• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Learning to type, considering Colemak, looking for advice

Learning to type, considering Colemak, looking for advice

• Started by CliC
    • 9 Replies:

Well, after 30+ years of using various computers, I've decided I waste too much time not really knowing how to touch-type. I'm not really a hunt-and-pecker, as I know about where most of the keys are, but I think I still need some "eye-assist" as I commit too many errors when totally looking away from the keyboard (but also get frustrated when I look up and see my Caps Lock was on...)

I've read numerous times about how bad a layout QWERTY is, so was looking at some alternatives, and came across Colemak. However, since I don't predominantly use my own keyboard(s), I'm worried about cross-system typing ability. I type on Windows PCs, Linux/BSD machines, old Sun boxes, and occasionally on some proprietary industrial control hardware that has a QWERTY layout. In addition, I have several "special" keyboards of my own: a Unicomp (my favorite), and old Model M, a Deck Legend (cool but I can't seem to type worth a damn on it), Bluetooth chiclet ones (Logitech K810 and a Sony PS3 keyboard), the aforementioned Sun Type 5, etc.

A couple of them are backlit (the Deck and the Logitech); while in theory I won't need that after I learn, it will help while I'm learning (assuming I can change the key lettering somehow), and I still like it for keys I don't use in touch typing (function and special keys).

It appears there's software to switch layouts on Windows machines, and I suppose could use XKB for the Linux boxes and perhaps the Suns. That'll take care of most of my typing, though there will be a few cases (see proprietary hardware above) where I won't have options.

I also can't change the keycaps on some of my own keyboards (keys in different rows have different pitch and whatnot), so learning will be a challenge unless I get some stickers to put on them or something.

Anyway, I'm looking for thoughts and advice from others who may have similar situations. Also, am I crazy trying to do Colemak? I program some but not for a living, and I'm not writing a novel, so is QWERTY an acceptable alternative if blazing speed or max comfort at very high typing volume is not required?

Any thoughts/tips/suggestion welcome.

Thanks,
    CliC

Do you access most of these systems remotely (in which case you have a better chance of your layout being preserved, depending on remote software) or physically?  If physically, how many would you have (to be safe, let's say administrator) access to change?  Obviously, the Colemak/QWERTY ratio makes a huge difference in determining whether learning is "worth it".

The keyboards shouldn't make any difference, as the layout is most often determined by the machine itself.

It's generally not considered a good idea to train by looking at your keyboard - this can lead to bad habits. Rather, you should print out a copy of your layout and put it near the screen.  This makes backlight and keycap swapping irrelevant.  In fact, I generally get annoyed by backlight because it only serves as an additional distraction for no reason, and retaining QWERTY keycaps can be useful on those occasions where (due to hard defaults) you need to type QWERTY.

Last edited by lalop (05-Jul-2013 22:19:10)

I suppose that you are good citizen who try to do everything the right way correctly. We live in a crazy world, so being sane all the times is considered crazy, according to society's standards.

As lalop already said, most Colemak users do not change the keycaps physically or use stickers, but leave it intact. That is good in the long run, since you will eventually get rid of the bad habit of secretly peeking at the keyboard while typing.

You should choose the right time to switch, when you do not need to type a lot and so switching cannot hurt your credibility much.

Since you don't know to touch type, to learn Colemak is double effort - learning how to touch type and learning Colemak at the same time. Your fingers will have to be stronger especially your pinkies. Make sure you rest after long practice sessions for finger muscles to recover.

Occassionally you will have to do hunt and peck again in Qwerty computers. That will be fine, since Colemak retains 10 Qwerty keys, and you can't forget Qwerty easily after 30+ years with them. Old habits die hard.

Last edited by Tony_VN (05-Jul-2013 04:00:07)

As a Linux user, and one that has to remote shell a lot, all I have to do is swap my layout locally, I can then SSH onto another machine, and not have to touch that machine's layout.  If on the other hand I need to walk down to the server room, it's more of a pain, well at least I think it is, as you need to be root to use loadkeys.

I think windows remote sessions are different, I think you get the remote layout when you Rdesktop.   That would be a pain for me.  I chose Dvorak in part for these rare occasions, but switching layouts isn't the easiest thing on Windows, despite what others say.  Newer versions (Windows 8) seem to do this better.

I was in the same boat, I'd gone for far too long in my mind, not touch typing.

It's hard to say what the gains are at this point.  But a rough summary goes something like this:  It took no time learning the key map, literally a day or two.  Don't bother swithing your keycaps (really, don't bother).  The first few weeks were really slow going, and a bit of a fight.  When I finally reached about 30WPM - I felt I was getting somewhere.    From there, practice and use edges your WPM slowly forward.

