does that mean the page wasn't yet approved?

Last edited by AGK (01-Jun-2007 13:24:47)

Someone has proposed the deletion of the article... bla, bla, but it was obvious they would do that! All I can do is defend my points for the article to be kept.

Even with my very rusty german, looks like an excellent job!

best of luck on the fight to keep it there though I doubt you can overcome the blatant bias by the gang of 500.

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia

Wales is right about one thing, though. This fact does have enormous policy implications. If Wikipedia is written by occasional contributors, then growing it requires making it easier and more rewarding to contribute occasionally. Instead of trying to squeeze more work out of those who spend their life on Wikipedia, we need to broaden the base of those who contribute just a little bit.

Unfortunately, precisely because such people are only occasional contributors, their opinions aren't heard by the current Wikipedia process. They don't get involved in policy debates, they don't go to meetups, and they don't hang out with Jimbo Wales. And so things that might help them get pushed on the backburner, assuming they're even proposed.

Out of sight is out of mind, so it's a short hop to thinking these invisible people aren't particularly important. Thus Wales's belief that 500 people wrote half an encyclopedia. Thus his assumption that outsiders contribute mostly vandalism and nonsense. And thus the comments you sometimes hear that making it hard to edit the site might be a good thing.

Thats a really interesting article which once more shows how people can prove stuff which isn't true by using the wrong information! Thanks KBS!

Who made the Spanish wikipedia entry for Colemak?? I was really stunned to see that it has vastly expanded and seems to be a translation of the German article! https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colemak

Ahh, it seems that the translation was done with google translate by R2D2! Please tell me if I am mistaken though.

Further news from the wikipedia frontline ;D : it looks as though things are changing to our favour and the article might be kept!!

Last edited by vilem (04-Jun-2007 22:12:22)

Yes, I did. Since I know no German but I know English, I used Google Translator to English and then I wrote it in Spanish.

And I wonder why English Wikipedia doesn't want the article.

—R2D2! // Ilhuıtemoc δ

My congratulations Vilem (and R2D2), and I hope you win this fight for the articles! The keyboard is mightier than the... uhhh... something less mighty I suppose.  :)

It'll be very nice if several non-English wikipedias have their Colemak articles, for the next round in the English one to succeed. Colemak has already proved some more staying power since the last round and there has been some more work to cite, but it also helps to see that there are analogous articles around.

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Jun-2007 08:28:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Oh, well thanks a lot R2! Great job you've done there!

BTW, wouldn't you actually want to add a picture of the layout to the article?! xD

Last edited by vilem (05-Jun-2007 16:49:24)

It's done, and using this image that looks similar to the other layout files:
    800px-KB_US-Colemak.svg.png

Last edited by R2D2! (05-Jun-2007 23:57:58)

—R2D2! // Ilhuıtemoc δ

Awesome, thanks!

Yay! My prophecy has come true... the article was deleted. FUCK! lol oh well, I can always recreate it in half a year or so.

Just translate it in to one more language each month for the next six months and then back into german. 

:-)

How about Japanese next ?

Last edited by keyboard samurai (09-Jun-2007 06:52:24)

Ugh, so sorry to hear that Vilem. No chance of fighting back with weighty arguments either?

The thing was that, without actually saying anything, this guy just came along and deleted it.

Well, if that is the case can't you just file a complaint or something? Or simply repost it?

I will do it in half a year or so. If I do it now, they will just delete it again and disable recreation of the article.