• You are not logged in.

Will I lose my qwerty skills if I move to colemak?

• Started by harishankar
  • 27 Replies:

pinkieache in the other thread reminded me: check out the one-handed dvorak layouts:

KB_Dvorak_Left.svg

It could eliminate the need for lateral movement almost entirely.

Edit: It's hard to tell whether the right-hand layout

KB_Dvorak_Right.svg

(possibly shifted one to the left) has better digraphs.  Improved ones include. ON, ES (which are even made two-handed in this case), while  worsened include ER/RE,

Last edited by lalop (31-Jul-2013 21:53:42)

I get the feeling that Dvorak put a lot of time into the one handed layouts, but it doesn't look that great does it?  The numeral placment looks most odd.

There must be some method in the madness.

Have you statistically analylized them @lalop?

Last edited by pinkyache (31-Jul-2013 12:36:05)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

I'm afraid I don't really know how to analyze free-handed layouts.  Just glancing, it doesn't look so bad to me.  The numbers have to go somewhere (though I have to wonder whether the relative placements really reflect frequency), the vowels are mostly on one side.  Some common letters are in weird out-of-way places (n) would be my main complaint, I guess due to lack of space.  All in all, it does resemble a squished dvorak (aside from the vowels being on the opposite side).

Edit: a real complaint might be that he didn't take the opportunity to move any of the command keys (enter,backspace,shift,ctrl,alt,altgr) closer.  To be fair, some would not have existed at the time.  This could be a real area for improvement.

Last edited by lalop (31-Jul-2013 21:53:10)