The gains:
    Using the command line is far easier.   Typing in general is easier and isn't so much a bottle neck.  Less neck strain.  Faster WPM. 

The pains:
    Feels like a long period of adjustment.  Typing still can feel alien.   Touch typing hard to get used to.  Loss of Qwerty skills.  Ridicule and ill understanding from peers (I try not to mention it.)  Switching layouts not easy across OSs (not a problem if you spend time on one PC.)

Stephen Fry pointed out that it takes longer to learn how to touch type than to learn to fly a plane.   So you might be better off saving the time and learning something else.   It's such an investment in time and energy (that's not to say it won't pay dividends), that you'll be reluctant to give it up!

To get things into perspective, there are MessageEase users on this forum who have notched up pretty impressive WPMs on their phones in a short amount of time.

There may be other efficiencies you can make (without learning to touch type), software and tools.

The other downside is that you might bore your friends senseless by trying to explain typing efficiencies of using a different layout.  But don't worry there are support groups for that kind of thing (See: Colemak Forum.)

I'd been using computers for 20+ years without touch typing, and I'm sure my hunt and pecking was in part responsible for some physical injuries.  As a late learner I didn't find the fingering that easy.  If you are a guitarist, flutist or pianist you might find it much easer than I.

Seems a shame to not touch type on those museum exhibits.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Thanks for all the replies.

To answer some of the questions: most access will be physically to the various machines, though in some cases I can use remote logins (VNC, RDP, SSH) instead. I will have admin access to some, not to others, but with things like PKL it appears that won't be too much of a problem on Windows. On my Unix/X machines I will have admin access, so no issue there (except maybe on the old Suns).

As for switching keycaps, it's encouraging to hear that it doesn't really make a difference, and may even promote bad habits. It might seriously confuse someone else who uses the machine after I do and sees the keyboard speaking in tongues, but that is manageable. It'll also be nice not needing backlighting anymore for the most part (though I still think it's handy for function keys and such, which I don't really ever see myself learning to use blindly).

And I'm committed to learning touch typing, of some scheme or another. It might be an arduous task to learn, but I'm convinced the alternative is costing me time. Besides, I was crazy enough to teach myself how to ride a unicycle, and I don't think it can be much harder (or more frustrating :)) than that.

So I guess my question comes down to this then: are the advantages in comfort, avoidance of RSI, or speed in using Colemak worth the (seemingly minor) effort of being able to use it on multiple machines, most of which are not my own.

Thanks again,
    CliC

I wouldn't count on increased speed.  Normally, people can get to about the same speed regardless of layout.  Dvorak might have a little bit of an edge here due to hand-alternation, but not nearly as much as back when we were using typewriters.

The real difference is comfort.  And, unfortunately, that's something you'll have to judge for yourself.  There are no serious studies I know of on the advantages/disadvantages of keyboard layouts for health (even if there were, people still wouldn't switch from QWERTY, I guess).  On the upside, thanks to computers, it's easier than ever to collect statistics like distance traveled, repeated finger usage, etc (see Carplax, Keyboard Layout Analyzer, etc) and the story there is pretty telling, even if we have to interpret the data ourselves.

Last edited by lalop (06-Jul-2013 12:23:42)

Your maximum speed will be the same regardless of layout you are using.

For comfort, since Colemak put 10 most frequent used keys to the home row, your fingers won't have to move as much, and therefore more relaxed.

RSI is another matter which keyboard layout plays a minor role. Main roles is typing posture, using keyboards and mouse, sufficient rest etc.

I've been learning Colemak for almost a month now and just breaking 50 WPM average compared to my 60-70 WPM average on QWERTY. Apart from comfort it's also much quieter! I do type racers and training at night and with QWERTY I was aware that I may be disturbing people in the next room but with Colemak there's hardly any noise at all.

One other thing when you're learning, it's much harder typing forum posts than copying text that you can see.

Twoddle said:

I've been learning Colemak for almost a month now and just breaking 50 WPM average compared to my 60-70 WPM average on QWERTY. Apart from comfort it's also much quieter! I do type racers and training at night and with QWERTY I was aware that I may be disturbing people in the next room but with Colemak there's hardly any noise at all.

One other thing when you're learning, it's much harder typing forum posts than copying text that you can see.

I've noticed as well, I'm guessing because you have think about what you are going to type while your typing.

Stephen Fry is funny. However, I've spent a lot more time typing than flying (unfortunately?) so the time spent learning Colemak has been well worth it for me! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Experiences
      • Learning to type, considering Colemak, looking for advice